Husqvarna ST227P Impeller Pulley Removal? - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 Old 11-26-2018, 09:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jay View Post
How do I get the auger shaft out after removing pulley. Trying to replace bent impeller. Any help would be greatly appreciated

There are a lot of ways, and sometimes you have to use a combination of all of them - unless you get lucky.

An acetylene torch with a rosebud tip to break the rust, then a big hammer/sledge.

Dripping PB Blaster through the shaft for maybe a week, and then the same hammer/sledge.

An 8-ton or so, bearing press.

You may want to look for some YouTube videos with different methods.

It is not gonna be fun, nor easy. Take your time, and say some prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 11-26-2018, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
All bolts I believe have been taken out and seems to be loose. Just will not allow shaft to move forward past the back of the bucket. No idea why it is not sliding out. The only thing I see left is the
Little pin that was in front of she shear bolts of the impeller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	740E1A51-6787-4657-97FA-29429DCBEEAA_1543287030188.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	149117   Click image for larger version

Name:	D462316E-A320-4C08-A675-075F67BBDB38_1543287060962.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	149119   Click image for larger version

Name:	70CF0AB5-EA51-4E3A-9880-931C61DF1B7A_1543287094550.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	149121  
post #23 of 37 Old 11-26-2018, 11:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Looks like the bearing had some rust. Maybe it is rusted to the bucket. Try some PB Blaster around that, and then give it some "gentle taps" trying not to bugger up any threads or mushroom the end.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GeekOnTheHill liked this post
post #24 of 37 Old 11-29-2018, 07:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Does anyone know how to replace the impeller after removing the augers from the bucket? I was able to get the shaft out of the bucket, but now the impeller will not slide back off the shaft since there is a small lip behind it. Has anyone taken an impeller off completely?

Sadly this is another another case of a bent impeller on the ST224. It's frustrating that the sheer pins didn't let go before the impeller and belt
post #25 of 37 Old 11-29-2018, 09:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBum View Post
Does anyone know how to replace the impeller after removing the augers from the bucket? I was able to get the shaft out of the bucket, but now the impeller will not slide back off the shaft since there is a small lip behind it. Has anyone taken an impeller off completely?

Sadly this is another another case of a bent impeller on the ST224. It's frustrating that the sheer pins didn't let go before the impeller and belt

Sounds like it may be rusted to the shaft - which may be why the sheer pin is not doing its job. I would hit it with a wire brush, and some sandpaper, and maybe even a file if that doesn't work. Then, some PB Blaster, and a BFH to persuade it to move.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes SnowBum liked this post
post #26 of 37 Old 11-30-2018, 07:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBum View Post

I've taken them off several times due to rock-related injuries to the impeller.

As far as I know, the little ridge develops over time and is not a design feature. I just persuade the impeller past the ridge with a mallet, and then sand, file, or grind the ridge off before installing the new impeller.

I've also persuaded impellers off shafts by holding the impeller horizontally with the rear side facing down, and gently tapping the rear end of the shaft against the cement floor of my basement; then removing the ridge before installing the new impeller.

It's never taken a whole lot of effort to remove the impeller. Possibly the problem is more rust-related than ridge-related in your case? Penetrating oil may be your friend.

You make a good point about the shear bolts not shearing. I wonder if maybe using only one on the impeller might be a workaround.

Richard
post #27 of 37 Old 01-24-2019, 06:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHsnow View Post
I have asked a couple questions in other threads, but at the suggestion of another user, I'm starting a new one with my specific question. The impeller in my Husqvarna ST227P (bought new last year) bent and now it rubs on a bolt and makes a terrible noise when engaged. I can see where it bent, but I just can't get to it. My thought is if I can remove the shaft and then the impeller I should be able to bend it back, or replace it. The thing is I can't figure out how to remove it. I found the parts diagram but I can't figure out how to remove the auger pulley. It has a nut on and it's called a "pulley screw on" so I figured I could unscrew it from the shaft but it won't budge. I didn't force it (yet) because I wasn't sure if I was missing something. The only YouTube video I can find only shows how to replace a belt. Very helpful, in general, but not with my specific issue. I also tried to remove the augers and remove the impeller that way by sliding it off the front after removing the shear pins, but there's some sort of pin on the shaft so I can't remove it.
It's very frustrating because I'm almost to where I need to be, but not quite. And I feel like I'm missing something very simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
the nut is actually welded to the pulley, and they use a red loctite on it. so when you try to remove the pulley it is almost impossible to remove by hand,i took mine to a john dealer had them remove with an impact gun! Then i i heated the loctite inside of the nut, when still warm i used a steel bore brush and got all the loctite residue out of the nut before i put it back on. Do this so you do not ruin the threads when putting it back on!
post #28 of 37 Old 02-02-2019, 11:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
these older models sound difficult. I just took a look at a new husqvarna and it has the pulley held on with a bolt, 10000 times easier to take off and service everything.
post #29 of 37 Old 02-02-2019, 12:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 29
I have also repaired a few Husqvarna and Poulan late models. I think they have found the limit to how light they can build them. They get twisted up pretty easy. Also, the key for the pulley is press formed in a collar that is then welded to the pulley. The key shears off pretty easy. The last time I checked, the pulley is nla. A buddy took the sheared pulley home and broached in a new keyway, so normal key stock could be used.
post #30 of 37 Old 02-05-2019, 02:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Joined the bent impeller party on my 227P, a rock got in there good, nothing sheared, but it bent one of the tines enough that it became a rapid fire bolt remover. Parts are on order from a place down in Miami (where it never snows, go figure). I'd already ordered a few parts but didn't realize how bad the impeller was bent until I dug into it today so I had to go back for more. At least the replacement parts are inexpensive.

Main problem I have is that I clear part of my (dirt) road with it and never adjusted the feet, so occasionally it'll pull in a rock and the rest is history. Once I get it back together I'll be adjusting those things and hopefully will avoid a repeat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page