HS622 oil leak - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-27-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
HS622 oil leak

Bought a used HS622 and noticed this oil leak.
When I bought it, I did top up the oil and almost few uses after came the leak...
Wasn't over filled though

Axles are not leaking

I feel it is where the motor meets the transmission ?

Pictures as best I could take below

I would like to tackle this myself.
I do my own maintience but never have taken something apart like this

Any suggestions or tips appreciated

What gasket is the issue ?

I've only been able to search and see axle leaks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3653_1501189133197.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	106498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3657_1501189726004.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	106506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3657_1501189840589.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	106514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3655_1501189891953.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	106522  
a400ryan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 07-27-2017, 07:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Shoreline, CT
Posts: 3,447
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 467
Likes (Received): 479
Hard to guess where the leak would be just by looking at the pictures.
I would make 100% sure that it is not the dipstick(s) seal(s) that is(are) leaking before any disassembly.
Clean the area very well and see if you can spot where the leak starts.
If it shows in between the transmission and the engine, I'd get a Service Manual for it and analyze the assembly for possibilities (IMO it may either be the crank output seal or the trany input seal).
YSHSfan is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 07-27-2017, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
orangputeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: lake tahoe
Posts: 3,944
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 702
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 1200
Likes (Received): 1204
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSHSfan View Post
Hard to guess where the leak would be just by looking at the pictures.
I would make 100% sure that it is not the dipstick(s) seal(s) that is(are) leaking before any disassembly.
Clean the area very well and see if you can spot where the leak starts.
If it shows in between the transmission and the engine, I'd get a Service Manual for it and analyze the assembly for possibilities (IMO it may either be the crank output seal or the trany input seal).
that green gasket looks pretty clean. has it recently been replaced? would you think torqueing down those bolts a good idea?

what about degreasing and then washing and/or light pressure washing it totally clean and then running it to see new leak?

how bad is the leak? my old Harley leaked oil ( they all did ) but that was a good thing. then we knew it had oil in it.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
orangputeh is online now  
post #4 of 15 Old 07-27-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Good points.

I think I will get it up on blocks, clean well and get a better look and pictures.
I will torque bolts around the area
Not sure if gasket has been replaced

Last edited by a400ryan; 07-27-2017 at 11:22 PM.
a400ryan is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 08-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Norway
Posts: 7
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
I'll try to explain this as best I can. For reference, I sell and repair Honda power equipment.

The 622s tend to develop a gearbox gasket leak and an axel leak. The gearbox gasket is the most common, but what we do at my shop is a total repair; replacing gearbox gasket, axel oil seals and one engine gasket. It is kind of a big job (I do one in 1-2 hours, but I've done probably 50) and the parts is about $100 in total (in norwegian money, might be a bit cheaper in the us) thats why we do everything at once.

You need the following parts:
- Gasket, transmision case
- Oil seal, 1 or 2 depending on track or wheel drive
- Gasket, crankcase cover

It's not really difficult, mainly time consuming. I'll try to explain everything from memory:

1. Remove Auger. 6 bolts.

2. Disconnect two wires, battery, clutch, clutch spring.

3. Remove wheels/tracks and everything that goes with it

4. Separate the transmission from the engine.

5. Drain transmission, open it up. Just take it slow and remember where everything goes and you'll be fine.

6. Clean the mating surfaces. I usually apply a fine layer of some sort of gasket in addition to the new gasket. I also replace the oil seals while I have everything easily accessible.

7. Do the crankcase gasket as well.

8. put everything back together.

It might seem a lot but remember this not that hard, just one step at a time.

Good luck
Iceni is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh, eyebolt thanked for this post
Likes YSHSfan, dbert, Grunt, eyebolt liked this post
post #6 of 15 Old 08-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Senior Member
 
orangputeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: lake tahoe
Posts: 3,944
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 702
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 1200
Likes (Received): 1204
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
I'll try to explain this as best I can. For reference, I sell and repair Honda power equipment.

The 622s tend to develop a gearbox gasket leak and an axel leak. The gearbox gasket is the most common, but what we do at my shop is a total repair; replacing gearbox gasket, axel oil seals and one engine gasket. It is kind of a big job (I do one in 1-2 hours, but I've done probably 50) and the parts is about $100 in total (in norwegian money, might be a bit cheaper in the us) thats why we do everything at once.

You need the following parts:
- Gasket, transmision case
- Oil seal, 1 or 2 depending on track or wheel drive
- Gasket, crankcase cover

It's not really difficult, mainly time consuming. I'll try to explain everything from memory:

1. Remove Auger. 6 bolts.

2. Disconnect two wires, battery, clutch, clutch spring.

3. Remove wheels/tracks and everything that goes with it

4. Separate the transmission from the engine.

5. Drain transmission, open it up. Just take it slow and remember where everything goes and you'll be fine.

6. Clean the mating surfaces. I usually apply a fine layer of some sort of gasket in addition to the new gasket. I also replace the oil seals while I have everything easily accessible.

7. Do the crankcase gasket as well.

8. put everything back together.

It might seem a lot but remember this not that hard, just one step at a time.

Good luck

excellent post and i'll keep it for reference.

since you repair and service these machines , what kind of advice can you give owners to prevent the most common problems you see?

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
orangputeh is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 08-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Shoreline, CT
Posts: 3,447
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 467
Likes (Received): 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
- Oil seal, 1 or 2 depending on track or wheel drive
Do they offer a wheeled HS622 in Norway......? I've never seen one, only track units.
YSHSfan is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #8 of 15 Old 08-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Norway
Posts: 7
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSHSfan View Post
Do they offer a wheeled HS622 in Norway......? I've never seen one, only track units.
Yes the name here is HSS655LW (whereas in the US the 22 refers to inches 55 refers to cm. The 928=970, etc). Its quite a bit cheaper than the track version, but the track version with electric start is very popular. I really like the little Honda and have one myself, mainly because it is really light, gf-friendly, handy and enough machine for most people.
Iceni is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 08-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Norway
Posts: 7
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
excellent post and i'll keep it for reference.

since you repair and service these machines , what kind of advice can you give owners to prevent the most common problems you see?
Discounting clutch wear, the only other issue I've done is drive problems from wear in the gearbox. I've seen it three times, all times on very worn machines that had seen a LOT of heavy use. You'll notice the machine will take "micro-breaks" when running, this is the only sign I've seen before actual problems and loss of gears. Not really a hard fix, just switching out a couple parts in the transmission. As said very rare, but if you consider an old one it's something to look out for.

If you have the older version and use your 622 on gravel, replace the old type skids with newer, wider ones.

Other than that its just the common gas quality problems we all suffer

Last edited by Iceni; 08-05-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Iceni is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 08-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
orangputeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: lake tahoe
Posts: 3,944
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 702
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 1200
Likes (Received): 1204
Garage
the 622 is pretty rare around here but i do see a lot of old 50's . people use them for their decks and keep a big 928 or 1132 for their drives.

the hs50 is really a remarkable machine. well built and sturdy. very rarely do i hear about them failing other than common maintenance problems like broken belts , worn out skids and scraper plates, dried out gas lines , stuff due to age.

don't see too many 55's even though I believe they came out later. my neighbor has a 622 and he has a lot of problems with it and complains that he can't find parts for it. I don't ever see them come up for sale here.

checked ebay and prices for parts are pretty steep.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
orangputeh is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome