post #1 of 12 Old 03-25-2020, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
HS80 fowling plugs

Hey all,

We have had a crazy winter here in NL, Canada and my HS80 was a champ up until about a month ago (working perfect for the past 2 years i've had it). About halfway through doing the driveway it started coughing and puffing a bit of black smoke. Finally it died so when I pulled the plug it was completely black. I took a bit of high grit sand paper and cleaned the plug and it worked just fine for another little while until it happened again. I bought a new plug thinking this was the issue and it lasted for the next storm and did the same thing. Ever since it has been doing the same thing. Fowls the plug after about 20 mins, I clean it and it runs fine for another little while. Now is a little different as it may only cough and die once while clearing the driveway and then run fine for the rest of the session until next time.

I am just looking for some direction as to where to look... Carb? Coil? I have searched the forum under HS80 and did not find anything similar to my situation as I only need to clean the plug and do not have to wait for the engine to cool.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 143
Likes (Received): 500
Are you sure the choke is fully open after starting? Sounds like it's running rich.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #3 of 12 Old 03-26-2020, 12:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 201
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 413
Likes (Received): 266
The choke or little bits of dirt/debris making its way down from the fuel tank and into the float seat, causing it to stick open a bit, raising the fuel level in the bowl, causing a momentary "Rich" condition.
Once the piece of dirt/debris dislodges the float will reseal and correct the fuel level again, then the machine will operate properly again.
Just an odd thing that can happen, I have seen it before, it is rare but can happen, or even the float needle tip going bad, or corrosion on the needle and bore that it sits in, causing it to stick open a bit and a "Rich" condition.
The choke sounds more of the problem, either sticking or out of adjustment, or the linkage is getting jammed up, check for debris there and disconnect the linkage to make sure it operates smoothly by hand.
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #4 of 12 Old 03-26-2020, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 732
Likes (Received): 258
on a hs 80 inside the carb pushed into the needle valve bore is a tiny greenish colored rubber seat for the needle valve, i've seen them crack from age ,not shut down the flow most people don't know they are in there
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ST1100A thanked for this post
post #5 of 12 Old 03-26-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the replies.

I am sure that I am physically pushing the choke over after starting however this does not mean there is not an issue as you guys have mentioned. I will take it apart when I get a chance and have a look at what was mentioned. It certainly seems like a rich condition now that it is mentioned because when it first begins to happen if the machine is dug into a mound of snow it will run fine while it is under load until the condition of the plug gets too bad I guess.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-26-2020, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update...

I took apart the carb today to have a peek and sure enough the bottom of the bowl had a considerable amount of sediment in it that was directly in the way of where the float seats. The choke linkage was perfect and operated as it should as far as I can tell, I cleaned the bowl and removed and inspected the needle/seat and it appears to be fine. I lubed all linkages and put it back together, cleaned the plug one more and ran it for about a half hour with no issues! I managed to find a bit of soft snow to pile up in front of it to blow for a few minutes to try and replicate the situation before.

This is not to say it is solved completely as I have not had to blow a driveways worth of snow with it as of yet, however, given the amount of dirt in the bowl i'd say that was the culprit.

Thanks again everybody and I will update again the next time the machine is used.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2, tabora liked this post
post #7 of 12 Old 03-27-2020, 07:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 329
Likes (Received): 362
too many eggs

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5)
1978 Ariens S16H Tractor & Plow
Likes griff_pat, Ziggy65 liked this post
post #8 of 12 Old 03-27-2020, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff_pat View Post
Update...

I took apart the carb today to have a peek and sure enough the bottom of the bowl had a considerable amount of sediment in it that was directly in the way of where the float seats. The choke linkage was perfect and operated as it should as far as I can tell, I cleaned the bowl and removed and inspected the needle/seat and it appears to be fine. I lubed all linkages and put it back together, cleaned the plug one more and ran it for about a half hour with no issues! I managed to find a bit of soft snow to pile up in front of it to blow for a few minutes to try and replicate the situation before.

This is not to say it is solved completely as I have not had to blow a driveways worth of snow with it as of yet, however, given the amount of dirt in the bowl i'd say that was the culprit.

Thanks again everybody and I will update again the next time the machine is used.
Sometimes
When you dump the bowl and clean it that leaves you with an empty carb...when you turned on the fuel it has enough flow to wash the junk off the needle.
If it does it again..just turn off the fuel and run er dry then turn the fuel back on

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

Last edited by Shovel; 03-27-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Likes ST1100A, griff_pat liked this post
post #9 of 12 Old 03-28-2020, 10:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 111
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
A large amount of dirt in the carb bowl is unusual. It must have come from the gas tank or deteriorating hoses and fittings. You may want to clean out the tank and replace the hoses now when the weather is nice, rather than wait for the cold snowy weather to do the repairs.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Likes oneboltshort liked this post
post #10 of 12 Old 03-28-2020, 03:23 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 252
Fine black sediment is rubber hose residue from when they break down, if that's what you found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in