post #1 of 38 Old 12-05-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 0
Looking at Honda for my next snowblower

Hello all,

I have been an Aries owner for 15 years. I need some help to make a decision. I am looking at the HSS928AW/AWD. I have also never purchased a snowblower with tracks HSS928A. My driveway will fit 6 cars and it has a small incline. I store the machine in the shed with a 36Ē door then I have to take a sharp right to store it. Not sure itís necessary to have tracks vs wheels. Other than the traction it gives you why would I want tracks?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-06-2019, 12:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 727
Thanks (Received): 216
Likes (Given): 1389
Likes (Received): 1386
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1027 View Post
Hello all,

I have been an Aries owner for 15 years. I need some help to make a decision. I am looking at the HSS928AW/AWD. I have also never purchased a snowblower with tracks HSS928A. My driveway will fit 6 cars and it has a small incline. I store the machine in the shed with a 36Ē door then I have to take a sharp right to store it. Not sure itís necessary to have tracks vs wheels. Other than the traction it gives you why would I want tracks?
Thanks in advance
I have both. Prefer the tracked model because the wheeled model has a tendency to ride up on the snow instead of digging in like the tracked. Also depends on your incline. I have a slight incline and the wheeled model has no problem. The problem usually is packed snow on the EOD , that is end of driveway or berm left by the plow. This is where the wheeled model usually rides up.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes sjm1027 liked this post
post #3 of 38 Old 12-06-2019, 12:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 25
The tracked is a breeze to operate. Look at the platform and surface area of the tracked model compared to the wheeled. The tracked just goes thru stuff, with the new rear shock setup, you can tilt the whole machine around the more stable tracked platform. The steering clutches make turning pretty effortless

Yamaha tracked 624
Honda tracked 928
Honda Foreman 60Ē plow
post #4 of 38 Old 12-06-2019, 01:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 201
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 394
It's all about the traction & the tilt: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...87-post21.html, and as @Nanook12 said, Honda's features make their HSS tracked blowers VERY easy to use.

Last edited by tabora; 12-06-2019 at 01:10 AM.
post #5 of 38 Old 12-06-2019, 07:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 321
Likes (Received): 164
Garage
I have the wheeled HSS928 and it can take some muscle to work with it, especially at the end of driveway pile left by the plow. I regret that I did not buy the tracked model which just pushes right through. On the plus side, the wheeled model can be moved easily without starting it. I just wheel it down the hill from the shed to the heated garage the night before a snowfall.

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)

Last edited by Miles; 12-06-2019 at 08:05 PM.
post #6 of 38 Old 12-06-2019, 08:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 129
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 450
I can not comment on both, as I have only had wheeled all my life, never had any kind of "riding up" issue ???? I always use the gear for which the amount and type of snow requires with excellent results. I have many, so of course moving them around while they are off is extremely easy as well.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes sjm1027, aldfam4 liked this post
post #7 of 38 Old 12-06-2019, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 23
Iíve always had a tracked blower, have never thought to myself ďman I sure wish I had a wheeled blower this tracked unit just isnít cutting itĒ, I canít think of one reason why one would be better than tracks, and anytime I hear or read reasons people say they prefer a wheeled blower I donít agree LOL.

Honda HSM1336i
Yamaha YS-624
Honda HS720CS
post #8 of 38 Old 12-07-2019, 12:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 25
When you pull both of the steering clutch handles on the newer tracked Hondaís. It disengages the track drive and you can push it around without it running. Rolls along fairly easy. Not sure when Honda started doing that? Mine was new this Fall.

Yamaha tracked 624
Honda tracked 928
Honda Foreman 60Ē plow
post #9 of 38 Old 12-07-2019, 12:08 AM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 62
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 212
Speaking of the dig function, today was the first time I actually actively used it on a machine I built for my brother. I usually tell people not to use it as it can have the augers hit the pavement but I know on his machine I have the side mounted skid shoes that are properly adjusted so I didnt worry about the augers hitting the pavement.

The snow on his driveway was packed in due to him driving his cars on it and lets just say that the dig setting really shined as the the HS1132 kept digging in and scrapping stuff off of the pavement.

I love track machines, do not have experience with the HSS series just yet and as I am pretty happy with the HS series as it has yet to let me down, the EZ turn function sounds nice but I personally prefer the Japanese sourced bulletproof HST in the HS series compared to the Hydro-gear US sourced HST in the HSS series as it has had its issues since it was introduced.

The main issue of machine slowing down to a crawl after warming up seem to have been solved but I have my reservations as I have heard horror stories about the Hydro-gear transmissions in the lawn mower world.

Non the less, go with the track unit, do not try to move the machine on dry surface as that will put you off, the track machines are only slightly more difficult to handle in snowy conditions compared to their wheeled counterparts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, sjm1027, JayzAuto1, FLSTN liked this post
post #10 of 38 Old 12-07-2019, 02:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 134
Thanks (Received): 115
Likes (Given): 245
Likes (Received): 197
I have seen first hand too many to count Hydro-Gear transmission failures, I would not trust them at all.
The older Honda HS models used their transmission built by Honda, and they were a much much better unit.
The Hydro-Gear units would wear out the little pistons and cylinder blocks that hold the hydraulic pistons due to poor metals used in manufacture, then the machine would slow down when it got warm/hot.
I have repaired/replaced quite a few of them on various lawn and garden equipment and it is an expensive rebuild on them.
Its funny, the older HS models had no-where near the problems that the newer HSS models were having.
I would say to give the HSS model at least 10 to 20 years to prove itself against the HS model in reliability and operation plus its build and the bugs that had to be worked out of them, and to see if its Hydro-Gear can hold up to the Honda manufactured units that are still running flawlessly today at over 25 years in age.
Likes JnC liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page