Snowblower Forum banner

Honda Never Again

33K views 111 replies 38 participants last post by  manitouu 
#1 ·
My HSS 928AATD has been nothing but a headache, this thing clogs when there is snow in the forecast. I did the chute and the jet

upgrade, Still a POS.

I watched my neighbor clean his walk with an older HS model and his machine went right thru it while choking on rev;s.

I was a Honda fan owning motorcycles, ATC's, generators and power washers. This machine is a huge let down.

And no it's not operator error, this isn't my first rodeo with snowblowers.

The only + on this thing is the electric start.

I can't wait to sell this paperweight!

#3 ·
Sorry to hear that. The HSS offer a lot of nice features, I think, like triggers steering. But having issues with actually blowing snow is obviously a pretty big drawback on a snowblower. Also curious about what you're looking at trying next.

Oh, I'll offer you 500 hundred shiny dollars for it :)

Good luck!

#4 ·
so that's why i see so many for a thousand off msrp on craigslist.

to be fair I have also heard the opposite from owners that put the new chute and bigger jet in carb but i'd be pissed off too if I spent nearly 3k for a machine and had to jump thru hoops to make it work as it should.

get a 1332.

Reactions: CVNY
#6 ·
I recently bought a new HSS928ATD. I put the 92 jet in right away but have the old style chute. We don’t normally have a lot of wet snows in February in northern IL but this year has been very different. We have got some of the wettest snows I have ever seen here. They would clog my Ford blower on the Kubota immediately.

I have been using the Dupont Teflon spray on the Honda and there has not been any snow build up or clogging after over an hour of blowing in these wet snows. You don’t say where you live and maybe you get even wetter snows than we have been getting but you may want to try a can of the spray. You might also check your RPM if you have not done that. Mine is running around 3550.

#8 ·
I live in NJ, I have sprayed the chute with Fluid Film, silicone, PAM and it still clogs. I didn't try to up the RPM's I have no way of knowing what it's running at.

No clue what I'll replace it with, not going to be a 1332, that's for sure.

I recently bought a new HSS928ATD. I put the 92 jet in right away but have the old style chute. We don’t normally have a lot of wet snows in February in northern IL but this year has been very different. We have got some of the wettest snows I have ever seen here. They would clog my Ford blower on the Kubota immediately.

I have been using the Dupont Teflon spray on the Honda and there has not been any snow build up or clogging after over an hour of blowing in these wet snows. You don’t say where you live and maybe you get even wetter snows than we have been getting but you may want to try a can of the spray. You might also check your RPM if you have not done that. Mine is running around 3550.

#10 ·
Simplicity, then Ariens, then Toro.

Reactions: Dag Johnsen
#11 ·
That's too bad that you've given up as you still have a couple of things that could greatly improve it.
Increasing the revs and adding an impeller kit. Make sure all shear pins are intact and everything is moving as it should.

You won't find a better snowblower, though I get that when you encounter frustrations it's easy to believe the grass is greener on the other side.

#12 ·
Well I just did the walk and it clogged beyond belief, I appreciate all the advice but to be honest, I shouldn't have to play mechanic on a costly machine, I should have to put oil and gas in and go to work. Honda dropped the ball on this machine.

That's too bad that you've given up as you still have a couple of things that could greatly improve it.
Increasing the revs and adding an impeller kit. Make sure all shear pins are intact and everything is moving as it should.

You won't find a better snowblower, though I get that when you encounter frustrations it's easy to believe the grass is greener on the other side.

#16 · (Edited)
It sounds as if you have a frozen linkage issue if you have been using it at high idle and the springs are bound up with ice.

DO you have a space heater that can melt off the ice and snow build up or a heat gin that will let you melt the ice and snow around all the spring linkages and the cable connections for the throttle?

If you nailed an innocent shrub in the process it may have sheared one or both cross auger shear pins and they will rotate until they encounter heavy snow and then stop.

