LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Honda paint

I’ve searched through the old threads and found out all the information I could. It looks like guys use Honda bright red so I tried apple red since a YouTube vid showed it was a very close match. It’s not close at all. The color of my machine seems like almost a toro red. I tried some toro lawnmower paint and it’s closer but still not right. Looks like Honda offers a power red. Could it be that? I’ve called 2 dealers and even they have a hard time finding paint codes. What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 12:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 788
Likes (Received): 826
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfanatic View Post
Iíve searched through the old threads and found out all the information I could. It looks like guys use Honda bright red so I tried apple red since a YouTube vid showed it was a very close match. Itís not close at all. The color of my machine seems like almost a toro red. I tried some toro lawnmower paint and itís closer but still not right. Looks like Honda offers a power red. Could it be that? Iíve called 2 dealers and even they have a hard time finding paint codes. What gives?
i use a paint from wal mart that is extremely close. posted the number a couple times in other threads. it depends if you machine has been outside and faded also.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #3 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 01:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 74
Garage
Do a Google search on

honda power red paint

Lots of info there.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
Quote:
I’ve searched through the old threads and found out all the information I could. It looks like guys use Honda bright red so I tried apple red since a YouTube vid showed it was a very close match. It’s not close at all. The color of my machine seems like almost a toro red. I tried some toro lawnmower paint and it’s closer but still not right. Looks like Honda offers a power red. Could it be that? I’ve called 2 dealers and even they have a hard time finding paint codes. What gives?
i use a paint from wal mart that is extremely close. posted the number a couple times in other threads. it depends if you machine has been outside and faded also.
I searched power red and found some other threads I didn’t see with my other search. I’ll try the home shades fire red. Thanks
post #5 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 03:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 129
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 226
Quote:
Iíve searched through the old threads and found out all the information I could. It looks like guys use Honda bright red so I tried apple red since a YouTube vid showed it was a very close match. Itís not close at all. The color of my machine seems like almost a toro red. I tried some toro lawnmower paint and itís closer but still not right. Looks like Honda offers a power red. Could it be that? Iíve called 2 dealers and even they have a hard time finding paint codes. What gives?
What model and approximate year are you asking about? Honda used two different paint colors...

Walmart Home Shades #259866 fire red works for older models per @orangputeh https://www.walmart.com/ip/ColorPlac...e-Red/17011153

Honda Power Red for newer models https://www.boats.net/product/honda/...MaAsh1EALw_wcB
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #6 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 05:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 102
Is there a piece painted that red that is easy to detach and take with you, like a cowling or rope starter cover? Every color out there has a Pantone color, the blue on the Ford oval, the brown of UPS trucks, and of course, "Honda Red". Take that piece to an auto body shop and they can match that color perfectly, even if it is age faded. Call ahead and ask what it'll cost but it might be less than you think. The math gets complicated but in practice once that's done it's pretty easy.

I'm no expert on the topic but I learned some of it in my photography hobby. That's when I realized how important it is to have the camera, computer display, and photo printer all calibrated to show the same color the same way.

An example of non-calibrated color can be seen in any department store that sells televisions. On a wall they'll have a bunch of them tuned to the same station. Almost every single one of them will be displaying different colors on the same scenes because they are not calibrated. If they were they'd all show the same color. That's the difference color calibration makes and auto body shops can do that with paint. You bring in a sample, they measure it, and can mix paint to match exactly.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabora View Post
Quote:
What model and approximate year are you asking about? Honda used two different paint colors...

Walmart Home Shades #259866 fire red works for older models per @orangputeh https://www.walmart.com/ip/ColorPlac...e-Red/17011153

Honda Power Red for newer models https://www.boats.net/product/honda/...MaAsh1EALw_wcB
2014 hs928. Looked for home shades my Walmart doesn’t even carry it so I bought a darker red just figured I would hold the cap next to it and see how it matched. Regal red rustoleum looked like a perfect match cap to machine. Still turned out to be a little on the orange side. I’ll see how it looks dry. Mine must be power red. I owned a 724 yrs ago that was a mid 2000s and that appears to be the same color as this one.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVguy View Post
Is there a piece painted that red that is easy to detach and take with you, like a cowling or rope starter cover? Every color out there has a Pantone color, the blue on the Ford oval, the brown of UPS trucks, and of course, "Honda Red". Take that piece to an auto body shop and they can match that color perfectly, even if it is age faded. Call ahead and ask what it'll cost but it might be less than you think. The math gets complicated but in practice once that's done it's pretty easy.

I'm no expert on the topic but I learned some of it in my photography hobby. That's when I realized how important it is to have the camera, computer display, and photo printer all calibrated to show the same color the same way.

An example of non-calibrated color can be seen in any department store that sells televisions. On a wall they'll have a bunch of them tuned to the same station. Almost every single one of them will be displaying different colors on the same scenes because they are not calibrated. If they were they'd all show the same color. That's the difference color calibration makes and auto body shops can do that with paint. You bring in a sample, they measure it, and can mix paint to match exactly.
I guess depending on how close this looks that could be an option. I did that for a trailer once and the guy got it pretty spot on.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 09:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 337
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1020
Likes (Received): 174
For the older HS blowers (at least from 1991 to 2012 when I bought a can), my dealer sold (and stills sells) Honda 08707-R8 Bright Red for $13.79.

The cap color in the photo is not accurate, it's actually more like the red in the label.

$11.24 from boats.net

RED SPRAY, CAN (R8) | 08707-R8 BRIGHT RED

http://tinyurl.com/y5ubwqav

It matched my HS828 really well. I can't speak for the Power Red though:

TUP POWER RED | 08707-R280 Honda

$12.17

http://tinyurl.com/y4pdo2b2

Honda HS828TAS (1991) Ė Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) Ė Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Chute painted one with flash and no flash. What do you guys think? It looks pretty close to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08EE5A20-B388-4A62-84A5-8EEC601E3533_1555297418057.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	155505   Click image for larger version

Name:	BABB3147-AA01-4EFF-BD1D-DE3A4B90D59A_1555297439410.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	155507  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page