post #1 of 20 Old 08-03-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New guy with an HS 55

Hey guys!

New guy here. I’ve never been a snowblower fanatic or anything, but have always been mechanically inclined, and have worked on plenty of engines.

Anyway, today I snagged an old HS 55 for a whopping 5 bucks! It looks to have not been used much, but it has been sitting for quite a while. The guy I got it from was just letting a friend store it at his house, and the friend never came to get it, so his loss was my gain.

He said it doesn’t run, but he wasn’t very mechanically inclined so he didn’t try too hard.

I haven’t tried to start it yet, but I also noticed it doesn’t have an air filter. So that, a good lube job, some fresh gas and a good carb cleaning are my first orders of business, assuming I can still find an air filter for it.

Just figured I’d share my score for today. Seems like these machines were well made back in the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-03-2019, 05:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1098
ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 20 Old 08-03-2019, 05:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Settle View Post
Hey guys!

I havenít tried to start it yet, but I also noticed it doesnít have an air filter. So that, a good lube job, some fresh gas and a good carb cleaning are my first orders of business, assuming I can still find an air filter for it.

Just figured Iíd share my score for today. Seems like these machines were well made back in the day.
Snowblowers do not use an air filter because the cold air and moisture will freeze and clog the filter very quickly. The carb should be contained within a metal box that allows engine warmed air to keep the carb from freezing. You may also want to check the spark plug and ensure it fires with the ignition system.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 20 Old 08-22-2019, 02:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 5
I'd say don't bother fixing anything and sell to me for $50. You can 10 times your money... Just sayin

Congratulations on stealing that. I just got an older K2 version myself last year (paid $500 CAD since it was only one for sale around Calgary) and put love into it and now mine runs like a top again.
You will love tinkering.
Did you but the Wheel or Track version?

Seriously...$50 and I will take it

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 Old 08-22-2019, 06:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 626
Thanks (Received): 153
Likes (Given): 923
Likes (Received): 991
Garage
Quote:
Hey guys!

New guy here. Iíve never been a snowblower fanatic or anything, but have always been mechanically inclined, and have worked on plenty of engines.

Anyway, today I snagged an old HS 55 for a whopping 5 bucks! It looks to have not been used much, but it has been sitting for quite a while. The guy I got it from was just letting a friend store it at his house, and the friend never came to get it, so his loss was my gain.

He said it doesnít run, but he wasnít very mechanically inclined so he didnít try too hard.

I havenít tried to start it yet, but I also noticed it doesnít have an air filter. So that, a good lube job, some fresh gas and a good carb cleaning are my first orders of business, assuming I can still find an air filter for it.

Just figured Iíd share my score for today. Seems like these machines were well made back in the day.
drain old gas, change plug , clean out carburetor . check oil before starting . should run after all that. warm up oil and then change oil.

how bout pictures? here's my 55.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_144125_resized.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	156711  

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #6 of 20 Old 08-23-2019, 04:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 81
Garage
And make sure the skid shoes are adjusted right.

I like that logo stamped into the auger housing!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #7 of 20 Old 08-25-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry for the lack of updates, between trying to buy a house and working and going to school, life has been very hectic!!

Anyway, for a total of about 47 bucks (including the purchase price of the machine),I have a fully functional HS55!

I bought a new gas tank because the old tank was completely rusted inside, bought a new carb since the old one was filled with dirt from the wind sweeping dirt up inside the intake when it sat outside for God knows how long, replaced the spark plug, stator, and changed the oil (which had so much gas mixed in it it was pretty much the consistency of water). I also sprayed all the moving parts with a good spray on grease.

So I put it all together, filled the tank, turn the choke on and... it fired up on the first pull!!

The auger and transmission both engage and disengage nicely, and it runs like a top. She’s ready to throw some snow!

One question though. Not surprisingly, presumably from sitting for so long, the auger gearbox is leaking oil. I didn’t see any full or drain plug to speak of. Is there any way to fill it with oil? I would like to take it apart and put a new gasket in it. It looks like a fairly easy fix. But how do I fill it with oil?
post #8 of 20 Old 08-25-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
Quote:
Hey guys!

New guy here. I’ve never been a snowblower fanatic or anything, but have always been mechanically inclined, and have worked on plenty of engines.

He said it doesn’t run, but he wasn’t very mechanically inclined so he didn’t try too hard.

I haven’t tried to start it yet, but I also noticed it doesn’t have an air filter. So that, a good lube job, some fresh gas and a good carb cleaning are my first orders of business, assuming I can still find an air filter for it.

Just figured I’d share my score for today. Seems like these machines were well made back in the day.
drain old gas, change plug , clean out carburetor . check oil before starting . should run after all that. warm up oil and then change oil.

how bout pictures? here's my 55.
That thing is clean!! My is very faded from sitting outside for so long. But I’m gonna try and bring the color back to it when I have some time.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-25-2019, 06:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 626
Thanks (Received): 153
Likes (Given): 923
Likes (Received): 991
Garage
Quote:
That thing is clean!! My is very faded from sitting outside for so long. But Iím gonna try and bring the color back to it when I have some time.
mine wasn't faded but i have brought back color with rubbing compound and a lot of muscle and work. sometimes when the machine is very nice otherwise I will take the housing , fuel tank, and chute off and have them blasted and powder coated. it's fairly affordable if live live near a city with competing shops that do this work.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #10 of 20 Old 08-26-2019, 09:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 5
Quote:
One question though. Not surprisingly, presumably from sitting for so long, the auger gearbox is leaking oil. I didnít see any full or drain plug to speak of. Is there any way to fill it with oil? I would like to take it apart and put a new gasket in it. It looks like a fairly easy fix. But how do I fill it with oil?
It's easy, but a bit time consuming as you have to take the machine apart a bunch just to get to auger gearbox.

You must separate the bucket from the engine, then you undo the 4 bolts per side of bucket that hold the auger rods and the rod's bearings and then remove the main tranny shaft from pulley to gearbox and pull out all and then slip augers off the auger rods/shafts and then you can separate the gearbox.
In all honesty it's not a long process but in fact you get to know your machine a lot more when you do this.
I'd go to www.boats.net and but new bearings since you have to take them off the bucket anyhow and the old ones MAY be seized more than you think. Plus the bearings I believe we're just $9 each. You can also buy the gearbox gasket from them too.

I too had a leaky gearbox but I noticed the previous owner/repairer used grey gasket maker WITH the factory gasket. I removed all grey gasket maker safely and amazingly the gasket was still perfect shape so I cleaned with isopropyl alcohol any mating surface and then after inspection of interior and removes all gear oil and refilling with new, I then put back together and refilled. What a difference in how easily the tranny shaft would spin then!!!
Let out of machine to see if it would leak. None so I put it all back together the next day.
Lots of YouTube vids on how to separate bucket and engine and how to replace the two belts while in there. I did that too because of necessity. WOW this thing is amazing now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in