LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-24-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
Gravel driveway ; use a pipe?

Has anyone tried to fab or make a pipe for their snowblower cutting blade similar to those that we used to put on pick up plows to keep from tearing driveways and lawns up during the plow season. I used one on all my plows and it worked great , but it would not cut snow in a driveway that was driven on for days, so did have to stay on top of that but it really worked. After we had a frozen base you could remove the pipe and put it on when it thawed , or like I did pick up a a 2nd plow for scrap and keep the pipe on just that one. I am thinking of taking my number 2 an old ariens and building a pipe for the cutting blade and seeing if it would skim on the gravel and sand with out launching a debris field and worse hearing the rocks etc being ran through the blower. I cringe at the thought of my new (2015) (28 Deluxe 921 )being used until every thing is froze , even with shoes at 1" i will get this. So I am wondering if anyone hat tried this. It is a little late here in NW Mi.to try as no snow but I am already looking for the right pipe to begin the fab, It will be done for next year though.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-24-2018, 08:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 404
Garage
I plowed for years with many trucks and never heard of such a thing. I would think it would push the stone as a dozer blade would rather than rolling over the stone.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #3 of 11 Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The pipe was cut from end to end on a old mill the slot was the thickness of the thickness of the bolt on blade of the plow, with the plow raised all you had to do was hold the slot to the plow bottom and tap it on to the blade,they even got fancy and started welding the brackets in place for both western and meyers that let you use the bolt for the plow blade. It went over grass like butter and it would not scalp gravel and sand from the drive way. Here in Mich. in the country paved and concrete drives are few and far between so this was a very good fit for the area. But no it did not act like a bulldozer, the rounded bottom let it ride up over the stones and gravel.
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #4 of 11 Old 03-24-2018, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
It's a great idea and a terrible idea. I can see where it would be more likely to ride over the gravel, great idea but I can also see it riding up on any packed snow, bad idea.

I have 300' of gravel and all I do is set the skids at 3/4 inch and the first and maybe second snow I don't blow I just drive on to pack a little of it down. It's worked great for me for years.
Hopefully this summer I'll be adding some gravel and doing some leveling as the blower did manage to hit that little hump in the middle here and there this year. That's my fault for not grooming it sooner.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Likes jrom liked this post
post #5 of 11 Old 03-25-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My goal is to use my old Ariens ( Frankenstein on steroids ) with pipe for the first few snows to help get the frost in the ground and help get the base the way I want it. Then use my newer Ariens 28" and my 68 simplicity with a 40" (repowered from 7 hp to 18hp) to blow for the main part of winter, I am not worried about it riding up a little as my deluxe does that with just the blade. And as well use it by the road where the salt slush gets deposited all winter, here they dont plow per say they leave the blade up a little and scuff a 60 mph and dump salt like they all own stock in Mortons. Then the road has 3+ inches of grease slop that the afternoon shift comes through and tries to throw at 60mph and this is a class A road. Yes I live in the heavy snow belt where even the Lake effect can dump here and not 2 miles North or South and can and has done it everyday if conditions are right. I had a old MTD 26" blower in the early 80s that threw dirt like a ditch witch so I took the wheel adjusters off of a dinosaur push mower, welded a plate to bolt the skids to and put them on the bucket and had flat of the shoe under the blade, with no effort I could adjust skid from 0" to 2" and yes that did work for very quick no tool adjustments, however without frost in the ground the shoes would plow little furrows the the next time you blew made for a fun time if the raised dirt was frozen. Many times I have drug a 4'x4' poly sled with weight just to keep it all flat. Anyway for me it it worth trying the pipe and seeing if it works here in my sand , gravel, sod, etc. We just measured all the runs that are snow blown the longest 500+Ft all total sq, ft. to all buildings comes in at 29450.sq. ft. I use to plow 80% of that and blow the rest. My wife loves to snow blow and she will be out there before light if given the chance, says now she has a winter workout for fun I feel like and old sailor when I step out the door and say Thar she Blows!
post #6 of 11 Old 03-25-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
By the way for those who havent seen a plow with pipe on the cutting blade , google pipe for plow cutting blade and you will see many discussion forums and uses. Now lots of them being used on big tractors and loaders the way it looks.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Windmount thanked for this post
post #7 of 11 Old 03-25-2018, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
Let us know how it works out for you. It is an interesting idea.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-25-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
May get a chance to find out before season is done as I just talked to youngest son who works in maintenance at Snow King Resort in Jackson Wy. I told him of my plans and he said that may be something they can try as they have a multitude or snow removal equipment that as well removes more than snow and can leave the dirt embedded snow areas making for unsightly areas where people want to see pristine white snow. They are still getting dumped on , Snow King about a 105+ but where he lives other side of Tetons below Grand Targhee they are over 400+ inches. He said he is going to set up a articulating blower (Rider) with one and as well 2 of the big walk behinds and wants to try it on 1 of the Bobcats and as well on a big Komotsui loader. He said they have so much frost heave that sometime sidewalks get pushed upward of a inch and the pipe may let the blower pass over as the blade and shoes just stop it dead and has destroyed drives and belts. They spend a lot of time in the spring repairing lawn areas and other grounds because of snow removal. So we will see .
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #9 of 11 Old 03-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
I have a mostly 3/4" blue stone and crushed concrete 400' driveway. I made 1" 1/4 X 6" skids mounted on the back of the blower housing so it is i 1/2" off the ground, and I don't throw anything but snow. If it snowed anything 2" or less we wouldn't bother, unless you just got a spiffy new machine for Christmas.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
post #10 of 11 Old 03-25-2018, 03:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 121
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 245
Likes (Received): 136
When I started using a snowblower around here, my wife's cousin, who lives in northern Michigan (Gaylord) told me that people he knows "up there" used a pipe on their scraper bar for doing areas of their yards. If I'm not mistaken he mentioned PVC pipe.

Go left.....No, your other left!
Likes Stick liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page