LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-09-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Fluid film on new machine

Good morning everyone. I just picked up a 2020 HSS1332ACTD yesterday. Very happy to say it has the modified shoot on it from factory. My question is about fluid film or looking for tips and tricks to maintain the machine and things to watch out for. This is my first snowblower. My thought with fluid film inside the housing and chute is to prevent any rust build up if the paint gets damaged during use. I'm just not sure if it will cause the snow to then stick to the film. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-09-2019, 08:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Received): 156
Morning,

I have seen many people that use and swear by Fluid Film. Me personally, I have never used it, nor really ever had the need to.

I will mention though, recently, while ordering parts, I noticed from an ad that Rain-X has a spray wax that you just spray on and is supposed to repel water. I know from personal experience, that the Rain-X for your windshield certainly works, and the rain is repelled off your windshield. Since I just restored an old Ariens, I am going to spray some in the chute and internal bucket area prior to snow blowing, and see what the results are. I am more curious than anything, and don't expect any great difference to be honest. But hey, you never know ?
post #3 of 6 Old 11-09-2019, 08:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 18
Fluid film is, perhaps, the best of many spray lubrication products. It can help to keep snow and ice from clinging to the housing, auger, and blades. To some extent it can also help to keep paint from chipping. Having said that, I don't think paint chipping is a major issue. I have some primer and paint I use after each season to keep the snow blower looking good.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-09-2019, 11:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 6
Iíd put checking skid and scraper bar height and maintaining proper adjustment on it throughout the year a number 1 thing on the list. As far as fluid film I canít comment as Iíve never used any products like that on my blower, to be honest on this forum is the first time Iíve ever even heard of them, are they just a silicon or wax spray or is there more to them?

Honda HSM1336i
Yamaha YS-624
Honda HS720CS
post #5 of 6 Old 11-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1170
Just Bust out the old NU-FINISH and have at it. Anyhoo, ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-09-2019, 03:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
Hello Bondzy,

I have used Fluid film for years and its a godsend for my single stage Toro snow pups as it doubles the casting distance.

The snow away stuff that they sell at the hardware and equipment dealer shops is very nasty poison. Fluid Film is made from the lanolin taken from sheep wool.

Don't hesitate to coat everything that contacts snow with either the spray using the fluid film hand pumper or a paint mitt.

Its always a good idea to carry a can of the aerosol fluid film or the pump spray can with you to recoat the chute spout and impeller as they will heat up simply due to friction and we cannot have that under any circumstances especially when attacking THE END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER and feeding the moat monster with its remains to add to their salt diet.

Now the best way to handle salted snow is to make your first pass down to the municipal plow mess AKATHE END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.

Begin clearing THE END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER a half cut at a time to avoid plugging and adding more ice to the cross auger housing as you work.

You can occasionally spray a little Fluid Film on the chute as it will be warm from friction and the snow want to build up on the chute and spout.

Taking a half cut at a time will quickly get rid of the crap and you will not load up the snow blower with ice on the cross augers which is what it will want to do.

After you feed the moat monsters with the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER you can continue clearing snow and after each pass you will be flushing that dirty rock salt out of the snow blower and any road pebbles.

By the time your done most of the salt will be flushed out the cross auger housing and if you have access to hot water all the better as you can flush it out even more.

With my snow blowers I just run the space heater until I know the metal is hot or the snow pups are all dried out.

Even the smallest kerosene fired space heater is your friend as you can warm your vehicles up in 20 minutes and have a very warm vehicle to use and the windows will have little to no ice on them.

If you have a warm place to store the snow blower great, or if you have a salamander to melt off all the crap, salt and dirt even better as you can leave it there for 20 minutes or so to drive all the moisture from the snow blower cross auger housing and the V belt area.

Last edited by leonz; 11-09-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: stuff/editing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page