Husqvarna ST227P Impeller Pulley Removal? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 02-04-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Husqvarna ST227P Impeller Pulley Removal?

I have asked a couple questions in other threads, but at the suggestion of another user, I'm starting a new one with my specific question. The impeller in my Husqvarna ST227P (bought new last year) bent and now it rubs on a bolt and makes a terrible noise when engaged. I can see where it bent, but I just can't get to it. My thought is if I can remove the shaft and then the impeller I should be able to bend it back, or replace it. The thing is I can't figure out how to remove it. I found the parts diagram but I can't figure out how to remove the auger pulley. It has a nut on and it's called a "pulley screw on" so I figured I could unscrew it from the shaft but it won't budge. I didn't force it (yet) because I wasn't sure if I was missing something. The only YouTube video I can find only shows how to replace a belt. Very helpful, in general, but not with my specific issue. I also tried to remove the augers and remove the impeller that way by sliding it off the front after removing the shear pins, but there's some sort of pin on the shaft so I can't remove it.
It's very frustrating because I'm almost to where I need to be, but not quite. And I feel like I'm missing something very simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-04-2017, 09:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 202
Many find that dripping or spraying PB Blaster will help to loosen up rust - assuming that you have taken off all of the necessary set screws, etc. that hold the pulley on the shaft. You may even try tapping the shaft/pulley with a hammer to vibrate it, and get the PB Blaster to penetrate better. Or, you can use a set of pickle forks as a wedge to help loosen the pulley - providing there is enough room. It may take a few days for the PB Blaster to do its thing, but it should be very helpful.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks NHsnow thanked for this post
post #3 of 37 Old 02-04-2017, 09:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 148
Likes (Given): 280
Likes (Received): 590
A Torch will Make this Easier, and Ball Joint Fork as RT suggested, along with a large hammer will pop it off in no time.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks NHsnow, LowBalance thanked for this post
post #4 of 37 Old 02-05-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Success!!! The PB Blaster did the trick. Sprayed it on, let it sit, then the auger pulley unscrewed with a little elbow grease. Got the impeller out, hammered out the bent piece, got it all back together and I'm all ready for the next big snow! Thanks for the help!
post #5 of 37 Old 02-05-2017, 07:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Fan-tastic, or is it impeller-tastic.

PB Blaster IS great stuff.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes NHsnow liked this post
post #6 of 37 Old 12-05-2017, 04:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
I have a similar issue. My impeller fins are bent and I'm getting stuck removing the pulley screw from the impeller shaft. How were you able to prevent the shaft rotation?
post #7 of 37 Old 12-19-2017, 04:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
We just purchased a Husqvarna ST 224 on Dec 3rd so this blower is brand new. Anyway, the plow truck did their usual road side clean up during this last storm and what i did not know was that a few larger size rocks were hidden in the pile at the end of my driveway and of course I hit them with the snowblower. I started noticing this rattling noise, and upon closer inspection one of the impeller blades bend back and pushed the piece so when it runs it's rubbing on the bolts. I read this thread and it sounds just like my issue, and I followed the advice on here, but I have tried alot of the PB Blaster and used my socket pushing down on the nut thats fused to the pulley wheel (part states its a screw on pulley wheel) but it won't budge... any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I'd think with it being a new blower that parts would be easier to remove, not harder... Very frustrated any help would be greatly appreciated :-) Thanks and hope you have a wonderful Christmas :-)
post #8 of 37 Old 01-03-2018, 05:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Need to Replace Impeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheonixCT View Post
I have a similar issue. My impeller fins are bent and I'm getting stuck removing the pulley screw from the impeller shaft. How were you able to prevent the shaft rotation?

So I have the same issue, bent fins on the Impeller, I have everything apart, the Impeller is on the shaft, I have removed the Shear Bolts, and I am trying to remove the Impeller, but it gets stopped, do I need to remove the pin in front of the impeller, and remove the shaft from the gearbox? or am I just not being forceful enough trying to remove it from then Pulley side of the shaft.

post #9 of 37 Old 02-03-2018, 04:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman1969 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheonixCT View Post

So I have the same issue, bent fins on the Impeller, I have everything apart, the Impeller is on the shaft, I have removed the Shear Bolts, and I am trying to remove the Impeller, but it gets stopped, do I need to remove the pin in front of the impeller, and remove the shaft from the gearbox? or am I just not being forceful enough trying to remove it from then Pulley side of the shaft.

I am having the same problem getting the pulley off. Any suggestions?
post #10 of 37 Old 02-03-2018, 05:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I'm not sure why people are having such a hard time removing parts from a practically brand new machine. I can get them off my 10 year old machines with a bit of effort. Next - why are people removing the impeller just to straighten out the fins. Can you do it while it is still on the shaft - granted, it needs to be removed from the bucket first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page