Snowblower Forum banner

Value / Age of an HS 724?

10K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ChrisPeri 
#1 ·
Hello all -
My elderly neighbor may be selling his HS724 and I am interested in buying if the price is right. However, I think that even used it might be out of my range in which case I'd like to help him list it for sale at a fair price.

The case is stamped with GCAE and then the SN# - what else would be needed to determine age? He has had it maintained by the local honda shop since he purchased it - it's solid.

thanks for any info

#2 ·
You can get close by looking at the copyright date on the owners manual... My friend's HS724 manual says 2001-2007, for example, so probably near the end of that range. Calling Honda will get you the date sold.

#14 ·
Hi there all, don't mean to be off topic a little. I am looking for a HS724 and have a line on one. So I called Honda Canada, going thru the phone menu to Power Equip., talked to rep and asked to verify date for a serial number and they said they could not provide info. For those searching the forum as I did, be careful; it maybe more about who answers the phone. I explained I was looking at an older model machine and didn't want to make a mistake on mis-representation, still no go. I also likened it to a car VIN, still no go. Oh well. If someone can help: szbe-1050172 HS724, tracks, no electric start. Cheers

#5 ·
I just talked with the owner - he can't recall the exact age but feels it is between 10 and 12 years. He has had it 'tuned up' each year. I've used it a few times in the past few years and it runs very well.

So - if we assume it is in very good condition and approx 10-12 years old - would there be an approx range for the value?

thank you,

#6 · (Edited)
I'm no expert and I have no idea of the condition of the machine.

However, you say it runs well and has full service history. That counts for a lot!!!

As a guide, cars & motorcycles that hold their value most will see returns of about 60% after 3 years. That blower could be 12 years old.

A new base 724 is about $2300. 60% of that after 3 years would be $1480 (although in the real world a 3 year old Honda would go for about $1500 - $1800 I think)

A really nice 10 - 12 year old one? Maybe $800 lower to $1200 higher?? Just a reasoned guess

Make him an offer!!! Maybe he'll take a few installments

Edit / add - thinking a bit more about it, I could see a machine like you describe going for more like $1,000 lower and maybe $1400 higher.

#8 ·
Well - in a turn of events they offered to sell it to me for $400. So, as they say, the check is in the mail (but it really is).
I'm not positive, but it may need a new muffler - how often do they go bad? This one sounds louder than i remember it being last time i had borrowed it.

I won't be able to get the owners manual until the spring.

Of course, i've done their sidewalk a few times with it already this year and helped them several times in the past as well - so that helped both of us.

I still have my toro single stage for the smaller events, but the deep snow and slush won't be an issue now!

#12 ·
you just got a great deal buddy. check with the local Honda dealer to see if they have a used muffler in their bins. otherwise check boats.net.
have not run across bad mufflers on a Honda. does it have the exhaust gasket? maybe needs a new gasket .

#9 ·
even if it needs a muffler $400 seems pretty for a honda. definitely may want to get the muffler swapped out if there is holes where water could get into the muffler/engine. you cam most likely get a new muffler pretty cheap. you could probably buy one from harbor freight for the predator engines for under $20 that would likely work. everyone seems to be copying the honda's.

#13 ·
We just replaced our muffler on approx 20year old HS724. We followed some advice on here and used the parts from the brand new HSS724. It was a lot cheaper and worked like a charm.

Less than 5 minutes to do the complete swap (hint, install the heat shield before mounting the new muffler to save yourself some time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.