If you can get it free of snow and ice by heating it up and melting all the ice and snow off of it that will give you a much better idea of what may be wrong.

Can you have someone watch the front of the snow mule while you are operating it to see if the augers are rotating while clearing snow as trying to clear snow of a shallow accumulation will clog it if one or both of the cross auger shear pins are broken.

Can you use the fluid film nozzle to reach the cable sheath for the throttle to lubricate it?

Any hot surface in winter is a moisture magnet and it can cause a lot of operating issues with exposed linkages.

BCS 2 wheel mule owners have issues with the honda engines at times when they are using their snow blowers as the engine linkages are completely exposed and ice can accumulate on the linkages as they are not in contact with the engine crankcase.

EDIT:

My only other thoughts are the impeller shear bolt/key or you have water in the fuel.

Can you fill it with high octane fuel and add seafoam to it and just let it run at high idle for one or two tanks of fuel.

If you have water in the fuel it will cause you a lot of headaches.

A Mister Funnel does wonders for gasoline fuels of any octane.

#18 · (Edited)
- Re-jet

- Max RPM checked and raised if necessary

- Impeller kit (from forum member drmerdp): https://www.ebay.com/itm/333092216923

- Updated chute

- Control your speed with your hydro stick, not your engine throttle. Always run at full throttle.

- Do let Honda know (not just your dealer or online source) about your problems:

Contact Honda Power Equipment

By Phone:
Customer Relations
Tel: 770-497-6400
Mon. - Fri. 8:30 - 7:00 EST

By email:
https://crrs.secure.force.com/service/pew2c

More on the impeller kit: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/for...098-honda-hss-specific-impeller-seal-kit.html

#20 ·
I'm contemplating on the same thing... I got a Honda 1332 Track unit (7 years old) and you have to muscle the machine to turn it and it didnt seem to great this snow storm. The engine was not at a constrant rev as their was so much packed snow inside the augers. The Ariens Deluxe I have is very easy to move and takes half time as the Honda to use.

#22 ·
This is really troublesome...First, let me say that I regret you have had such a bad experience. Second, I have no personal or financial affiliation with Honda, but I have had a totally opposite experience than you have had. Maybe I have been just lucky, or maybe it has to do with the snow we get here in the Central Rocky Mountains.

During my first season with a 2016 HSS1332ATD model, I had zero clogs. But, we had heavy snow, some wet and dense and other times dry and fluffy. Then this past year, we had warm weather with marginal snow. At times I left the snow sit until later in the day to clear. When I did this, I noticed a slushy wet snow that melted from the sun and higher afternoon temps. As soon as I attempted to remove the snow (slush), I would get a clog. Each time I had snow conditions like that it resulted in a clog, so I went back to blowing snow in the early morning or after the sun set and the temps dropped back below freezing.

I have to admit that the few clogs I have experienced were a PITA...Wasn't happy when this happened, but then again, I could see why the clogs occurred and didn't feel this was because of a design deficiency in the chute. That said, you don't mention where you live or the snow conditions you encounter. Honestly, I think this does have a lot to do with the clogging issue.

Also, I'm 66 years old. I recently tore my meniscus in my knee and while recovering after surgery, I slipped on ice and wrenched the heck out my back. That said, I have been using my snow blower as a means of physical therapy. To me, it's so easy to use I feel like I'm walking behind a walker. LOL I just don't understand why a few comments feel like they have to muscle the machine to get it to turn. The turn levers work with ease, and the unit turns on a dime. The pneumatic gas strut thumb controlled auger adjustment allows you to raise and lower the auger without much pressure at all. My son came over to help me with snow removal while I was recovering from my injury, and the first thing I noticed was that when he was in reverse, he wasn't using the auger lift when in reverse, so at times the tracks would slip and he had to horse the machine to get it to move. Once I showed him how to use the auger lift control he had no further issues.

