Snowblower Forum banner

HSS928CT (Canadian model)

17K views 73 replies 15 participants last post by  blue dragon 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just purchased the HSS928CT as I could not find the electric start model in stock. Things I am looking to do is to
1. rejet - Can you recommend the jet size?
2. double articulating chute - is this just the little arm that swaps over from the HSS1332ATD, or do I need the whole chute?
3. hour meter - Can this be one without the battery to power it?
4. heated hand grips.

I'm coming from a 12 year old MTD pro 30" with the 10.5 Tecumseh snowking engine.

#2 ·
1. rejet - Can you recommend the jet size?
#92 - Here's the re-jetting video: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/for...onda-hss-carburetor-re-jetting-how-video.html
2. double articulating chute - is this just the little arm that swaps over from the HSS1332ATD, or do I need the whole chute?
It's quite a few parts... See this post: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/1605697-post2.html
3. hour meter - Can this be one without the battery to power it?
Quite a few of us are using this Tach/Hour Meter combo: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RacingPowe...518214?hash=item4d6b68e4c6:g:iqcAAOSwsZhcVlxC
4. heated hand grips.
Several of us have installed Oxford Heated Grips, but we're all using them on units with the battery: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/for...675-honda-hss1332atd-oxford-heated-grips.html

#9 ·
#92 - Here's the re-jetting video: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/for...onda-hss-carburetor-re-jetting-how-video.html
It's quite a few parts... See this post: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/1605697-post2.html

Quite a few of us are using this Tach/Hour Meter combo: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RacingPowe...518214?hash=item4d6b68e4c6:g:iqcAAOSwsZhcVlxC

Several of us have installed Oxford Heated Grips, but we're all using them on units with the battery: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/for...675-honda-hss1332atd-oxford-heated-grips.html

@tabora ....+4.

you are one of the 'go to" people for honda questions. thank you.

would be happy to have you visit our facebook group Honda Snowblower Enthusiasts. always looking for new honda people to help out our members.

#4 · (Edited)
So for fellow Canucks, you cannot get the updated chute from Canada (either the articulating or non-articulating). Since I was doing the double articulating chute, I ordered the parts from Jacks Small Engines. they have it in stock and the shipping charges are the most reasonable. The rest of the parts including the #92 jet I ordered from boats.net

I still need to figure out how to do the oxford heated grips with the battery to connect to. I was mightily impressed that the blower cleared out the hardpacked snow that had been there all winter

#5 ·
So for fellow Canucks, you cannot get the updated chute from Canada (either the articulating or non-articulating). Since I was doing the double articulating chute, I ordered the parts from Jacks Small Engines. they have it in stock and the shipping charges are the most reasonable. The rest of the parts including the #92 jet I ordered from boats.net

I still need to figure out how to do the oxford heated grips with the battery to connect to. I was mightily impressed that the blower cleared out the hardpacked snow that had been there all winter

I have a Canadian HS 928 I ordered a 92 jet to rejet the carb. I didnt check before ordering, Turns out my Canadian already had a 92 jet in it. The HSS models may be different. But dont be surprised if it has a 92 already in it.

#6 ·
Prime, for what its worth, this winter I installed a new to me, HS928 tractor unit on my HS724 bucket.....the few times I could load up the machine with the little snow we did have here in Kitchener area, I found the engine searching a little..... a #95 jet got rid of the problem as tested last week in the afternoon sun drenched sugary stuff I had left around. The Honda factory new carb had a 92 jet like you found.

#7 ·
I opened it just a hair with a small bit, not sure the bit size but small, turned with my fingers, could hardly see a difference. When I fired it up I didnt care for the way the engine was running and I put back the 92 I dont have a real issue with performance. I was just experimenting to see if I could gain a little.

#8 ·
You might not have to "Re-Jet" your Canadian model, they don't have to meet the USA emissions so they can be run a little bit richer to begin with. They may already have the bigger jet in it from the factory. Check with an authorized Honda dealer to see if it already has a bigger jet than the USA models. You don't want to "Over-Jet" it, you will cause unwanted operating problems, poor power and performance and bad fuel economy, you will be using too much fuel to get the job done by running it over rich, which could cause hard starting problems and black smoke coming out the exhaust.

#17 ·
That is correct. No turn levers, white sprockets, I have a hs 928 and they are the same other than my old HS is electric chute and starter 12v. variable height adjust, but thats been standard up here for along time. It still had the round headlight but I switched to led. I can find a pic at this time and I just put them at the back of the shop and rotated my mowing equipment to the front, so a pic isnt possible right now. Only real difference is the HSS sticker on the bucket. I will check in my photos and see if I can find a pic.

#18 ·
Prime, thanks for the update. Don't worry about a pic, at this time, but you know, we are going to get one last big dump........now that you got the mowing stuff available... I did the same thing here in Ontario, late march, I think 78.... worst my driveway has been, Apr 05-06... I blow with a HS928 tractor with a 24" auger bucket attached, in the on board 12 volt version you also have, jetted with a #95....

