LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-18-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 137
HS624 impressed me

I Picked up an old Tracked HS624 last year and have been waiting to use it. I have had HS724's and 928s come through in years past but they were sold before i could get them in the snow.

We got a pretty wet 7" in a storm last week and i did my driveway and the EOD and sidewalks that were more in the 10" range due to the snow plows.

the little honda was just chewing it up and i had the ground speed cranked all the way up and it wasn't bogging at all. to be honest i was thinking this performance would be more in like with a 724 or 928.

this thing would definitely outperform other 824's of other brands i have used which really surprised me for only being 6hp

Ariens ProPath 21 208cc ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Craftsman SS ???
Honda HS621 GX160 ....Honda HS624 GX160
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 699
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 1174
Likes (Received): 1163
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
I Picked up an old Tracked HS624 last year and have been waiting to use it. I have had HS724's and 928s come through in years past but they were sold before i could get them in the snow.

We got a pretty wet 7" in a storm last week and i did my driveway and the EOD and sidewalks that were more in the 10" range due to the snow plows.

the little honda was just chewing it up and i had the ground speed cranked all the way up and it wasn't bogging at all. to be honest i was thinking this performance would be more in like with a 724 or 928.

this thing would definitely outperform other 824's of other brands i have used which really surprised me for only being 6hp
this is my 624....wheeled but very powerful for a 6 with the larger bucket it can go thru almost 2 feet of snow. I have used many 828's and 928's and this 624 can keep up with the best of them.

It throws snow into the neighbors driveway.

It does NOT even have an impeller kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180116_103706_resized.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	159289  

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ST1100A liked this post
post #3 of 23 Old 11-18-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
this is my 624....wheeled but very powerful for a 6 with the larger bucket it can go thru almost 2 feet of snow. I have used many 828's and 928's and this 624 can keep up with the best of them.

yea i dont get it. its just belts and an impeller. i dont know why it feels so powerful with only 6HP

Ariens ProPath 21 208cc ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Craftsman SS ???
Honda HS621 GX160 ....Honda HS624 GX160
post #4 of 23 Old 11-18-2019, 01:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 157
Likes (Received): 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
yea i dont get it. its just belts and an impeller. i dont know why it feels so powerful with only 6HP
That's the older Honda for you, they out performed the newer models of comparable size.
Honda under-rated many of their products back then, plus they were designed back when Mr Soichiro Honda was still around. He was worried more about quality than quantity, that was when they were sold only at Authorized Honda Dealers, not the Big Box Stores.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-18-2019, 03:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post

I can see yours is the earlier model because it does not have the auger gearbox support bracket.
The wheel drive HS 624 had the taller bucket than the track drive.
Its funny that the early model HS 624 and HS 828 models didn't have the problems that the HSS 724 and HSS 928 models had.
It seems like most of the problem models are the HSS models. You hardly ever hear about people having problems with the HS models, especially the older models built before Honda started selling power equipment at the Big Box Stores.
Gee, I wonder why that could be.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Location: Brit girl from London now in the Blue Ridge Mountains
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100A View Post
It seems like most of the problem models are the HSS models. You hardly ever hear about people having problems with the HS models, especially the older models built before Honda started selling power equipment at the Big Box Stores. Gee, I wonder why that could be.
I've had Parker, my HSS724 several years now and have had no problems at all. As far as I'm aware the HSS series have not have had more problems than their predecessors, just different areas for tweaks.

You seem to say that if it's sold in a box store, Honda or otherwise, it's got to be inferior quality - and that notion has been dispelled before.

'Parker' Honda 2017 HSS724AWD
'Puffer' 2011 Toro 1 Stage
'Jen' Honda EM6500 generator
'Tilly' Honda Mantis tiller
Remember the 7 Ps - Proper Planning Preparation Prevents P Poor Performance
post #7 of 23 Old 11-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Hi Skunky, the all had the same tweeks. The older models didn't have the clogging issues that the newer models had, plus the older models didn't need all the extra tweeks that the newer ones did.
If you notice, most problems people write in with are happening to the HSS models, not the old HS models, like the 624 and 828's.
I use to work for American Honda and we knew what we were talking about when we saw Honda deciding to go the Big Box route, and watched their quality drop.
Back when Mr Soichiro Honda was alive, their quality was number 1. After he passed away, the quality dropped significantly on everything, not just power equipment. Motorcycle division took a nose dive.
We saw cheaper electrical terminals and thinner wires used in manufacture to cut costs, lesser grade raw materials used in manufacturing and many many other things happening that would make Mr Honda would roll over in his grave if he saw what was happening.
Honda first started going downhill in the mid 90's when they first went the Box Store route to gain sales. They wanted to bring the price down and that's how they did it by getting cheaper with everything.
So the dispelled notion is true, we know from first hand experience from working at Honda for decades.
Honda wouldn't like the public to know what they did and why they did it, but that was the "American Way" of doing things for money in the upper managements pockets. We saw it all too well when it happened and watched their quality and number one ranking slide downhill on many of their divisions. That was due to upper management decisions that were not very smart.
And I still do own many Honda products, Auto, Motorcycle, Generator, Lawn Tractor, Lawn Mower, Snow removal, ATV, Scooter. Like they say, "The older the better".
So I'm an "Old Timer" when it comes to Honda, I've been around their products since the early 60's.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-18-2019, 05:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkyLawnmowers View Post
I've had Parker, my HSS724 several years now and have had no problems at all. As far as I'm aware the HSS series have not have had more problems than their predecessors, just different areas for tweaks.