#30 ·
I'm located in NW New Jersey, yes the snow has been on the wet side, but if it were fluffy powder I'd blow it off with the leaf blower. I get out and TRY to clean the walks etc. at day break just so the sun doesn't make the snow heavier.

In any case the consumer shouldn't have to modify a machine whatever the initial cost be. It stings more when it;s close to 3000.00

This is really troublesome...First, let me say that I regret you have had such a bad experience. Second, I have no personal or financial affiliation with Honda, but I have had a totally opposite experience than you have had. Maybe I have been just lucky, or maybe it has to do with the snow we get here in the Central Rocky Mountains.

During my first season with a 2016 HSS1332ATD model, I had zero clogs. But, we had heavy snow, some wet and dense and other times dry and fluffy. Then this past year, we had warm weather with marginal snow. At times I left the snow sit until later in the day to clear. When I did this, I noticed a slushy wet snow that melted from the sun and higher afternoon temps. As soon as I attempted to remove the snow (slush), I would get a clog. Each time I had snow conditions like that it resulted in a clog, so I went back to blowing snow in the early morning or after the sun set and the temps dropped back below freezing.

I have to admit that the few clogs I have experienced were a PITA...Wasn't happy when this happened, but then again, I could see why the clogs occurred and didn't feel this was because of a design deficiency in the chute. That said, you don't mention where you live or the snow conditions you encounter. Honestly, I think this does have a lot to do with the clogging issue.

Also, I'm 66 years old. I recently tore my meniscus in my knee and while recovering after surgery, I slipped on ice and wrenched the heck out my back. That said, I have been using my snow blower as a means of physical therapy. To me, it's so easy to use I feel like I'm walking behind a walker. LOL I just don't understand why a few comments feel like they have to muscle the machine to get it to turn. The turn levers work with ease, and the unit turns on a dime. The pneumatic gas strut thumb controlled auger adjustment allows you to raise and lower the auger without much pressure at all. My son came over to help me with snow removal while I was recovering from my injury, and the first thing I noticed was that when he was in reverse, he wasn't using the auger lift when in reverse, so at times the tracks would slip and he had to horse the machine to get it to move. Once I showed him how to use the auger lift control he had no further issues.

#26 · (Edited)
2 years ago I experienced the exact same clogging problem with a brand new HSS928 that the original poster had, only I was in Central Oregon. I immediately contacted Honda, they denied any clogging problems. I had the dealer pick up the snowblower and check it out for any problems. They said everything checked out fine, so I had them keep it for a 10% return fee.

Ordered a "300 Series" Husqvarna. It performs great and has not clogged one time, unlike the Honda which clogged constantly.

In my opinion, if you pay top dollar for a snowblower, you should get a snowblower that performs without having to rebuild it.

Kind of surprised to see that this problem still exists.

#35 ·
There are many who swear by Hondas. They're a minor seller where we live. I downsized last year from a 36. By the time we head to the SW in early January, we've only gotten about 100 inches of snow. Not enough to need another big machine. I was close to buying a 1332 last year (only needed a 28, but IMO the Honda 8.5 HP isn't near enough juice for a 28" cut and tracks). I wanted to change up from my old Ariens that had served me well for almost 30 years (and still serves a new owner), but stories like this turned me back to looking at Ariens. The snow moving capacity of a 28 Ariens Rapid Trak Pro is the same as a 32 Honda. It has a 13.5 HP engine, bigger impeller, bigger augers, bigger housing, and not nearly the shear bolt problems. Visually it also appears more stalwart from a construction standpoint. Plus it came with skids, hand warmers, and drift cutters for less money. (a lot better choke set up too)

I've modified some stuff in my day, but never a snowblower. You shouldn't have to add, subtract, or change anything on a $3K machine to have function perfectly. Start it and go. ....like I did with my new 28 Rapid Trak for the 100 inches it saw before we left town

I'm not anti Honda. I'm on my 2nd Ridgeline. I've had many trucks of all big 3 stripes. The RL is the best truck I've had to date. I have other small engine stuff with Honda engines. ...but I too think they dropped the ball on some parts of this new model

#36 · (Edited)
My God, you understand!!!!

