Auger issue - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 04-20-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
So I initially thought I had a slightly seized auger but now I’m guessing I have another issue going on. When I take out the shear bolt on the left side auger(looking at from front of bucket) the auger housing is hard to turn for about 10 revolutions then frees up. Put the pin back in and remove same thing. Seems like theirs a good sized gap from the piece that shear bolt goes through and auger. When tightened it pulls them together. A piece of concrete was hit from previous owner and did shear pin. Augers spin fine normally and make no noise? I’m worried if I use the blower I’ll hit something and that shaft won’t move to break the pin. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A80CA635-6FFB-49FF-ADDA-BC3DA44D8575_1555804418716.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	155593  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-20-2019, 09:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 622
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 877
Likes (Received): 925
Garage
if this is a Honda then take augers out. takes 5-10 minutes.

remove impeller pin
then remove 4 side bolts on both sides of housing. if you have a 928 you also have to remove 2 bolts on top of auger gearbox that hold the bracket.

then slide whole auger assembly out.

i bet the auger gearbox shafts and the where they fit into augers need to cleaned , reamed , etc. you can remove impeller and clean that out too and the apply antiseize grease to all shafts.

you can also inspect side bearings and replace or repack with grease while your at it. unless the auger itself is tweeked or bent ( which you can bend back with some large locking pliers ) they should run a lot smoother.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #3 of 32 Old 04-20-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
FYI I removed side bolts and sprayed kroil and anti seize in while spinning augers. Once i got them spinning free today their was anti seize coming out where the shear pin goes. Seems like it’s something with putting shear pin in and something being off. Does my pic look normal orangputeh?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #4 of 32 Old 04-20-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just don’t get why every time I put the shear pin in and take it back out it spins hard till I spin it a bunch of times. Seems like something with the gap between the auger and where the bolt goes thru. I’m by no means an expert on this stuff so all your help is appreciated.
post #5 of 32 Old 04-20-2019, 11:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 161
Perhaps you are cranking down too tight on the shear pin and crushing the augur? On most blowers the pins use locks nuts, and you only tighten to just snug, not gorilla tight . . .
post #6 of 32 Old 04-21-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It’s possible. I tighten both sides till they stop. Right side their is no gap and left side their is and the auger and bolt mount pulls tight. Maybe on the left I should just make snug. Bolt would basically be even to 1 thread tight, don’t know if that would come undone...
post #7 of 32 Old 04-21-2019, 11:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Shear bolts should only be done up finger tight. You should be able to turn them in the holes after you are done tightening them up. The idea is that the bolt carries the torque from the internal shaft to the auger rake at the point of contact between the bolt and the rake pipe. If you mash the auger pipe tight with the shear bolt, and basically squeeze the auger pipe onto the internal drive shaft, you are defeating the purpose of the shear bolt. You may also be deforming the auger pipe.

If you have some weird dragging going on now, you should probably disassemble the auger assembly and find out why. Maybe there are some burrs in the inside of some holes or some part of the auger pipe is flattened. You might just need to clean the iinternal drive shaft of old grease and crap, then relubricate it and reassemble everything. Guessing at what might be causing it will probably not get you as good an answer as actually taking it apart and seeing what is going on.

Make sure you add grease to the auger drive shafts through the zerk fittings while the shear bolts are out, and then spin the rakes on the drive sharts to spread the grease around. This is simply to keep water from creating rust inside the auger pipes and seizing them to the internal drive shaft. Also, add grease to the shear bolts when reinstalling them.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #8 of 32 Old 04-21-2019, 11:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Shear bolts should only be done up finger tight. You should be able to turn them in the holes after you are done tightening them up. The idea is that the bolt carries the torque from the internal shaft to the auger rake at the point of contact between the bolt and the rake pipe. If you mash the auger pipe tight with the shear bolt, and basically squeeze the auger pipe onto the internal drive shaft, you are defeating the purpose of the shear bolt. You may also be deforming the auger pipe.

If you have some weird dragging going on now, you should probably disassemble the auger assembly and find out why. Maybe there are some burrs in the inside of some holes or some part of the auger pipe is flattened. You might just need to clean the iinternal drive shaft of old grease and crap, then relubricate it and reassemble everything. Guessing at what might be causing it will probably not get you as good an answer as actually taking it apart and seeing what is going on.

Make sure you add grease to the auger drive shafts through the zerk fittings while the shear bolts are out, and then spin the rakes on the drive sharts to spread the grease around. This is simply to keep water from creating rust inside the auger pipes and seizing them to the internal drive shaft. Also, add grease to the shear bolts when reinstalling them.
ya, that's what i said.

he wants an easy fix....

post #9 of 32 Old 04-21-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post

ya, that's what i said.

he wants an easy fix....
I said I didn’t know much about the auger assembly on these snowblowers. Yes I would prefer the easy fix. It’s unfair to assume everyone is as mechanically inclined as you and can take apart an auger assembly and trouble shoot every situation. I came to this site to gain some knowledge about this snowblower because I had some questions about it and wanted to care for and maintain the machine. When I have a day to tackle the job I will have to pull everything apart and go from there. I’ve never heard of shear bolts being finger tight on a Honda. YouTube videos about replacing Honda shear bolts say the opposite that you should tighten and the auger and shear bolt block or whatever it’s called will pull together. I put a pic up with my post asking if their is supposed to be a gap there. I still don’t know why there is but if the bolts should move that’s how I will tighten them. Sorry I’m only going by what I know.
post #10 of 32 Old 04-21-2019, 07:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfanatic View Post
I said I didnít know much about the auger assembly on these snowblowers. Yes I would prefer the easy fix. Itís unfair to assume everyone is as mechanically inclined as you and can take apart an auger assembly and trouble shoot every situation. I came to this site to gain some knowledge about this snowblower because I had some questions about it and wanted to care for and maintain the machine. When I have a day to tackle the job I will have to pull everything apart and go from there. Iíve never heard of shear bolts being finger tight on a Honda. YouTube videos about replacing Honda shear bolts say the opposite that you should tighten and the auger and shear bolt block or whatever itís called will pull together. I put a pic up with my post asking if their is supposed to be a gap there. I still donít know why there is but if the bolts should move thatís how I will tighten them. Sorry Iím only going by what I know.
I apologize if you took my remarks the wrong way. i have run into so many people that want an easy fix and then make things worse and then want me to fix their problem. Now if the augers were tweeked that may cause that gap. maybe it is something else. That gap is NOT supposed to be there. If it is not fixed you will just keep breaking shear pins. I do not just finger tight shear pins. I keep them tight.

What happens when they are loose is they break easily and they elongate the holes and make matters worse. I am not a Honda certified mechanic so if one is on this forum maybe they can put their two cents in.

Maybe post a picture of the entire auger assembly and maybe we can see something obvious. It has been my hard learned experience to take the auger assembly out and do things right so you will be good to go for several seasons and have no more problems.

Your description of the problem was rather good and that is why I suggested taking the auger assembly out instead of just using penetrating oil. The hangup you mentioned is a concern. You do not want to have a seized auger if the shear pin breaks. That force has to go somewhere and it is usually to the auger gearbox where the case can maybe crack and then you are looking at a really expensive repair.

It's really very easy if it's a Honda.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page