ST227P Running Blog - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 64 Old 12-31-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 43
Just visiting with new moving-in-today neighbors next door, we gave thanks to the fact that there's no snow at all on the ground here. It's headed towards a balmy 45F or so today I think. Maybe I'll go vacuum the cobwebs out of the impellers later. Last year at this time we were well on our way to a record snow year. This winter so far, nothing more than a few dustings that melted off in a day or three. As much as we all love to say how much we like playing with our snow toys, we are counting our blessings so far this season. We need the snow in the mountains for water next summer, and a chunk of the local economy depends on snow at our local ski areas and snow parks. But I'm very happy not having to shovel/plow/blow or drive in snow as we wind down the last day of 2017.

I --may-- put the cover back on the machine and put shovels away, just to see what happens. Not until a few days into the week though, after the neighbors are moved in.

Husqy ST227P for 2015 snow season.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 64 Old 12-31-2017, 04:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 108
Dr Bob and the other Husky fans: 1st of all I am enjoying the blog, a little story-tellin with the snowblowin. I am wondering what you see as the pros and cons of the Husky machines vs Airens and Toro? I am not looking to buy any in the near future, I still get by on fixing up inexpensive ones. But I never even looked at Husky until I saw some this season at my local shop (also has Toro). Just wondering what features, materials, etc you may favor on these. Thanks.
post #13 of 64 Old 01-02-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My last snowblower was 40+ years ago, and let me say that there is no real comparison. Otherwise, I've used some others in the intervening years, but haven't owned/maintained one until this one. In a nutshell, I'm hardly in a position offer comparisons with other current models. I suspect that many owners are huge fans of the ones they own, fierce defenders of their brand of choice. Ford Vs. Chevy vs. Mopar? Sure -- The best one is the one you own. Especially if it starts on demand and gets the job done.

My purchase choice was opportunity-driven. A few years ago now, we had an inconvenient early-season dump of snow that diddled with some holiday travel plans. We were already disappointed with our little private community's habits, and the lack of snow clearing was rotten icing on a bad cake, so to speak. The local stores were pretty much sold out of decent machines, so I did what many do -- search-and-click, and in less than an hour the Husky was set up for delivery. As you can read from this blog and comments in the previous related thread, everything has been fine with it so far. Last year we had record snowfall, starting with a dump that received "extra attention" to help the HOA manager gain some perspective on "proper" snow removal. Where they had merely plowed a lane and a half, all the way down to a 4" crust; meanwhile, our street was cleared edge to edge, down to pavement. But it kept snowing heavily through the rest of the season, so we kept clearing it. Others in the area noticed, and soon we had a new snow clearing contract for this winter, and dumped the incompetent and fraud-prone HOA Management company.

Fast-forward to the current snow season. There isn't any. While the areas to the north and certainly the bunch of the country towards the east of us are digging out from massive snow dumps, it's cold but bare here. The machine is ready to go, serviced and polished, cleaned, fueled up, ready to go. Snow shovels are cleaned and waxed, but not yet used. Our local economy depends on winter sports activities like downhill and cross-country skiing, so not having snow is a little tough. Mt. Bachelor ski area nearby is reporting 40" of base, enough to ski on but not enough to brag about and draw in non-local enthusiasts. Freezing fog today has everything looking spectacular. But there's no snow yet.

Good news from that is no worries about driving and folks that can't but do anyway.

I spent the afternoon working on bird feeders for mrs dr bob, repairing damage done by hungry squirrels. The back yard is a minefield of mule deer droppings, as they like to graze on the exposed grass. She won't let me hunt in the driveway -- vegetarian.

Anyway, that's the news from mount woe-be-gone. Where all the snowblowers are above average.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
post #14 of 64 Old 01-14-2018, 01:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
As I see you all are from central oregon I thought I'd say hello. I live in sunriver. Let's hope we get some snow huh. At least up in the mountains
post #15 of 64 Old 01-14-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
We are a few miles north of you in SE Bend. No snow, 50 high today, sunny and clear after barely freezing overnight. We should get some mountain snow in a few days, but today is a great day to work outside on the house. As much as I'd like to have snow to play in, I'm also thankful we don't have to drive in it. Meanwhile, the mountain s reporting a base depth less than 20% of what we had last year at this time. I'm sure your Sunriver economy is suffering even more than the Bend area with the lack of winter tourist activity.