Most are saying, do the jet, do the chute, do the impeller mod, It should work great as delivered, I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

BTW I have done everything suggested, less the impeller mod and up the RPM,s

There are many who swear by Hondas. They're a minor seller where we live. I downsized last year from a 36. By the time we head to the SW in early January, we've only gotten about 100 inches of snow. Not enough to need another big machine. I was close to buying a 1332 last year (only needed a 28, but IMO the Honda 8.5 HP isn't near enough juice for a 28" cut and tracks). I wanted to change up from my old Ariens that had served me well for almost 30 years (and still serves a new owner), but stories like this turned me back to looking at Ariens. The snow moving capacity of a 28 Ariens Rapid Trak Pro is the same as a 32 Honda. It has a 13.5 HP engine, bigger impeller, bigger augers, bigger housing, and not nearly the shear bolt problems. Visually it also appears more stalwart from a construction standpoint. Plus it came with skids, hand warmers, and drift cutters for less money. (a lot better choke set up too)

I've modified some stuff in my day, but never a snowblower. You shouldn't have to add, subtract, or change anything on a $3K machine to have function perfectly. Start it and go. ....like I did with my new 28 Rapid Trak for the 100 inches it saw before we left town

I'm not anti Honda. I'm on my 2nd Ridgeline. I've had many trucks of all big 3 stripes. The RL is the best truck I've had to date. I have other small engine stuff with Honda engines. ...but I too think they dropped the ball on some parts of this new model

#42 ·
Did you go directly to $1,000 less, or did the buyer(s) talk you down?
I sold my HSS1332ATD for $2200 on CL to get rid of it after being so annoyed with it. It was $3200+ new.
Let me get this right, you took a $1,000+ loss on a bum blower, then spent $1,200 (plus tax) on a new, much better blower and you did not invest $90 (plus tax and shipping) and some of your time into getting the bum blower up to speed before you took such a loss?

...and some members here are patting you on the back?

Is there more to the story?

I sold my HSS1332ATD for $2200 on CL to get rid of it after being so annoyed with it. It was $3200+ new.

The last two years I've had an Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO that was $1200 new. I couldn't be happier with it, starts first pull every time, even after sitting months, and has never clogged once.

Reactions: drmerdp
#44 ·
"I sold my HSS1332ATD for $2200 on CL to get rid of it after being so annoyed with it. It was $3200+ new.

The last two years I've had an Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO that was $1200 new. I couldn't be happier with it, starts first pull every time, even after sitting months, and has never clogged once."

I have both a Honda 1332 2012 Track snowblower and an Ariens Deluxe 28" SHO. The ariens is so much easier to maneuver and use compared. However, I think starting is easier on the Honda, for me anyways. The Ariens takes 1/2 the time to finish my driveway, as opposed to the Honda

#46 ·
I have both a Honda 1332 2012 Track snowblower and an Ariens Deluxe 28" SHO. The ariens is so much easier to maneuver and use compared. However, I think starting is easier on the Honda, for me anyways. The Ariens takes 1/2 the time to finish my driveway, as opposed to the Honda
In this case, though, an HSS Honda would have triggers for steering. That's got to help a lot for maneuverability, vs a solid-axle HS Honda. Especially once you add tracks to the mix.

I agree with those that say a machine should simply work, and work well, out of the box. Even if it's a cheap one, but especially for high-end equipment. Hopefully Honda will consider making the new chutes standard equipment. I'm sorry the EPA has presumably forced their hand, on running lean. Though I don't know why other brands don't immediately require re-jetting.

If it was my machine, I would try the available mods, to improve performance, though I wish those weren't needed. A premium machine shouldn't need some DIY when you get it home. But at least people have figured out ways to improve the performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.