New (to me )1336i hybrid - What did I do? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
New (to me )1336i hybrid - What did I do?

Hey all,

New to the forums, with a new purchase. I used to plow several driveways using an ATV plow, but decided to switch to a blower after ruining too many flower beds and lawns. Began searching for a new blower, or good used blower and came across a 2010 Honda 1336i Hybrid for a deal that I just couldn't pass up.

Its WAY more machine than I need, but the Honda reputation, good price, and frankly...the coolness of it caused me to bite. The machine looks to be very well taken care of. Very little paint wear, auger housing not worn down, tracks in good shape, spare chute etc.

Anyway, when the previous owner fired it up and we took it for a little test spin on the driveway, there was what sounded to me like a belt slipping/squealing. It was a buy-now situation (I was only in the area once) so I bought it anyways as the unit works flawlessly otherwise.

This is my first blower, and yes, this is an an extremely complicated and expensive machine and likely a poor first choice for a blower... but man it was too cool to pass up. There's not a ton of info. on the net on these things, especially anything to do with the hybrid drive. I'm the type who usually buys the shop manual for equipment and tries to learn as much as I can about it.

Question: This thing powers the tracks using the 24v onboard battery system, which I assume powers the tracks directly. I'm guessing there's no drive belt in there between the electric motors and track wheels. So I'm assuming the engine runs an auger drive shaft and there's a clutch for the auger, and that the belt squeal in question is likely the auger belt(s)? The squealing happens only in relation to the machine moving forward or backwards, not when the auger is engaged or disengaged. It makes the noise only when the machine is in forward or reverse gear, not neutral. It doesn't seem to matter if the auger is engaged or not using the auger clutch. If I engage forwards or reverse slowly it makes no noise. Its a VERY loud belt-slippage sound if you've ever heard that. The noise is steady, and seems related to engine RPM and not forward speed (ie. doesn't appear to be the sound of tracks on runners). Again suggesting auger belt(s)?

Am I on the right track? I want to order new belts from the local dealer and try and find an shop manual for it (hitting up local dealer today). Maybe they can point me in the right direction as well. I don't believe its a bearing as the sound is much too loud, lower pitched, and because of the somewhat intermittent nature of the sound and it being related to engagement speed. I could be wrong though.

Hopefully this is the only "hiccup" with the purchase, as I can see this thing looks generally very expensive to repair... Hopefully not a big mistake. Engine is running strong, and it looks like it wants to eat snow just sitting in the garage! Kids want me to rig up a tow system and pull them on skiis behind it

Thanks for any advice anyone has on this model! I'll share our snow blowing adventures (Northern Ontario) with you all this winter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1336i.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	157601  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Location: Brit girl from London now in the Blue Ridge Mountains
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 68
Hi & welcome!!

Go big or go home - and you went big!!!

Hope you enjoy your beast. Here's some parts diagrams which may answer your questions as to what lurks within Snowzilla.

https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oem...s1336i-a-parts

'Parker' Honda 2017 HSS724AWD
'Puffer' 2011 Toro 1 Stage
'Jen' Honda EM6500 generator
'Tilly' Honda Mantis tiller
Remember the 7 Ps - Proper Planning Preparation Prevents P Poor Performance
post #3 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for this! Looking like there's only the 1 pair of belts for the auger... headed out to the shop to start taking things apart.
post #4 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Location: Brit girl from London now in the Blue Ridge Mountains
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 68
Top tip - get yourself a shop manual if you don't have one already. $50 very well spent.

Looks like you have one of two possible models:

https://publications.powerequipment....ower-equipment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda parts.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	157603  

'Parker' Honda 2017 HSS724AWD
'Puffer' 2011 Toro 1 Stage
'Jen' Honda EM6500 generator
'Tilly' Honda Mantis tiller
Remember the 7 Ps - Proper Planning Preparation Prevents P Poor Performance
post #5 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Found the issue, posting for future reference in case someone finds it. Alternator belt was not tight enough, whenever there was a demand for power to the batteries the alternator belt tightens up and thus the squealing.

Shop manual incoming. Agreed, its the best money you can spend...

Thanks!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks knu2xs thanked for this post
Likes Town liked this post
post #6 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 01:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 677
Thanks (Received): 177
Likes (Given): 1084
Likes (Received): 1102
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munshaw View Post
Found the issue, posting for future reference in case someone finds it. Alternator belt was not tight enough, whenever there was a demand for power to the batteries the alternator belt tightens up and thus the squealing.

Shop manual incoming. Agreed, its the best money you can spend...

Thanks!
glad you found the problem.having absolutely no experience with these i was going to suggest you contact your local dealer and speak to the head mechanic. they could possibly point you in the right direction on what to look at. Usually they have heard about every problem there is.

I have about $250 invested in Honda shop manuals and they are worth their weight in GOLD.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #7 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
glad you found the problem.having absolutely no experience with these i was going to suggest you contact your local dealer and speak to the head mechanic. they could possibly point you in the right direction on what to look at. Usually they have heard about every problem there is.

I have about $250 invested in Honda shop manuals and they are worth their weight in GOLD.

I hear ya with talking to local dealers, however its been my experience that they are so hesitant to try and diagnose something without seeing it. And rightly so. Sometimes its worth a little exploration yourself before bringing it in to rule out anything obvious/easy. Otherwise you get charged for an minimum hour shop rate at $100 an hour for... a loose belt for example. I like to give it the old college try before bringing it in, and I've found most of the time you learn a few things along the way.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 37
Thanks (Received): 159
Likes (Given): 86
Likes (Received): 273
Is your hybrid the HS1336i or the HSM1336i?
post #9 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It says HS1336i on the dash, apparently this thing is similar, but not quite the same as the one sold in the U.S.A.? (Canadian here). Mine doesn't have a green knob on it that I see most commonly on the current U.S. versions. It's made in Japan, and has a lit button on the panel labeled "iCS" which I assume does something similar. I can't seem to track down an owners manual for the exact same one, as all the owners manuals online have the green knob instead. I think its their international version??? Again.. not much info. out there on this unit.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 37
Thanks (Received): 159
Likes (Given): 86
Likes (Received): 273
Contact Honda Canada. They should be able to fix you up with an Owners Manual.

Honda Canada Inc.

180 Honda Blvd
Markham ON L6C 0H9

1-888-9HONDA9
1-877-939-0909

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page