post #1 of 30 Old 02-15-2020, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
btm

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
HSS1332 have to run with choke pulled

Soy hss1332 is just over 3 years old. Warranty was up a month ago. Took it to Honda in November because last season it backfired and ran like crap with the choke pushed in all the way.

They told me it was likely the carb needed cleaning and it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

I ended up paying them $350 which included an oil change (I provided the oil) and installing a new jet (#108 I think, whatever you guys had recommended) and a tune-up and a good look over the machine.

They said the carb was spotless and didn't need any cleaning, and that it was running perfectly fine.

So the first few times I used it, no problems, runs great.

Now that the weather is colder, it backfires and runs like junk with the choke all the way in. What I have to do is pull the choke out maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the way when there's no load on the engine. Then as I start to clear heavy snow I push the choke all the way in, and as soon as there's no load it starts to backfire and run like ass again.

Anyone have any ideas on what could cause this? Carb is clean clean, has a new larger jet. But sure seems like there's a major lack of fuel in the cold cold weather.

Also, it ran mint for the first 2 seasons, no changes to anything. Then it just starts doing this.

I did have a mouse nest in the air box when it started, but cleaning it up never resolved anything.

Hoping this is something I can tackle myself.

Lemme know any ideas you guys may have.

Thx

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-15-2020, 09:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by btm View Post
Soy hss1332 is just over 3 years old. Warranty was up a month ago. Took it to Honda in November because last season it backfired and ran like crap with the choke pushed in all the way.

They told me it was likely the carb needed cleaning and it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

I ended up paying them $350 which included an oil change (I provided the oil) and installing a new jet (#108 I think, whatever you guys had recommended) and a tune-up and a good look over the machine.

They said the carb was spotless and didn't need any cleaning, and that it was running perfectly fine.

So the first few times I used it, no problems, runs great.

Now that the weather is colder, it backfires and runs like junk with the choke all the way in. What I have to do is pull the choke out maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the way when there's no load on the engine. Then as I start to clear heavy snow I push the choke all the way in, and as soon as there's no load it starts to backfire and run like ass again.

Anyone have any ideas on what could cause this? Carb is clean clean, has a new larger jet. But sure seems like there's a major lack of fuel in the cold cold weather.

Also, it ran mint for the first 2 seasons, no changes to anything. Then it just starts doing this.

I did have a mouse nest in the air box when it started, but cleaning it up never resolved anything.

Hoping this is something I can tackle myself.

Lemme know any ideas you guys may have.

Thx

If it runs good with a little choke and your problems go away then you need a larger jet.
But first change your spark plug..sometimes a marginal plug can cause issues as well..change the plug and give it a run

If the problem persists then it appears you are still running lean ... Old gas can also simulate a lean condition as well

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes barney liked this post
post #3 of 30 Old 02-15-2020, 11:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 762
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 1580
Likes (Received): 1664
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
If it runs good with a little choke and your problems go away then you need a larger jet.
But first change your spark plug..sometimes a marginal plug can cause issues as well..change the plug and give it a run

If the problem persists then it appears you are still running lean ... Old gas can also simulate a lean condition as well

agree on plug ....my first thought. would like to know what that plug looks like. change plug with gap in spec ( I use NGK plugs , think the dealer does also ) and see how that works.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #4 of 30 Old 02-15-2020, 12:32 PM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 69
Thanks (Received): 144
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 234
I'd like to know a bit more about the mouse nest, did any of the nest get sucked into the air intake? I recently worked on a 2013 HS928 that had a mouse nest in the air intake, you could see the gnaw marks all around on the inside of the intake and one of the air ducts. I cant help but think how some of the nest at some point got sucked into the cylinder.

A new plug may solve your issue but I'd also have the carb looked at again, may be get it cleaned using an ultrasonic cleaner, especially the tiny idle jet that most folks dont look at when cleaning the Honda carb.

If the dealer is going to charge 350 to do the carb cleaning service then it'd be WAY cheaper just to buy a brand new Honda OE carb and throw it on yourself, shouldnt take more than 10~15 minutes with a couple of basic tools.
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #5 of 30 Old 02-15-2020, 12:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 201
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 413
Likes (Received): 266
Sounds like the slow jet is clogged up a bit, and that happens very easy.
No load on the engine it has the problem because at no load it is taking its fuel from the slow jet even at higher speed.
Once there is a load on the engine, the throttle plate opens further and then it takes fuel from the main jet.
You can remove the slow jet without taking the carb apart or having to remove it, and check the little "O" ring on the slow jet for tears or missing.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr, FEF3, contender liked this post
post #6 of 30 Old 02-15-2020, 01:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 474
Likes (Received): 831
The idle jet being clogged was my thought as well, since you since to push the choke in once you start clearing snow (which would open the throttle plate, and use the main jet).

At $350 for an oil change and a jet swap (where you provided both), and a tune-up, I'd be looking to do the work myself A thorough carb cleaning (ultrasonic, ideally) might do it. How much is a new carb? An ultrasonic cleaner is much less than they charged you for the work.

So depending on how interested you are in doing the work yourself, you could buy the tools to help clean the carb. Or just buy a new carb, and keep this one, to be investigated/re-cleaned later.

Personally, I bought a good used Branson ultrasonic cleaner off eBay for under $100. I think my cleaned-carbs count stands around 8, including ones for friends. The up-front cost has been worth it for me, spread out over cleaning multiple machines. It was more than a single new carb, but has definitely saved me money over time.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ST1100A thanked for this post
post #7 of 30 Old 02-15-2020, 01:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 137
I had missed the part about the problem occuring at no load.
Low speed jet. X3

post #8 of 30 Old 02-15-2020, 02:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 762
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 1580
Likes (Received): 1664
Garage
after paying $350 I would be a little upset. I am assuming they changed the plug. I am also assuming they pulled the bowl and sediment cup and saw that was clean and said "hey no need to do anything else here"

I wonder if they pulled the idle slow jet and cleaned and inspected that little O ring???

I agree with JnC ..that mouse nest is concerning. It would be easy to pull plug , inspect that , remove muffler , turn over engine and maybe clean out compression chamber?

but just because they checked the carb doesn't mean it is totally clean. the emulsion tube and/or idle and/or pilot jet could still have clogs. hopefully you did not have old gas in this machine.

anyways, did you contact the dealer/shop and tell them that it runs like crap? maybe or they should look at it again for freakin FREE.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #9 of 30 Old 02-15-2020, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
btm

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm going to go back and see the dealer and get a full report of what they did.

I always run shell 91 v-power in it, nothing else.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner.

I do not have the service manual for this machine. I guess I'll need to buy that to tear the carb apart and clean the jets?

I'll replace the spark plug for sure if anyone know which NGK plug I should get? I'll check the ngk site and see if they list one as compatible.

Likes FEF3 liked this post
post #10 of 30 Old 02-15-2020, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
btm

Post Thanks / Like
So are there 2 jets? The main jet and an idle/low speed jet?

I recall them saying something about drilling out a secondary jet slightly larger, which sounded strange to me.

As for the mouse nest, that's what I assume caused the issue. I posted here about it last season, someone suggested a nest in the air box, and sure enough there was. I cleared it out and there was no visible damage beyond the best itself being there. No chew marks.

When I change the plug, I should be able to see into the cylinder to check for debris? Or better if I drive the muffler and have a better look?

I'm a car guy, no experience with small engines but I have no issues working on this myself.

Thx again everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page