#19 ·
I havent fully summerized yet. I can have it out in 1/2 hr. Normally our major snow would be done now. We may get another storm this is an unusually cold season here in Nova Scotia. 4 years ago we had 40cm with extreme wind at the end of March.Got taken by surprise with that one. Had been into spring work for awhile, had the winter wheels already off the 4x4. Biggest storm of the winter. It was a very tough snow to deal with. Kind of pellety and hard pack,you could walk on top of it, a real challenge with a snowblower and I was doing 20 yards that year. Got them thou, only had to get a front end loader for one of them. 6 ft retaining walls on each side, level full 40 ft long. Next day it went double digit temps, rain and fog. It was completely gone in three days and back to spring work within a week. It can and does happen

#22 ·
Isn't that always the way. When I bought my first snowblower, an Ariens 7/24, big bucks for me at the time, and I wanted to try it out so bad. Didn't see a single snowflake for four years!:smile2:

Hope you have better luck and don't have to wait quite that long.

#21 ·
Mic , I kinda wouldn't mind a blast myself, I need a retest of my up powered HS924 that's also been up jetted....

Prime , the late storm conditions, sound like what we had in the April storm of 78 ish....

The up powered HS1128, that I sold to a guy, who drove 5 hours one way to pickup, a couple weeks ago, apparently has been impressing him in the Sudbury area where there is still lots of snow.

BTW, both are shown in my Garage...

#36 ·
The alternator stator on them puts out A.C. current at only a few amps to run the headlight and some built with an on-board battery also have diodes to rectify some Ac to DC current to charge the battery, and it is a very low output for the battery charging. Sometimes in the area of 5 amp AC for lighting and 2amp DC for battery charging.
Heated handgrips will draw more current under a full load than to have enough current left over to safely recharge the battery if they are drawing DC current. If they use AC current, it will only affect the headlight operation if it is an incandescent type bulb, an LED light should be ok depending on how it is wired.
Do what Tabora suggested and keep the battery on a "Maintainer" when not in use, to keep the battery charge up to snuff.

#39 ·
I would check with Honda to see if the heated grips were offered as an option for the model you are working with. If they were, then you should be ok with installing them.
But you have to watch out because aftermarket grips may require more current than the grips Honda has, and they might not work.
If Honda did not offer them as an option, they don't think they will work properly as an aftermarket installation because of power output on your machine.
But I'm sure you could come up with something somehow to make them work.

#41 ·
Honda heated hand grips Honda part # 08T50-EWA-100 . They are only about $200 - $250 for a kit. You may have to do a little bit of modifications to them, but they will hook into the power outlet for the light.
For that price, I would go with the cheap Oxford grips.

#47 · (Edited)
I also added another Honda at home :), its a leftover 2018 HRX217. The 2019 got an upgraded engine, so they were willing to deal on this one to clear it out.
I gotta add the skids to the HSS724CTD this weekend.

Attachments

#49 · (Edited)
Heated grips are installed. The controller does go into battery saving mode after a couple of minutes.

I’ll buy the larger battery for the HSS1332ATD. I’ve found that you can disable the battery saving mode by pressing the + and - buttons together for 5 seconds. The green light being on means battery saving mode is enabled, off is disabled.

Looking forward to not having cold hands this winter. Also installed the poly skids since this will not be used on gravel like my HSS928CT. A liberal spray down with fluid film and some protective edging for the bucket are planned before the next snow falls.

Attachments

Reactions: tabora
#50 ·
Nice, looks good! Wonder if anyone makes a heated grip for 24v so I can put a set on my HSM1336i, would be nice to have that option. Guess could go with heated gloves but I’d much prefer heated grips, then can wear thinner gloves that’s I prefer when running levers.

#56 · (Edited)
I’m in Canada and was a eBay Canada seller so $40 CAD plus shipping, he gave a Kimpex part number that cross references to EL800Z, all the specs I see are same as the 801, cruiser premium heated grips for 1” / 25mm bar, intelligent dash mount control, pics look the same?

*Edit, From what I can see is the 801 is a version 2, so not sure what changes were made.*

#57 ·
Watch out, if they are for a motorcycle you have 2 different sizes for 1 inch handle bars. The left side is 1 inch, the right side is larger because of the throttle pipe that turns and moves the throttle cable, so if you get a set for a motorcycle, one grip will fit, the other will be a little bit too large and fit too loosely unless you wrap a bunch of tape to the handlebar to make up for it. But if you do that, you will have problems because the heat from the grip will loosen up the glue on the tape and they can slide off.

#58 ·
Watch out, if they are for a motorcycle you have 2 different sizes for 1 inch handle bars. The left side is 1 inch, the right side is larger because of the throttle pipe that turns and moves the throttle cable, so if you get a set for a motorcycle, one grip will fit, the other will be a little bit too large and fit too loosely unless you wrap a bunch of tape to the handlebar to make up for it.
That is not the case with the Oxford grips. They come with an insert for the "throttle" grip to make its inner diameter the same as the other one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.