post #1 of 9 Old 11-24-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
HS621 only runs on choke

Hi all,
Just picked up an HS621 and am having some trouble getting it running. I've taken the carb off twice now and ran a whole can of carb cleaner through it. Looks to be totally clear, but it will only run with the choke on. I've gotten it to run for short bursts with the choke off but it surges hard backfires and then normally dies out.

I've drained out all the old gas and replaced it with new gas with stabilizer added. I've cleaned out the carb twice, changed the spark plug, put on a new drive belt, have new rubber for the auger and blade on the way, and changed the oil.

What else should I be checking?? Should I look into a knock off carb replacement or spend the money on a Honda carb? Should I replace the fuel lines? I don't have much experience on small engines so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-24-2018, 08:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 149
its running lean. u gotta make sure the main jet is clear, use small wire to get into all the small holes with carb cleaner.
took me a few times to figure it out. if carbs been neglected it needs more attention then just spraying carb cleaner into it.
or u got a vacuum intake leak, spraying carb cleaner along the intake path while engine is running will give u an answer.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 11-24-2018 at 08:32 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-24-2018, 09:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 109
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 663
Carb is Clogged. There are some holes in the front of the Carb Throat. Using a Blowgun, hit all the holes with compressed air until gas flows out of the front. Problem Solved. Or if You want to go new, repops are $10 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-...e-Z:rk:20:pf:0

Last edited by Jackmels; 11-24-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
post #4 of 9 Old 11-24-2018, 09:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 8
Just went through same thing with my 621, needed a little choke to stay running. I bought the Honda oem carb from boats.net for $45.59. runs perfect now, I didn't even want to bother trying to clean it. Just make sure you take pictures as your taking it apart. And get new gaskets.

Last edited by dadnjesse; 11-24-2018 at 09:16 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-25-2018, 10:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
Just went through same thing with my 621, needed a little choke to stay running. I bought the Honda oem carb from boats.net for $45.59. runs perfect now, I didn't even want to bother trying to clean it. Just make sure you take pictures as your taking it apart. And get new gaskets.
+1 Buy a new Honda OEM carb with twist spout fuel drain (not the cheap knock-off with bolt drain) and replace. Then take your old carb, pull the main jet and clean the tube holes with a wire. Probably very tiny piece of crud or varnish in one of the holes. If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, have the old carb dipped once or twice for a final cleaning. Then you can either keep the old carb as a back-up or sell on Ebay for $25 - $30.

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve
post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Alright,

New season, same old problem.

Last season, i bought the OEM carb and swapped them out. Ran well for the season.

Started her up this season and got the same surging problem, dieing off choke. Got cheap and bought a knock off carb, just swapped it and still same problem. Starts right up on choke, starts surging at half choke and dies with the choke off.

I'm using fuel from my mower with stahbil in it, probably a few months old....would that be an issue? it smells fine. Should i replace the fuel line?

What else can I check on this guy before I need to drag this thing to a small engine repair show with my tail between my legs....

Thanks in advance,
Scott
post #7 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 04:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 46
I would try fuel lines first. Also clean the carb and rinse the fuel tank and let it all dry out.

Might be an air leak. Check gaskets and make sure everything was put in the correct orientation. Possible valve adjustment or if it's an ohc engine. It could have jumped timing.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 05:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
I'd be looking for an air leak (bad gasket perhaps)
post #9 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 06:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschy2586 View Post
Alright,

New season, same old problem.

Last season, i bought the OEM carb and swapped them out. Ran well for the season.

Started her up this season and got the same surging problem, dieing off choke. Got cheap and bought a knock off carb, just swapped it and still same problem. Starts right up on choke, starts surging at half choke and dies with the choke off.

I'm using fuel from my mower with stahbil in it, probably a few months old....would that be an issue? it smells fine. Should i replace the fuel line?

What else can I check on this guy before I need to drag this thing to a small engine repair show with my tail between my legs....

Thanks in advance,

Scott
That's pretty odd.

#1 Have you made sure that gas is getting to the carb from the tank line? I had something like this before it was something in the tank blocking fuel from filling up the bowl fast enough.

#2 the fuel shut off make sure when you are turning from off to on fuel is coming out the other end.

If not either of those ? I'm stumped it's a lean condition for sure. And I'f you said it ran well for a season that doesnt seem like an air leak.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ariens ProPath 21 208cc ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Craftsman SS ???
Honda HS621 GX160 ....Honda HS624 GX160
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in