LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-29-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 20
Tried out the new HS720 today

I cannot believe how great this machine is and how wrong I was about these little single stage blowers, I use to think they would be junk and useless, I could not have been more wrong, I wish I would have see the error of my ways years ago, or needed YouTube back then LOL.

Anyway while I still need a bigger blower as we get lots of hard drifting snow and need the distance to finish my clean up, this little guy saved me so much shovelling today that I am now a supporter of the small SS movement and here to tell everyone to pick one up and add it to your snow moving lineup LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1036057-619D-448F-A01D-146B1227B953.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	159905   Click image for larger version

Name:	A3D87121-82E6-4102-9944-2FEF62910149.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	159907  

Honda HSM1336i
Yamaha YS-624
Honda HS720CS
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-29-2019, 04:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 147
Wow 2 converted in the last couple days. Single stages arent as bad as some on here say. As long as the snow isnt hard and crusty or over the bucket they work well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ariens ProPath 21 208cc ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Craftsman SS ???
Honda HS621 GX160 ....Honda HS624 GX160
post #3 of 12 Old 11-29-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
Wow 2 converted in the last couple days. Single stages arent as bad as some on here say. As long as the snow isnt hard and crusty or over the bucket they work well.

I honestly didn’t think they would be as useful as they are, after watching some YouTube videos I started to think wow I could use one of those, and I now I’m kicking myself for not getting one sooner. Went with the Honda for future parts availability and accessible dealers, plus the chute controls, mine work great, Some silicone lube and smooth as silk, like not reaching over the bars to mess with it, always wind to my face when blowing so adjusting lots.

Plus they don’t take up much room so can keep it in the heated garage and go out the side door.

Honda HSM1336i
Yamaha YS-624
Honda HS720CS

Last edited by 71Dragtruck; 11-29-2019 at 04:53 PM.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-29-2019, 05:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 164
i have a toro ss and a 10hp 2 stage craftsman, both are very old and were dead but i revived them.
i use the toro most of the time for the snowfalls i get, and use the big boy for those heavy snow storms, depends on the season, but the single stage is by far easier to use and faster.......for the the right snow conditions. having both types in your arsenal is the way to go ...imho

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 11-29-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 71Dragtruck, CalgaryPT, gibbs296 liked this post
post #5 of 12 Old 11-30-2019, 01:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 84
Likes (Received): 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Dragtruck View Post
I cannot believe how great this machine is and how wrong I was about these little single stage blowers...
Welcome to the club. I discovered the same thing more than 10 years ago with my first HS520, now replaced by the HS720 Commercial.

And I too have a tracked machine like you, but mine is a Honda HSS724ACTD. I SO agree with you—both have their purposes.

What I don't have is that sweet little Yamaha you have. Great machine.

Enjoy your new single stage...I did 26 properties with mine in Calgary this week. Never missed a beat

----------------
Peter
Honda HSS724ACTD, HS520 and HS720CC.

"Perfection is an insult to the Gods."
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 71Dragtruck liked this post
post #6 of 12 Old 11-30-2019, 09:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 130
Bunch of us have been singing the praises of Honda and Toro Single Stage machines for years. Plenty of power, super nimble, and scrape to the bare pavement. If you have the storage space, there's no better snow storm preparation than having a solid 2 stage machine and a high quality single stage machine.

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296, vinnycom, 71Dragtruck liked this post
post #7 of 12 Old 11-30-2019, 04:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezn View Post
Bunch of us have been singing the praises of Honda and Toro Single Stage machines for years. Plenty of power, super nimble, and scrape to the bare pavement. If you have the storage space, there's no better snow storm preparation than having a solid 2 stage machine and a high quality single stage machine.
The only downside I have discovered to these single stage Hondas (and Toros), is that if you use them too much you can hurt the muscle group in your back right behind your shoulder blades. By too much I mean 26 properties like me—especially if you do this several times a day during heavy snow days. You also have to be careful of Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS) after extended use. Again, not an issue for your average homeowner, or even someone who kindly does his neighbours' properties and a few others. But if used for 4-6 hours multiple times a day, you need to take some precautions. Take rest breaks, wear thick/anti-vibration gloves, vary your attack position frequently, listen to your body and you will be fine.

I am cutting back to 13 properties this year, and could likely get by with just the HS720. But I intend to keep my HSS724ACTD for those few times I need the single stage or if my back is sore. It's also a dream on grass when cutting pathways through the snow on the sides of houses because of the tracks.

----------------
Peter

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Freezn liked this post
post #8 of 12 Old 11-30-2019, 04:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 130
My one and only gripe with both Toro and Honda single stage machines is the pewny wheel size. Can't help but thinking a slightly larger diameter wheel would help with overall tracking and also making pulling the machine backwards a little more manageable. Would love to experiment with larger wheels just to see if it improves the overall handling??

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve
post #9 of 12 Old 11-30-2019, 05:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezn View Post
My one and only gripe with both Toro and Honda single stage machines is the pewny wheel size. Can't help but thinking a slightly larger diameter wheel would help with overall tracking and also making pulling the machine backwards a little more manageable. Would love to experiment with larger wheels just to see if it improves the overall handling??
Ah yes...I forgot about that. Good point. We've talked about this in other posts. Personally I think it may be due to the increased weight of the 720 vs the earlier 520 version. I've had both and the 520 never did this (maybe a coincidence). I agree bigger wheels might help, but there really isn't much room to do this on the machine. I have a metal working shop and should try extending the axle and then adding larger wheels. But then the wheel would slip off the curb if you try to blow to the edge.

I've wondered if wheels w/o a tread pattern would help (no place for snow to stick in), or spraying with Fluid Film (need to try this).

However, the wheel problem for me is minor in the big picture.

----------------
Peter

post #10 of 12 Old 11-30-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Larger softer wheels would be nice for sure, one thing I’m curious to see is how long the paddles and scraper blade lasts on my driveway, it is aggregate and trowel work and eats plastic shovels, hope it doesn’t destroy them in one season.

Honda HSM1336i
Yamaha YS-624
Honda HS720CS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page