Let's see what the rest of the week brings. Shows rain for the most part, but there's always hope that temps will drop 10 from expected and it all goes white.

Meanwhile I have a diabolical plan to go pull up all my snow stakes, drain the fuel from the machine, add a thick coat of wax and put the cover back on it. Maybe wax the suspension in the car. That should pretty much guarantee a blizzard.

Last edited by dr bob; 01-14-2018 at 01:56 PM.
post #16 of 64 Old 01-14-2018, 03:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 3
Meanwhile I have a diabolical plan to go pull up all my snow stakes, drain the fuel from the machine, add a thick coat of wax and put the cover back on it. Maybe wax the suspension in the car. That should pretty much guarantee a blizzard.[/QUOTE]

dr bob, please keep that ST227P ready to rock. My golfing buddies appreciate the somewhat mild winter we are having here in central Oregon/Bend/Redmond area. This time last year, locally, a school roof collapsed and another was damaged because of the snow load and/age or design problems.

Several residents in our community bought snow blowers at the end of last season and in fall of this year (2017) in anticipation of another taste of last winter. I used mine once this season just to get a feel of how it worked clearing the driveway (great!).

So, keep your Husky ready to go and we can all look forward to an early spring.
post #17 of 64 Old 01-15-2018, 12:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Lol. I bought a new blower this year so I feel I'm partially responsible for the mild winter we are having this year. Looks like some snow in the forecast for later this week. But ya been nice hanging out in the yard and Riding the Moto this late in the season
post #18 of 64 Old 01-16-2018, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The look-ahead for the rest of the week shows chance of a rain/snow mix late and into the weekend. It still takes an inch or two of accumulation to make it more than a push-and-scoop exercise with a shovel. Shovel is tanned, rested, waxed and ready. I left the gas in the machine and the snow stakes in the ground, and it looks like it won't take a full summer prep to get at least a little snow to play in.

Our little community golf course has trees dropped across several fairways, so no play available even if they were open. BGCC has mid-day times open, but I've been busy doing other things so the clubs are still in my locker.

Crossed fingers for some snow! Not much, just enough so we can say we had some.

*** I did clean and detail the car, including cleaning and sealing the suspension. Just in time for some rain and mix this week. That should be good for a at least few hours of flakes.

post #19 of 64 Old 01-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 3
I hear you. If you could do the suspension sealing one more time that should guarantee a snow event. On the second hand, no don't. lol.

We got in our 18 here at Eagle Crest yesterday. Today, I have to go into Bend to do some home projects at our daughter's abode.

Yes, weekend looks iffy but who knows.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dr bob liked this post
post #20 of 64 Old 02-21-2018, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Redemption from our no-snow curse!

After a few stutter-steps in the [lack of] snow situation over the last week or two, this morning there was marginally "too much" to just push off with the broom. That's my story anyway. Maybe 3" of dry powder snow, temps in the low teens when I started so no risk of it turning to mush. Machine came out anyway. I managed to clear half a dozen driveways and the couple hundred feet of our private street, plus a thousand feet of neighborhood sidewalk.

As always, the machine performed flawlessly. One click from full choke, one click up from idle speed setting. Two primer pumps after turning the fuel on. Started easily on the first pull of the rope.

My driving technique wasn't as rusty as I thought it might be after almost a year of snowblowing withdrawal.. Focus now is on maintaining only the most delicate touch on the controls whenever possible. The exercise for this is to avoid closing my hands on the handlebars as much as possible. I still need to wrap the fingers around to use the trigger steering. Otherwise it should be pretty much left hand only, and that hand needs to be just holding the drive handle down. Right hand does the other adjusting for chute direction and throw, and that once-in-a-while when I'm forced to make a right turn instead of left. The strategy still needs some polishing but I'm getting there.

I still need to come up with a better skid-shoe solution. The ones I made are either wearing too fast or are just not staying in place even when tightened pretty snug with the clamp bolts. The bolts on the right side need to be replaced where I rubbed them up against the driveway retaining wall. I -may- move up a size so I can tighten them tighter, plus a plate to distribute the clamping force on the outside may be in order. I'll take some pics when I come up with a better solution than what I have now. There's always Armorskids if I don't find a good plastic solution on my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page