LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-14-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Honda Snow Blower 24" Steering

I just bought a Honda Snow Blower 24" Gx 200 Hss724aawd and was wondering about the steering. When I pull on the left or right handle lever should it turn by itself or do you have to help it turn? If I pull either trigger I can make it turn left or right. It doesn't seem to matter which lever I pull up on I can turn it either way... I thought by pulling up the lever it should turn by itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-14-2019, 02:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 214
Likes (Received): 131
Garage
Spend some more time with it and you will get used to the steering. You can steer these without the trigger steering, but it takes a lot more muscle. Get going in a straight line slowly and then pull on the left trigger and make your turn without pulling on the handlebars. It takes a bit of practice to get used to it, but you will. Initially, I was not using the triggers to steer and was using the handlebars. It takes a lot less work to use the triggers.

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)

Last edited by Miles; 10-14-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-14-2019, 04:05 PM

Location: Brit girl from London now in the Blue Ridge Mountains
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 45
Likes (Received): 61
Hi Gary Ellis

In additionm to what Miles said......

I have your exact model. (2017)

The blower will turn l/r without engaging the little levers but it makes it much easier when you do.

Basically, the more throttle is engaged i.e. the higher the rpms, the faster the machine will turn if you use the triggers.

I find them easiest to use at low throttle and very handy they are, too.

Be aware - when you want to move the machine without the engine running, you have to hold both triggers down for free wheel.

Tip - the blower works even better with an impeller kit installed, esp in wet snow; I was getting quite bad clogging up until I installed my kit. There was also a redesigned chute a little back.

'Parker' Honda 2017 HSS724AWD
'Puffer' 2011 Toro 1 Stage
'Jen' Honda EM6500 generator
'Tilly' Honda Mantis tiller
Remember the 7 Ps - Proper Planning Preparation Prevents P Poor Performance

Last edited by SkunkyLawnmowers; 10-14-2019 at 04:10 PM.
post #4 of 17 Old 10-14-2019, 04:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 660
Thanks (Received): 172
Likes (Given): 1045
Likes (Received): 1079
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkyLawnmowers View Post
Hi Gary Ellis

In additionm to what Miles said......

I have your exact model. (2017)

The blower will turn l/r without engaging the little levers but it makes it much easier when you do.

Basically, the more throttle is engaged i.e. the higher the rpms, the faster the machine will turn if you use the triggers.

I find them easiest to use at low throttle and very handy they are, too.

Be aware - when you want to move the machine without the engine running, you have to hold both triggers down for free wheel.

Tip - the blower works even better with an impeller kit installed, esp in wet snow; I was getting quite bad clogging up until I installed my kit. There was also a redesigned chute a little back.
i thought when you depressed the steering handle it stop that track while the other track continued to turn thus making it easier to turn the machine.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #5 of 17 Old 10-14-2019, 04:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
i thought when you depressed the steering handle it stop that track while the other track continued to turn thus making it easier to turn the machine.
It might do but I'm only referring to wheeled models (as is, I believe Gary)

Edit - I think it does the same to the wheels. Did I say anythiong contrary to that in my main post? The net effct is the same I believe.

post #6 of 17 Old 10-14-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have the wheels and I thought when you pulled say the left lever up the left wheel would stop turning and the right wheel would continue to turn. If I pull up the right lever I can still turn it left. I was thinking if you pulled a lever up it would turn like a tank but I still have to help it turn. Strange that either lever will allow me to turn it either way. It sort of works like the Aries auto turn without the levers. What is the impeller kit your talking about? mine is a 2019 model will I need it and how good or bad is the electric chute. I read the motors freeze up. Have they corrected that problem

Last edited by Gary Ellis; 10-14-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Gary

I'm not sure if you've used your Honda in snow yet - all I can say is that the effect of the turning levers is more pronounced once the wheels are tracking in the snow and once the engine is revving. I actually prefer the blower to turn slowly, not so much because I'm a girl but because it's a machine one has to be careful with and treat cautiously.

Regarding the impeller kit. You'll know if you need one once you've used your Honda in wet or slushy snow / ice. Mine clogegd multiple times in those conditions and was borderline unusable. I live in Northern VA so the winters are not as cold as elsewhere.

So the end gap, so to speak, between the impeller and the auger housing is closed up with an impeller kit. That small gap is the cause (for me anyway) of slush and ice building up causing blockages. See the link below for how I did mine. I also link to a Youtuve vid of someone else doing theirs.

Re the chute - yours may have the new version - it will be the new one if the collar at the bottom of the chute is only a a couple of inches high, compared to about 5 or 6 inches with the old one.

My kit https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...ification.html

Someone elses -

Last edited by SkunkyLawnmowers; 10-14-2019 at 08:53 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-15-2019, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Gary

I'm not sure if you've used your Honda in snow yet - all I can say is that the effect of the turning levers is more pronounced once the wheels are tracking in the snow and once the engine is revving. I actually prefer the blower to turn slowly, not so much because I'm a girl but because it's a machine one has to be careful with and treat cautiously.

Regarding the impeller kit. You'll know if you need one once you've used your Honda in wet or slushy snow / ice. Mine clogegd multiple times in those conditions and was borderline unusable. I live in Northern VA so the winters are not as cold as elsewhere.

So the end gap, so to speak, between the impeller and the auger housing is closed up with an impeller kit. That small gap is the cause (for me anyway) of slush and ice building up causing blockages. See the link below for how I did mine. I also link to a Youtuve vid of someone else doing theirs.

Re the chute - yours may have the new version - it will be the new one if the collar at the bottom of the chute is only a a couple of inches high, compared to about 5 or 6 inches with the old one.

My kit https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...ification.html

Someone elses - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLHHMISF0UA
Can you show me what you mean about the new version collar at the bottom of the chute? Thank you
Why do you say," it's a machine one has to be careful with and treat cautiously"?

Last edited by Gary Ellis; 10-15-2019 at 03:29 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-15-2019, 08:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Read here https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...arts-info.html

It's a snowblower with potentially dangerous moving parts!!! Hot engine!!! Ice and snow are slippy!!! Have to take care in residential areas!!! Read the manual!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda chute.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	157773  

post #10 of 17 Old 10-15-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Read here https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...arts-info.html

It's a snowblower with potentially dangerous moving parts!!! Hot engine!!! Ice and snow are slippy!!! Have to take care in residential areas!!! Read the manual!!!
Well Thank You, you all have been very helpful. Mine is the newest version and now I just have to wait for the snow. I'm in VT...I had a 4 year old Ariens Pro Hydro 28" with a 422cc engine. I wanted to down size with a 24" Hydro so the Honda was really my only other choice. I hope the 198cc engine will be strong enough... I had a Honda 28" track 4 years ago and found it was very hard to maneuver but loved the motor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in