Honda HSS928 and Shear Pins? Are they are problem? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-13-2020, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 0
Send a message via AIM to deepsix80
Honda HSS928 and Shear Pins? Are they are problem?

I have had a Cub Cadet 3X 30” for 3 Wisconsin seasons now. The first season we had very little snow. The second season we had our normal “lots of snow” and my blower impellers kept stopping on me and I would have to clear them out in order to get started again. Towards the end of that season I called my dealer and talked to the service guy and told him what was happening and he said that the blades should not be just stopping and that the shear pins should shear first. He told me how to adjust a setting on the handle lever so that the impellers would not stop. It was just a slight adjustment. I didn’t have another snowfall to test the setting.
Now this third season, I am going through shear pins like they are candy. This last snowfall, two pins and the previous one 3 pins in one session. Admittedly, these have been heavy wet snow but I’m in Wisconsin. We have heavy wet snow a lot.

I’m in my 70’s. I need a blower that doesn’t need to be “fixed” every time I blow the snow/slush out of my driveway. It is just a pain. I’m not hitting anything either. No trees, no frozen newspapers, no rocks. Just heavy snow. I want to have something that my less mechanically inclined son or grandson can handle without trying to figure out how to replace a shear pin.

20 years ago, I had a Honda that I loved and I never knew what a shear pin was. Before that I had a piece of crap blower that I can’t remember the name and it never broke a shear pin either. I sold the Honda when we moved to a Condo. Got the new Cub when we moved to a house again and it was top rated by Consumer Reports. Ya. I know that I should have never listened to CR. They did their tests with sawdust. Should have been frozen sawdust. Idiots.

I am very close to getting a Honda HSS928 wheeled blower but I have to wonder, after spending a lot more money than I paid for the Cub, if I might just be getting another shear pin eating machine. This is probably the last blower I will be buying and my son will end up with it eventually. It has to be good for the very high price of this machine.

Any advice on the HSS928 or another snow blower that does not eat shear pins?
Thanks,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-13-2020, 10:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 29
Hi Ed, Welcome to the forum, there lots of post on here regarding Honda's, just click on those treads. I like you have never once broke a shear pin, even on my old 826 Yardman, I bought an Ariens rapidtrak pro hydro 28 this year and the thing's a beast, it throws everything and far! It wasn't cheap but I wanted something that would do it all right out of the box and it does! There are other great machines on the market also, read the forums here, it's the BEST place for honest reviews and will help you enormously with your search, it definatley helped my decesion on my purchase.
Best of luck!
Ed
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes deepsix80 liked this post
post #3 of 18 Old 02-13-2020, 10:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 747
Thanks (Received): 223
Likes (Given): 1502
Likes (Received): 1492
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix80 View Post
I have had a Cub Cadet 3X 30” for 3 Wisconsin seasons now. The first season we had very little snow. The second season we had our normal “lots of snow” and my blower impellers kept stopping on me and I would have to clear them out in order to get started again. Towards the end of that season I called my dealer and talked to the service guy and told him what was happening and he said that the blades should not be just stopping and that the shear pins should shear first. He told me how to adjust a setting on the handle lever so that the impellers would not stop. It was just a slight adjustment. I didn’t have another snowfall to test the setting.
Now this third season, I am going through shear pins like they are candy. This last snowfall, two pins and the previous one 3 pins in one session. Admittedly, these have been heavy wet snow but I’m in Wisconsin. We have heavy wet snow a lot.

I’m in my 70’s. I need a blower that doesn’t need to be “fixed” every time I blow the snow/slush out of my driveway. It is just a pain. I’m not hitting anything either. No trees, no frozen newspapers, no rocks. Just heavy snow. I want to have something that my less mechanically inclined son or grandson can handle without trying to figure out how to replace a shear pin.

20 years ago, I had a Honda that I loved and I never knew what a shear pin was. Before that I had a piece of crap blower that I can’t remember the name and it never broke a shear pin either. I sold the Honda when we moved to a Condo. Got the new Cub when we moved to a house again and it was top rated by Consumer Reports. Ya. I know that I should have never listened to CR. They did their tests with sawdust. Should have been frozen sawdust. Idiots.

I am very close to getting a Honda HSS928 wheeled blower but I have to wonder, after spending a lot more money than I paid for the Cub, if I might just be getting another shear pin eating machine. This is probably the last blower I will be buying and my son will end up with it eventually. It has to be good for the very high price of this machine.

Any advice on the HSS928 or another snow blower that does not eat shear pins?
Thanks,
Ed
the blades could be stopping for other reasons? a bearing going bad or perhaps the auger belt needing adjustment? not sure.

on older Honda's I have seen shears being broke frequently because the pins were not tight and all the banging around caused the holes to elongate . I would weld up the holes and drill new ones and so ended that problem.