You seem to say that if it's sold in a box store, Honda or otherwise, it's got to be inferior quality - and that notion has been dispelled before.
Skunky, I forgot about John Deere. There were two different part sets available, one is for J.D. sold at the dealerships, the other was for the Big Box Store versions, and there were very big differences in the parts and the quality of the parts used in manufacturing.
I like some of the names you give your machinery, mine just has numbers to go with them.
We use the Honda's for the light duty snow, 2 feet or less. When the going gets tough, we break out the old Gravely's and let the "Dog Eater's" do their thing.
I will have to come up with some names for them from reading your post with the names, that's pretty good.
A couple of our Gravely's did Eat up some Ariens snowblowers and spit them out in pieces, so there's an idea for names, just have to think of something.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-18-2019, 05:15 PM

Location: Brit girl from London now in the Blue Ridge Mountains
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 81
ST1100A

Although, perhaps unusually for a girl, I've been around engines and mechanical stuff most of my adult life, I've only been around snowblowers comparitively recently (last decade) - so my learning curve is still relatively steep. That's one of the reasons I come to this forum, to learn, and I also like it because it's accepting, informative and tolerant.

So, although I am defs not any kind of snowblower boffin, I am seeing patterns emerge in people's experiences with them. One thing I've noticed is that the blocking issue of the chutes does seem to be highly dependent on a number of variable factors such as elevation, humidity, etc etc and I don't think it's possible to say with any degree of certainty that X model is less likely to clog than Y model. Certainly, the new and improved chute for the HSS series seems to have helped but beyond that, IMHO anyway, there are those very variable factors always at play.

I think your commentary on changing quality standards of Honda power equipment could also apply across a much greater swathe of product sector. I've seen similar drops of quality in other Japanese products - Nissan for example. Their Japanese built cars from the early 90s bear no resemblance to their European made siblings in later years - IMO.

I don't believe, generally, that the quality of a given product is any less in a 'big box store' - certainly not in Honda's case, anyway. Go and compare some models in a big box versus local Honda dealer and you'll see I'm right. It would not be in Honda's interest nor the big box store to do that. You can have models that have more or less features than elsewhere but that is a different thing to quality standards.

I do overall enjoy more vintage mechanical items, most of my motorcycles come from the 70s. So we have something in common. And I would like to add this - we clearly have very differing opinions on somethings but I always like how you are respectful and civil in your interchanges. I don't always get that (I'm not taking about this forum) and sometimes especially because I'm female. So I am appreciative of that.

'Parker' Honda 2017 HSS724AWD
'Puffer' 2011 Toro 1 Stage
'Jen' Honda EM6500 generator
'Tilly' Honda Mantis tiller
Remember the 7 Ps - Proper Planning Preparation Prevents P Poor Performance

Last edited by SkunkyLawnmowers; 11-18-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-18-2019, 05:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Hi Skunky, Thank you for your nice letter.
I have many female customers who are very mechanically inclined and also ride bikes which is more popular today, and you are into the older bikes, another plus.
This site is very informative on things. I've been in the industry for too long now, I should give it up and retire and do something I enjoy more,,,,Maybe I should grow marijuana,,Lol.
You are correct about quality standards changing across the board with everything.
I know John Deere had two different model sets, their own and big box. Honda cheapened up across the board and we saw it happen. Our dealership opened back in '63-'64 era so we saw a lot of changes over the years.
I could write a book on what we saw Honda do, both good and bad and from working for them.
Blue Ridge Mountains, they go pretty far, so maybe the next time I'm riding down there I will have to look you up.
Anyway, before we know it we will be bitching the grass is too long again and the blades are dull,,,I'd rather be dealing with that again,,,,and out riding again on two wheels.
P.S. if your 70's bikes were Honda, and you thought cocaine was addicting,Lol, look out, those 70's Honda motorcycles are a whole another addiction far more than anything else.

Last edited by ST1100A; 11-18-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page