Honda HS828K1 WA - Gear Oil / Marine Grease - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 12
Honda HS828K1 WA - Gear Oil / Marine Grease

Hi,

Here to ask if I can just throw some 75w-90 gear oil in the auger gearbox? If there's a specific one I should be using, please let me know asap, I would like to get it for this weekend. Snow is coming soon to the northeast, and my auger is completely out as I had to get the rust welded auger shaft out. I'll try to get some pics up.

Also I wanted to ask if I could use this water resistant marine grease as lubrication on the new auger shaft and other spots? My train of thought was that snow is wet and water resistance is good..
Set me straight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 12:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 92
Likes (Received): 305
Per @jrom, according to the shop manual: SAE 75W-90 GL-5 gear oil.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 157
Likes (Received): 126
Honda had an updated auger shaft years ago for that. It had a smaller diameter hole in it where that one broke at. They made the hole smaller to help prevent the break.
I remember installing the kits with the new shafts to prevent the breakage like you have there.
You can use 75-90 oil in the gearbox. Marine grade grease is good to use on the shaft to auger to help keep the augers from "Welding"/rusting fast to each other.
If you got the new auger shaft in a kit, it will be the updated shaft with the smaller pin hole in it, and the kit came with new seals and the blocks that attached the augers to the shafts where the shear bolts went through, and the pins that drove the mount block/adapter boss.
Amsoil 75/90 severe gear oil is the best synthetic oil to use, it is expensive oil though.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
That is the early style gear box you have. The newer style box had the mounting tabs for the box support/hanger bracket that mounted to the auger housing and gearbox.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks SilentHatch thanked for this post
Old 11-14-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi All, thanks for the feedback! Here's the picture of the new auger shaft I have; ordered from Boats.net. Also, yes this snowblower was sold new in 1994... just 3 short years after I joined this world!

I'll stick with the gear oil I have already, I don't have a picture of it but it's pretty close to what's recommended.

Picture might be flipped.. sorry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191020_163410_02.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	158947  

Last edited by SilentHatch; 11-14-2019 at 08:41 AM. Reason: adding pic
Old 11-14-2019, 09:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 699
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 1174
Likes (Received): 1163
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHatch View Post
Hi All, thanks for the feedback! Here's the picture of the new auger shaft I have; ordered from Boats.net. Also, yes this snowblower was sold new in 1994... just 3 short years after I joined this world!

I'll stick with the gear oil I have already, I don't have a picture of it but it's pretty close to what's recommended.

Picture might be flipped.. sorry
wow, you're lucky you got that brokrn shaft outta the auger. those augers look pretty good. i usually use anti-seize grease on auger shafts to prevent rust/corrosion but may try marine grease in future to see if there is any difference.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Old 11-14-2019, 09:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 699
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 1174
Likes (Received): 1163
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100A View Post
Honda had an updated auger shaft years ago for that. It had a smaller diameter hole in it where that one broke at. They made the hole smaller to help prevent the break.
I remember installing the kits with the new shafts to prevent the breakage like you have there.
You can use 75-90 oil in the gearbox. Marine grade grease is good to use on the shaft to auger to help keep the augers from "Welding"/rusting fast to each other.
If you got the new auger shaft in a kit, it will be the updated shaft with the smaller pin hole in it, and the kit came with new seals and the blocks that attached the augers to the shafts where the shear bolts went through, and the pins that drove the mount block/adapter boss.
Amsoil 75/90 severe gear oil is the best synthetic oil to use, it is expensive oil though.
i went on boats and couldn't find the kit. just the main shaft for $71 and everything else is separate . do you happen toknow which model Honda on boats has the whole kit?

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Old 11-14-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
wow, you're lucky you got that brokrn shaft outta the auger. those augers look pretty good. i usually use anti-seize grease on auger shafts to prevent rust/corrosion but may try marine grease in future to see if there is any difference.
Hahaha thanks, I'd been working to get that out since early october since I bought the blower. Left it with PB Blaster in the open end for a couple weeks, and also tried to heat with my propane torch a few times throughout. Ended up buying a ~$2.38 1/4" x 36" round steel rod at home depot on Monday and some MAPPro gas; heated the broken end for about 15 seconds, then took my 16oz hammer to the exposed end of the rod... Let's just say I beat the piss out of that rod.

Happy it's out now!

Just waiting for the new bearings, oil seals to show up and I can grease it up, fill up the gear oil and put it all back together before the snow shows up! I'm playing with fire as it's been getting chilly up here, @tabora knows very well.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Hi O.P.
That was back in the 90's we had a service bulletin that had the kit number for the shaft.
All the new shafts are now with the smaller hole in them.
It was an "Update Kit" back then. If we had a unit with a broken shaft they told us to use that kit and if we wanted to change any good shafts, we were supposed to use that kit.
I remembered it had the shaft, the gearbox seals, a gasket, the 2 smaller diameter pins with 2 cotter pins and 2 mount blocks.
I don't remember the price, that was a few years ago when we installed them. It was very rare to see that shaft broken unless somebody used the wrong "Shear bolt", then instead of the bolt breaking, it could have broke the shaft. The gears were pretty strong in those boxes then.
I will have to dig through a room full of,year/decades of old bulletins and paperwork to see if I can find the bulletin.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHatch View Post
Hi,

Here to ask if I can just throw some 75w-90 gear oil in the auger gearbox? If there's a specific one I should be using, please let me know asap, I would like to get it for this weekend. Snow is coming soon to the northeast, and my auger is completely out as I had to get the rust welded auger shaft out. I'll try to get some pics up.

Also I wanted to ask if I could use this water resistant marine grease as lubrication on the new auger shaft and other spots? My train of thought was that snow is wet and water resistance is good..
Set me straight.

I like the use of your houses' 4x4 to hold the auger so you could get that shaft out.

I'm working on a 828 as well and had to get a rusted Auger off - highly recommend getting a Tie rod separator from harbor freight pictured below. Worked perfectly for me. Just soak in PB or whatever your preference is, use a hammer to get this in-between the case and auger, then a couple taps and you should see movement. Did slight damage to the auger case cap, but took less than 10 minutes to get the auger free, and i'll just replace the cap for $5 (although it would still be fine).

Picture attached of when I got the auger free. Also a picture of the transmission case, one side of the auger shaft is cleaned up, the other still needs a little more work.

Anyway to answer your question, I did a craftsman last year and used marine grease on the auger shafts with no problem, its actually still on there now, I didn't need to add any this year. I know Lucas makes a "red and tacky" that has anti seize in it but I haven't tried it before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63519_I.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	158983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191109_230148.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	158985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191110_160005.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	158987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191110_160013.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	158989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191110_160009.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	158991  

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes SilentHatch liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in