All i own are Honda's and very rarely blow a pin. only when I have tried to chew up a big chunk of ice, wood , etc when they are doing their job and are supposed to break.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes deepsix80, ST1100A liked this post
post #4 of 18 Old 02-13-2020, 10:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
I have a new HSS724 and I've been breaking shear pins without hitting anything nearly every time I use the blower. Its really annoying. I wonder if it has to do with how much the bolts are tightened. Anyone have any guidelines on how to install a new shear bolt.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-13-2020, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That is not encouraging. I do not want to get a blower that the same problem for $1,000 more than I paid for the Cub Cadet.
Thanks for your reply.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-13-2020, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I don't think there is anything wrong with the Cub Cadet other than the manufacturer probably had it setup from the factory to not have it deliver full power to the blades so that most people will just have the blades stop and not complain about shear pins. When I made the adjustment to keep the blades turning, that is when the pins started shearing. My neighbors are all just not having problems. I even had a neighbor come over, when he saw I was having a tough time and he did my walk for me. Corner lot.

When I look on Amazon, there are a lot of people complaining about Cub Cadet and shear pins.
Thanks for your reply.
Ed
post #7 of 18 Old 02-13-2020, 11:49 AM

Location: Brit girl from London now in the Blue Ridge Mountains
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix80 View Post
That is not encouraging. I do not want to get a blower that the same problem for $1,000 more than I paid for the Cub Cadet.
Thanks for your reply.
I'd like to offer a balance to the other poster's comment about their HSS724.

I've used my 2017 HSS724 in varying snow conditions and have never broken a single shear bolt.

I've also had a 2016 Cub Cadet and compared to my Honda, the build quality is nowhere near as good. I thoroughly and whole heartedley recommend Honda to you and I get that you don't want to go from one problem to another - that's where I was and why I bought a Honda.

Also consider a 1 stage Honda - they are awesome little machines and $1800 cheaper than a 928

If most of your snow is under a foot, that's what I recommend you get. If I knew then what I know now I would have got a 1 stage Honda (but don't tell Parker that )

'Parker' Honda 2017 HSS724AWD
'Puffer' 2011 Toro 1 Stage
'Jen' Honda EM6500 generator
'Tilly' Honda Mantis tiller
Remember the 7 Ps - Proper Planning Preparation Prevents P Poor Performance

Last edited by SkunkyLawnmowers; 02-13-2020 at 11:54 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-13-2020, 12:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 25
Are you snowblowing gravel or a paved driveway?

I can't really give you too much advice on the new HSS series, but I have a HS series and rarely break shear pins, unless they should break (hit a rock, fallen tree branch, etc). That being said if you like wheeled models, and don't want to worry about shear pins, take a look at a high end Toro. As far as I know, they do not use shear pins, but rather use a commercial grade gearbox and claim that the engine would stall prior to doing any damage.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-13-2020, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkyLawnmowers View Post
I'd like to offer a balance to the other poster's comment about their HSS724.

I've used my 2017 HSS724 in varying snow conditions and have never broken a single shear bolt.

I've also had a 2016 Cub Cadet and compared to my Honda, the build quality is nowhere near as good. I thoroughly and whole heartedley recommend Honda to you and I get that you don't want to go from one problem to another - that's where I was and why I bought a Honda.

Also consider a 1 stage Honda - they are awesome little machines and $1800 cheaper than a 928

If most of your snow is under a foot, that's what I recommend you get. If I knew then what I know now I would have got a 1 stage Honda (but don't tell Parker that )

Thanks. Good to hear something positive. I just got done with a foot of snow and, fortunately, it was not heavy snow. Cub was fine. I would keep it if I didn't have the shear pin problems. I loved the Honda I had years ago.
I just don't understand why Honda is so far behind other brands in regards to what has come to be standard such as heated hand grips and electric start.

Thanks,
Ed
post #10 of 18 Old 02-13-2020, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchsnow View Post
Are you snowblowing gravel or a paved driveway?

I can't really give you too much advice on the new HSS series, but I have a HS series and rarely break shear pins, unless they should break (hit a rock, fallen tree branch, etc). That being said if you like wheeled models, and don't want to worry about shear pins, take a look at a high end Toro. As far as I know, they do not use shear pins, but rather use a commercial grade gearbox and claim that the engine would stall prior to doing any damage.

I've looked into the Toro. I'm just concerned that they might be setting that "stop the engine" setting too low and I would be continually having the engine quit on me because it hit some heavy snow. And Toro would determine what was heavy snow. I can see it stopping or breaking a shear pin if you hit a stone or a branch but not just heavy snow.
Thanks,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page