Commercial-Grade Auger Skids in Canada - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 06:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 105
Thanks. I get it.

Just greased the bearings and put in new rubber paddles on my HS520. When doing the maintenance I noticed my drive belt needs replacement too. So when I go in the parts counter here in Calgary, I'll ask about the commercial skids for the HSS724.

Cheers.

(Man, those new paddles make that machine feel like the beast it was when I bought it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 3
They are 1/2 thick steel side skid shoes .. better control then the rear oem shoes
post #13 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 9
Commercial-Grade Auger Skids in Canada

I've heard that complaint about the original ones pulling. I haven't experienced it, but I'm all for better control.

It appears that (at least in Canada) there are supply issues, so they have temporarily been marked as discontinued until stock is available through Honda Canada; unless you can find them at a local dealer. I had to call 11 places before I found a set.

Last edited by Jae0; 01-09-2017 at 07:08 PM.
post #14 of 25 Old 01-10-2017, 01:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
One last question (OK, maybe not), but the commercial shoes mount on the side correct? If so, do you remove the standard shoes on the back or leave them on???

----------------
Peter
Honda HSS724ACTD, HS520 and HS720CC.

"Perfection is an insult to the Gods."
post #15 of 25 Old 01-10-2017, 03:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 3
Yes they Mount on the side . You can leave the ones on the back also but I raised mine up cause I found I had better control with just the side shoes . My driveway is uneven and my machine is the 724 maybe better control with both sets on the bigger machines
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks CalgaryPT thanked for this post
post #16 of 25 Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
OK. I think I will follow your lead and leave the back ones on when I get my new ones. Looking at the side design, I can envision a time when the side ones could slip off the lip of the sideway towards the gutter. Without the back ones, the auger could get pretty close to pavement. Thanks.

----------------
Peter

post #17 of 25 Old 01-10-2017, 02:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
You might want to try snowblowerskids.com Make & Model Chart

This guy makes HD skids that will fit most snowblowers, and they are quite a bit longer than those shown in the picture above. He seems to have some for Honda models. All thats needed is the spacing between the bolts, and possibly shims behind the shoes if your bucket has any relief stamping in the skid area or to clear that bolt head that adjusts the scraper bar. There are some pictures of his armour skids on Hondas at the web site.

I put these on my machine they are much better at sliding over uneven bits of pavement and concrete as they are angles shallower at the font so you dont get those jolts when you hit a high spot. They are also about twice the thickness on the wearing surface as the originals were.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 01-10-2017 at 02:40 PM.
post #18 of 25 Old 01-11-2017, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 9
Commercial-Grade Auger Skids in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
You might want to try snowblowerskids.com Make & Model Chart

This guy makes HD skids that will fit most snowblowers, and they are quite a bit longer than those shown in the picture above. He seems to have some for Honda models. All thats needed is the spacing between the bolts, and possibly shims behind the shoes if your bucket has any relief stamping in the skid area or to clear that bolt head that adjusts the scraper bar. There are some pictures of his armour skids on Hondas at the web site.

I put these on my machine they are much better at sliding over uneven bits of pavement and concrete as they are angles shallower at the font so you dont get those jolts when you hit a high spot. They are also about twice the thickness on the wearing surface as the originals were.

Thanks @skutflut. I've seen those during my search, but worry that they look too long and require too many spacers. I've got a (fairly) smooth paved driveway; but I could certainly see their value on uneven surfaces. I would worry about these shoes limiting my ability to tilt the bucket forward (tracked model) since they stick so far forward. http://snowblowerskids.com/wp-conten...ls_smaller.jpg

I've found an OEM Commercial set that I'll be installing shortly. http://powerequipment.honda.ca/asset..._thumbnail.jpg

Last edited by Jae0; 01-11-2017 at 06:09 AM.
post #19 of 25 Old 01-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
This is an interesting thread. I ordered the side skids (commercial as some people call them) from the dealer in Calgary today. The parts guy at the NE Adventure Honda dealer is 50/50 on removing the original rear mounted skids. As I have wondered before on this forum, I question removing them due to the tendency for the machine to fall off a high curb into lip of gutter without the rear ones as backup. This could cause auger damage. But I see pics with them mounted on 724's all over the web.

More interesting to me now is whether or not the side mounted ones are detrimental to tracked models such as my HSS724CT. Do they impact the ability to bite into the ice and pivot as suggested elsewhere ( Honda Power Equipment Web Site REAR skid shoes OK on all Models ) ? After all, the infinitely variable pivot or auger height is a big selling feature for many of us. Certainly you lose some clearing width with side skids.

The fact that my Canuck HSS724CT has holes for the kits seems to suggest the side mounted skids don't affect it. But then again, I'm sure the scoop is the same for the wheeled version of the HSS724, so both probably come with holes in them. Similarly, the discharge funnel on the double articulated model has the same (unused) press punch holes to accommodate single deflectors, so obviously Honda does not customize all parts across models.

The tech at the Calgary Rocky Mountain Store (South Calgary) maintains side skids are overkill for tracked models and says the commercial guys just accept scraper bar wear and tear as a maintenance cost. Most commercial operators with 928's and 1332's he says just weld 1" steal on as a replacement and deal with it.

On a side note, I did see that the 621 (tracked model) from 2015 comes with side mounted (and rear mounted) skids, for what that's worth.

So it would seem preference is a big part of this thread.

----------------
Peter

Last edited by CalgaryPT; 01-11-2017 at 09:35 PM.
post #20 of 25 Old 01-11-2017, 06:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryPT View Post

The tech at the Calgary Rocky Mountain Store (South Calgary) maintains side skids are overkill for tracked models and says the commercial guys just accept scraper bar wear and tear as a maintenance cost. Most commercial operators with 928's and 1332's he says just weld 1" steal on as a replacement and deal with it.
I installed the side skids on my 1332, and I can say in my experience the machine is much better with them on. No more auger biting the pavement and it seems to glide along more smoothly as well. I left the rear skids on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page