post #1 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 653
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 1013
Likes (Received): 1059
Garage
A $750 quote for bad spark plug hole

A guy I know took his Honda hS928 to the local dealer for a service. the spark plug was cross threaded in from previous owner . the dealer quoted $750 for a new head and labor and $250 for a carburetor clean out. Or maybe it was 250 for the service including the carb clean out. Not sure .

Fortunately , the guy said no and had enough mechanical ability to remove head , used a spark plug port repair kit , and reassemble everything. he also cleaned the carb himself. Now his says the machine is running like new. I helped him with my Honda shop manual and answering questions and advice.

It seems the dealers nowadays are not in the repair business anymore. Just parts changers. I kinda can understand since I have spoken to shop owners about this. Liability and warranty issues as well as the high cost of doing business , manpower and overhead costs and trying to conform with state and federal regulations.

The world sure has changed.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 07:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 250
Just did the same on a Ariens Sno-Tek, got it cheap because the thread, Pulled the head and helicoil to the rescue, runs great now.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 08:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
I used a helicoil many years ago on one of my cars ... worked great then.

Yeah, unless the owner is mechanically inclined, even when people maintain their equipment, after so many years, and even under normal wear, I have seen many just forget about bringing it to a repair shop, and just buy a new one. Everything now is becoming throw away items for many people.

I suppose that keeps people like use with never needing to buy one ....
post #4 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 01:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 108
Those of us old enough remember TV repair shops, service stations that had a couple of repair bays, bicycle repair shops, etc. Heck, I even remember typewriter repair shops. You're right...things have changed.

A lot of people have an attitude that the product has to be exactly as it came out of the box new, or it is not useable. I've always thought of machines and consumer products like people: we've each got our distinctive wrinkles, flaws, and great features.

I love repairing things now that I am retired and have the time. My wife laughs and says I'll spend a thousand dollars on a tool to fix a 50 dollar item. She's right; I guess I just like being independent enough to fix it over and over if needed.

----------------
Peter
Honda HSS724ACTD, HS520 and HS720CC.

"Perfection is an insult to the Gods."
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes paulm12 liked this post
post #5 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 02:32 AM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 174
I don't know about you, but for me, whenever I repair anything, my goal is to return it to as close as new condition as possible. No half-assing, craptastic offshore parts, etc. It the owner wants jerry-rigged junk, they can break their own equipment . . .
post #6 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 08:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 260
Heh... when I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was "Wow, if a bad spark plug hole is $750, how much does a good one cost?"

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, paulm12 liked this post
post #7 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 09:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 134
Likes (Received): 115
I understand the dealers point of view. Quite often I hear that they just can't afford to fix things as much anymore. Since the cost of consumer items, including OPE, has come down so much over the past 30 to 40 years, it just doesn't make economic sense for them to fix an older part that they can replace for less. Or sometimes to fix it at all, a new lawnmower may be a better choice for the customer who doesn't want to repair it themselves. We may not agree with that mentality, but that is part of the "cost" of technological and economic progress. And of course, as has been mentioned, it keeps our hobby with ample supply of material.

Note that at my shop, a few of the techs love being able to identify the problem I am having with a part, and provide a good solution, even if in the shop they would just replace. They have a wealth of knowledge there, and I take full advantage.

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
Likes orangputeh, CalgaryPT liked this post
post #8 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Note that at my shop, a few of the techs love being able to identify the problem I am having with a part, and provide a good solution, even if in the shop they would just replace. They have a wealth of knowledge there, and I take full advantage.[/QUOTE]

You're right. The techs at our dealer are great with me. They know I don't want a new part . I want a solution. So it's a nice challenge to figure out a good fix for minimum cost. They just can not do it for customers since the fixes are not "dealer authorized"

I treat someone's machine like it's my own. While a shop may just replace a carburetor for $100 or more I like the challenge of cleaning/rebuilding for a fraction of cost. Or taking an old part from my bins and making it work by tweeking if necessary to make it work for someone's blower.

It just makes me uncomfortable when the dealer charges people so much for repairs and parts when there is a lot cheaper alternative. Most people work paycheck to paycheck and a repair bill on a Honda could be huge to them. I like to help these people out. That's just about the only reason I started the Facebook group for Honda owners. I don't know as much as a certified tech. All my knowledge is just from experience. If I can help people help themselves then that is the payback.

Likes paulm12, Grunt liked this post
post #9 of 16 Old 10-09-2019, 02:11 PM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
A lot of mechs will install spark plugs with an air gun, and unrortunly once in a while they will cross thread a plug. I always start plugs by hand, then the wrench. You might not be able to "feel" the plug, or any thing being cross threaded with a gun. This ain't Nascar.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
post #10 of 16 Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
A lot of mechs will install spark plugs with an air gun, and unrortunly once in a while they will cross thread a plug. I always start plugs by hand, then the wrench. You might not be able to "feel" the plug, or any thing being cross threaded with a gun. This ain't Nascar.
Sid
really?

WOW! never heard that before. a spark plug with an air gun. must be Nascar wannabees like you say.

I'll continue to just make sounds like I'l using an air gun

VOOOOOOOOOOAH
VOOOOOOOOOOOAH
VOOOOOOOOAH

wife thinks I've lost my marbles.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in