post #21 of 25 Old 03-27-2019, 08:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 131
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AclockworkBlue View Post
I just changed my oil in my HSS724ATD today. It only has a couple of hours on it, but I change my oil in all my machines every year. It can't hurt to have some fresh clean oil flowing through it. Just my two cents!
Actually, "fresh clean oil" too soon can do a lifetime of damage. That dirty oil with metal particles in it helps everything fit together before glazing can set in; it's all part of the break-in process. Here's a great article on the subject: New Engine Break-in Procedure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 03-27-2019, 08:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 24
No matter how few hours it's been run, nothing good comes from leaving old oil (and whatever particulates, condensation, etc. have collected in it!) sitting in the engine for 6-9 months. Oil is (relatively) cheap - spend a few dollars and treat the engine properly. It's the cheapest engine insurance you'll ever buy.

My political litmus test: I will vote for any candidate, regardless of party affiliation or positions on other issues, who promises to abolish the TSA.
post #23 of 25 Old 03-27-2019, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 131
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEngineer View Post
No matter how few hours it's been run, nothing good comes from leaving old oil (and whatever particulates, condensation, etc. have collected in it!) sitting in the engine for 6-9 months. Oil is (relatively) cheap - spend a few dollars and treat the engine properly. It's the cheapest engine insurance you'll ever buy.
Again, it's NOT about the cost; it's about letting the engine parts come together. If I were really concerned, I'd just run the engine at varying speeds to get the hours up to 10 in season one before changing the oil (snow or no snow), but 55 years of breaking in engines later it's never been an issue to leave the initial oil in until 10-12 hours of run time. It HAS been an issue the one time I decided to change it early and it required a tear-down and re-honing the cylinder walls to fix it. It looked like a fog machine before I remedied it. (Kawasaki generator engine.)

Last edited by tabora; 03-27-2019 at 10:01 PM.
post #24 of 25 Old 03-28-2019, 09:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 117
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 341
Likes (Received): 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabora View Post
Actually, "fresh clean oil" too soon can do a lifetime of damage. That dirty oil with metal particles in it helps everything fit together before glazing can set in; it's all part of the break-in process. Here's a great article on the subject: New Engine Break-in Procedure
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that.

I didn't get to read the article thoroughly, but I at least didn't notice where they said to leave the particles in for a while, for a break-in benefit. Unless you mean at the end, when there was discussion of changing the oil after 4 brief break-in sessions totaling maybe an hour?

An engine with a filter also has the benefit of at least managing the particulates. Unfiltered engines like on a lot of small OPE don't have that, there could be bigger random stuff floating in the oil.

You have a lot more experience with these than I do, and 95% of my engines have been bought used anyhow. But I'm still more comfortable with the idea of changing it after the first few hours (still conventional).

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #25 of 25 Old 03-28-2019, 12:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabora View Post

Interesting article. Machining and tolerances has improved since '91 when the article being referenced was written.

I'm going my manufacturer's recommendation in my manual stating "change oil after first month or 20 hours" whichever first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page