LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Unread 01-24-2020, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
Carb leak after jetting change

Brand new machine I did the change, reassembled, and a couple minutes after opening the fuel valve I had fuel running down the sides of the bowl. Pulled the bowl back off, checked that the oring seal was still in place, and reassembled. This time I worked the bowl back and forth a couple times and all seemed well, but it now looks like I still have a seep.

This is such a simple mod I just don't get how it could leak??? Guessing maybe I need to push out the floor of the bowl just a bit to get a more snug fit on the upper rim against the seal? Everything sure looked clean and dry when I put the bowl back on. Hoping maybe someone else had an experience like this and could shed some light.

Last edited by TD-Max; 01-24-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Unread 01-24-2020, 01:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD-Max View Post
Brand new machine I did the change reassembled and a couple minutes after opening the fuel valve I had fuel running down the sides of the bowl. Pulled the bowl, checked that the oring seal was still in place and reassembled. This time I worked the bowl back and forth a couple times. All seemed well, but looks like I still have a seep.

This is such a simple mod I just don't get how it could leak??? Guessing maybe I need to push out the floor of the bowl just a bit to get a more snug fit on the upper rim against the seal? Everything sure looked clean and dry when I put the bowl back on. Hoping maybe someone else had an experience like this and could shed some light.
There's actually a whole thread (or several) on this somewhere, but you have to make sure the carb bowl is in the exact position it was before or the float will get hung up and it will leak. I want to say it the drain valve should be about 30 degrees off from center. I'll see if I can find the thread.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks TD-Max thanked for this post
post #3 of 25 Unread 01-24-2020, 01:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
That was quick...here you go. See post 5.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...leak-help.html
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks TD-Max thanked for this post
post #4 of 25 Unread 01-24-2020, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
Thanks, I'll check it out. Almost undoubtedly my issue I'd say. The fuel level shouldn't be at the seam normally so i'm sure this is my issue.

Haven't been overly impressed with the TQ so far on this machine, but I guess if the float level is riding high it could be running rich.

Last edited by TD-Max; 01-24-2020 at 02:55 PM.
post #5 of 25 Unread 01-24-2020, 05:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 745
Thanks (Received): 219
Likes (Given): 1476
Likes (Received): 1463
Garage
see this problem all the time. either O ring is not is slot right or the bowl is on out of position. hanging up float so overfilling. you can look at inside of bowl to see how the float should match up. when you get it right get a scribe and mark outside of bowl and carb for future reference. or paint as most shops use.

a sharpy marker will just wash off with the gas.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #6 of 25 Unread 01-24-2020, 08:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 19
I wish I could believe this theory because it could alleviate many leaking Honda float bowls symptoms - - - but I just cant! What part is hanging up on what part and how does rotating the float bowl relieve the symptoms? Keep in mind the float is being held down somehow????
post #7 of 25 Unread 01-24-2020, 08:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchriste View Post
I wish I could believe this theory because it could alleviate many leaking Honda float bowls symptoms - - - but I just cant! What part is hanging up on what part and how does rotating the float bowl relieve the symptoms? Keep in mind the float is being held down somehow????
The float bowl is asymmetric, meaning it is not the same all the way around. If it is not positioned properly so that the deepest part of the bowl is underneath where the float is, the float will be pushed up so that it cannot drop down and fuel will continue to flow even when the bowl is full.

The only thing holding the float down is gravity. Generally that's pretty reliable, but if something is holding the float up then even gravity won't hold it down.
post #8 of 25 Unread 01-24-2020, 08:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVguy View Post
The float bowl is asymmetric, meaning it is not the same all the way around. If it is not positioned properly so that the deepest part of the bowl is underneath where the float is, the float will be pushed up so that it cannot drop down and fuel will continue to flow even when the bowl is full.
When the float is pushed up then fuel flow will be cut off. I've never seen a float bowl that isn't very symmetric, from Honda or from anyone. That said, I'd love to be convinced.

Last edited by cpchriste; 01-24-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: incomplete
post #9 of 25 Unread 01-24-2020, 09:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchriste View Post
When the float is pushed up then fuel flow will be cut off. I've never seen a float bowl that isn't very symmetric, from Honda or from anyone. That said, I'd love to be convinced.
Well, I'm not gonna get out my DSLR, put on a macro lens and set up the macro flash to photograph the float bowl on my Honda generator, then edit the image in Lightroom, export to a .jpg file and upload it here just to prove SGOTI is wrong, so I'll just refer you various and sundry videos on youtube. And no, I'm not gonna do your homework for you and look it up.
post #10 of 25 Unread 01-24-2020, 09:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVguy View Post
Well, I'm not gonna get out my DSLR, put on a macro lens and set up the macro flash to photograph the float bowl on my Honda generator, then edit the image in Lightroom, export to a .jpg file and upload it here just to prove SGOTI is wrong, so I'll just refer you various and sundry videos on youtube. And no, I'm not gonna do your homework for you and look it up.
Is this close enough? Based on the picture it's supposed to go a certain way to allow the float to move without being pinched and stuck either open or closed.

To cold out for a full disassembly.Carb leak after jetting change-img_20200124_201927.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in