LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 09-14-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New updated Honda snowblowers?

Just checking in to see if anyone has heard any news about Honda updating their snowblowers in the near future? I just sold my 16 year old 928 and started researching with the intention of buying a newer model with steering. After visiting the dealer I noticed there wasn't much if any changes except for the steering. I already had a Canadian model so the joystick control and hydraulic lift are something I already had. I've read the issues of clogging on the new machines and the change in the chute, which honestly seems like a stop gap measure and I read about the jet and impeller kit upgrade. None of these issues concern me as they are easy mods. BUT, with the reviews of the Ariens Rapid Track and how innovative it is etc. plus the Honda haters saying Honda's are outdated, underpowered etc. I can only think that Honda is listening to this also and would think that they are going to hit back with a new design or some change to their blower line to stay on top. In the end, my fear is that I invest over $3000 this year and then the 2020 model is completed redesigned to address these criticisms. I wish snowblowers were like electronics or new cars where leaks of new products or upcoming products were available. If anyone has any inside information, speak up😀
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-14-2019, 06:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 350
Likes (Received): 161
I've heard nothing. Looks like you've sold your's so.... might be time to purchase a new one anyway.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #3 of 27 Old 09-14-2019, 06:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Husqvarna has been busy, have you checked out the new 400 series? https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/snow-blowers/

That ST 430T looks nice. Hydro, tracks, 420cc and a 5 year warranty.

post #4 of 27 Old 09-14-2019, 09:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 206
Likes (Received): 123
Garage
It took Honda many years to upgrade to its recent model so I doubt there is a totally new revision coming. The HSS928 should get the auger protection system soon. That's probably the next upgrade in the works, but I don't know if it is coming in 2020.

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes highdesignfool liked this post
post #5 of 27 Old 09-15-2019, 12:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 118
Likes (Received): 64
Like they always say, "If it ain't broke, don"t fix it".
You might want to read what some of the Ariens "Rapid-track" haters say, and they don't care for it too much at all, sounds like they have their share of problems and do not handle as well as they advertise.
The people that I know who have them, and from operating them, are, and I, am glad to stay with Honda, and they were all sorry they traded their Honda's in for them. They could not wait to replace them with another Honda for its ease of operation and reliability, plus not having to replace friction wheels all the time, and no slippage with the Hydro drive and infinitely variable speed.
A lot of the people even wanted the Non Steerable models due to less parts that wear and brake.
They did not like the Rapid Track design and handling at all, they all felt is was a very poorly, cheaply designed unit that was a real pain in the butt to work with, and would much have a wheel drive instead of that. They liked the Honda track design and operation much better, it was built a lot stronger and more useful from what I noticed and everyone else I know that had them.
But, try them if you want to experiment with it. We use ours mostly commercially, and some homeowner use.
I would also say to stay with the Older Honda Hydro units, the unit was built by Honda, and was a far better unit then the newer ones, stronger and more reliable. I would be afraid of all the new machines coming out with Hydro drives nowadays because the manufacturers of the Hydro units are not built that well in all of the other companies machines.
Honda doesn't make their Hydro units now, they are made by an outside company, so it will be at least 25 years to see if they hold up like the older ones.
All of our commercial machines are at least 26-27 years old and never had a problem with their Hydro drive units, I don't think we ever replaced a drive belt on any of them yet, and some with well over 1000 hours on them, I think we got our monies worth out of our Honda's.

Last edited by ST1100A; 09-15-2019 at 01:34 AM.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-15-2019, 02:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsinspection View Post
Just checking in to see if anyone has heard any news about Honda updating their snowblowers in the near future? I just sold my 16 year old 928 and started researching with the intention of buying a newer model with steering. After visiting the dealer I noticed there wasn't much if any changes except for the steering. I already had a Canadian model so the joystick control and hydraulic lift are something I already had. I've read the issues of clogging on the new machines and the change in the chute, which honestly seems like a stop gap measure and I read about the jet and impeller kit upgrade. None of these issues concern me as they are easy mods. BUT, with the reviews of the Ariens Rapid Track and how innovative it is etc. plus the Honda haters saying Honda's are outdated, underpowered etc. I can only think that Honda is listening to this also and would think that they are going to hit back with a new design or some change to their blower line to stay on top. In the end, my fear is that I invest over $3000 this year and then the 2020 model is completed redesigned to address these criticisms. I wish snowblowers were like electronics or new cars where leaks of new products or upcoming products were available. If anyone has any inside information, speak up😀
================================================== ================================================== ================================================== =====================================

Have you looked at the Yamaha 1028EJ or its little brother?
post #7 of 27 Old 09-15-2019, 06:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Husqvarna has been busy, have you checked out the new 400 series? https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/snow-blowers/

That ST 430T looks nice. Hydro, tracks, 420cc and a 5 year warranty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwm84TqHRd4
Looks nice but I don’t want a “unique” engine (he actually uses those words in review). The Honda GX engines have been around forever with minor tweaks along the way. They have more than proven themselves. I am looking to buy a new machine and I don’t like any of the engine choices on all the other makes. If Toro or Ariens had a Honda engine there is a good chance I would buy it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ST1100A liked this post
post #8 of 27 Old 09-15-2019, 07:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_effect View Post
Looks nice but I don’t want a “unique” engine (he actually uses those words in review). The Honda GX engines have been around forever with minor tweaks along the way. They have more than proven themselves. I am looking to buy a new machine and I don’t like any of the engine choices on all the other makes. If Toro or Ariens had a Honda engine there is a good chance I would buy it.
Speaking of the good 'ol GX Honda's, how about the mini-shocker this spring when Honda came out with the GVC200 engine. That replaced the The GVC190 on the HRX line which was already a higher output than most 21" mowers. So I guess I would not be too surprised to see higher output engines go into their snowblowers. As a matter of fact I'm wondering now....why not??

post #9 of 27 Old 09-19-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
================================================== ================================================== ================================================== =====================================

Have you looked at the Yamaha 1028EJ or its little brother?
I wish they were available in the US. They look like nice machines.
post #10 of 27 Old 09-19-2019, 02:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 118
Likes (Received): 64
I would stay as far away from that "Unique" engine as possible. That "Unique" fuel injection is an absolute failure with nothing but problems and extremely costly to fix, but what do you expect for the China recycled engine.
I would stay with the Honda GX series engine, it is tried and true with the most longevity and reliability, especially the older engines. Stay away from the GC series, they were another China mistake and did not hold up at all like the GX series.
The best were the engines that were made in America, and Japan, stay away from anything made in China unless you dont expect to keep it for more than a couple of months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in