post #1 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 701
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 1177
Likes (Received): 1174
Garage
Seized GX240 engine advice needed

hello folks. found a free gx240 engine off a honda hs828 that the owner seized by running it with little to no oil.

even though this engine is 28 years old it is extremely clean. the carb was immaculate and everything points to low hours on engine .

I took it apart and found that when i loosened the bolts on the rod a little the engine and piston turned over very smoothly. the rod is scored so it needs to be replaced. I can find a replacement very cheaply but my question is what else should I look for before reassembling?

the piston is very clean . the head is very clean. no carbon and the valves do not look burnt and are clean and work fine.

the crank does not appear to be scored where the rod attaches to. very smooth and when i took the crankcase cover off there was still some oil in it but not very much. everything appears to be good . I have seen scored cranks before.

If any of you have had experience rebuilding one of these gx engines do you think i may be okay just replacing the rod?

thanks.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 186
rod is scored? do you mean rod bearings? really hard to say if it is worth rebuilding unless you really need a Honda engine. the cheap honda clones have become so common and cheap that it is really hard to justify rebuilding a engine unless it was an odball engine for a factory restoration.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #3 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
rod is scored? do you mean rod bearings? really hard to say if it is worth rebuilding unless you really need a Honda engine. the cheap honda clones have become so common and cheap that it is really hard to justify rebuilding a engine unless it was an odball engine for a factory restoration.
yes, i meant the bearings.

with a rod being $15 i think it may be worth it for the experience. it actually looks like a new engine . the owner was very vague when i asked him some questions.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 12:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 186
for $15 i guess you can't really go wrong. definitely make sure you give it a good "breakin"/run time before tossing it on a machine or selling it. if you got some free time definitely something to do. nothing really much to it. a couple years ago when i had more free time i would tear apart engine and swap parts as needed but engines seem so cheap and plentiful i would be more likely to swap an engine than replace it now.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #5 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
for $15 i guess you can't really go wrong. definitely make sure you give it a good "breakin"/run time before tossing it on a machine or selling it. if you got some free time definitely something to do. nothing really much to it. a couple years ago when i had more free time i would tear apart engine and swap parts as needed but engines seem so cheap and plentiful i would be more likely to swap an engine than replace it now.
I bought a package deal from Everest Parts. rod and piston , pin, gaskets , head gasket , carb gaskets , rings , etc for 34 buckeroos. I have bought carbs and other stuff from them and it has all been good. very fast shipping also. a couple days.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
here is the only damage i could find. going to give it another thorough inspection before the rebuild.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190721_164145_resized.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	156415  

post #7 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 04:37 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 199
Cam bearings, crank bearings, cam lobes and piston pin look OK? If so, and the cylinder is not scored, I'd drop a rod in in a heartbeat. Myself, I am of the opinion (based on what I have seen in older GX series Hondas) that they will outlast anything Chinese by many orders of magnitude, and $15 to get that is darn near free . . . .

Sounds like the rod went dry and tightened up, and for one reason or another, it was shut down in time, and the damage was limited to that area. Be certain to check the crank with calipers as well . . just to be safe!

- Tim
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
post #8 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Cam bearings, crank bearings, cam lobes and piston pin look OK? If so, and the cylinder is not scored, I'd drop a rod in in a heartbeat. Myself, I am of the opinion (based on what I have seen in older GX series Hondas) that they will outlast anything Chinese by many orders of magnitude, and $15 to get that is darn near free . . . .

Sounds like the rod went dry and tightened up, and for one reason or another, it was shut down in time, and the damage was limited to that area. Be certain to check the crank with calipers as well . . just to be safe!

- Tim
ok. thanks Tim . wiil do.

post #9 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 06:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 181
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 626
Got 24 years on the 6.5 Chondra from HF on my ST 824....don't baby it either..still got a couple of decades in it...at least.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #10 of 11 Old 07-23-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post

- Tim
Don't know if i mentioned it but this engine is extremely clean. guy toldme it came with house and it had sat for years. the main part of blower is pristine for an 828. augers and scraper bar looks new , paint barely wore off inside of chute. no carbon on piston or valves. spark plug perfect. carburetor clean as a hound tooth.

the owner seemed really embarrassed about not checking oil before start up. since he did not history of it I am ASSUMING that it had a slow leak. 2 of the crankcase bolts were very loose and I seen oil evidence it that bottom corner. he must have started it and it shut down rather quickly.

he came to me to swap out engines. I gave him a great deal on a good used engine with healthy compression . If i can swap out the rod and gaskets and that is all it needs I made out very well. This engine will be a keeper for down the road.

The only thing I am confused about is that there is NO timing mark on the crank gear. There is one on the camshaft gear. Is there a trick on lining them up correctly? Every video I have watched shows the timing marks. This crankcase gear does not have one. Even used a magnifying glass to search.

I do remember before pulling the camshaft that the weights on the crank was perfectly at the 6 oclock position but I know it has to be perfect. mesh on gears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page