ST227P Running Blog - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 64 Old 02-23-2018, 11:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 3
Well, that groundhog back east may have been somewhat correct. Managed to fire up on ST227P on Wed and Thursday am and it performed flawlessly. I too, will perfect my steering controls, etc. I do have to back up on some occasions and the slow reverse doesn't bother me. I'm not in a race. I "learned" to take may left hand off the power control to disengage the auger. I was holding and releasing the right hand control with the thought of disengaging the auger but still saw snow blowing. Quick learn, with release of the left hand control stopped the blowing action.

Possible more snow accumulation this week. Temp this morning was 1 deg here at Eagle Crest(Central Oregon)but our driveway was bare.

So the golf course remains closed, Olympics is winding down, and anticipate more uses of the Husqy before it is a wrap for the season. Happy with my purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 Old 02-26-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 43
Jesdog's "possible accumulation" prediction was good. Over the last five days or so there's been enough snow to pull the machine out a few times. I try and get out early while the snow is still fluffy light powder. Scoop shovel followed by the push broom is enough until there's more than an inch. Then I push it into rows with the boom to shovel.

In the past week I've cycled a couple gallons of fuel through the machine. I didn't look at run hours on the Hobbs but guessing four or so all in this season. The first couple uses had me down on the scraper bar by the end of each use. I adjusted my DIY skid shoes down but they were wearing too fast. Yesterday I broke down and put another pair of the Delrin shoes on, then added an hour or so more hours on them this morning. New shoes show virtually no wear, getting back to what I experienced early in the life of the first pair. They lasted two years in my use. I have two more sets in the spares box plus the new set I just put on. Meanwhile, Mobildynamics PM'd me with mention of the Armorskids he has listed in the classifieds. I may grab those just to experiment with. We have concrete paving stone driveway and walks, and the Delrin pieces have been very kind to them.

Just looked out my office window here, and see that the sun has done a stellar job of drying the remains left from this morning's snowfall and the predawn cleaning effort. Same results late last week, when some visitors for a meeting Friday asked if we had electric heating under the drive and walkways. I explained how we installed that big solar collector out there (dark-colored driveway) and it was working well. One of the guests mentioned that he'd been taking calls from irate homeowners in other parts of the neighborhood asking when -their- streets and driveways were going to get cleaned. Apparently the association has a 4" threshold before they get any clearing done. And when folks drive on the snow even at 4" raw, it gets packed and no need to plow they say; they only plow down to the hard-pack layer, not to pavement. So we have the only street in the development that's clean dry pavement this morning. Trying to set a Good Example.

Machine sputtered but didn't fire on the first pull this morning. Fired immediately on the second pull. Engine must need an overhaul...

Husqy ST227P for 2015 snow season.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
post #23 of 64 Old 02-26-2018, 03:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 3
"Machine sputtered but didn't fire on the first pull this morning. Fired immediately on the second pull. Engine must need an overhaul... ". lol.

I have used the machine 5x this season(this morning it's latest venture) having bought it new last Feb (after vowing no more shoveling the asphalt driveway for me). So after the initial prep work, new oil added, waxed and shined, it proved to be a fortuitous investment. I still have the shovel and broom handy for light duty. I'll look at the shoes at the end of this season and see what kind of wear has occurred.

I average 30-35 minutes of use per session Anyway, looks like another 2 weeks before the golf course hopefully re-opens.

Spring can arrive anytime....
post #24 of 64 Old 05-06-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
End-of-Season Update - Planetary Gearsets noises?

Spring officially arrived, so I decided it's safe to do the off-season prep on the machine before sending it off to hibernation heaven. We had absolutely no issues this season, so beyond draing the tank and carburetor and changing the oil, nothing out of the ordinary to do at this time. The spark plug comes out for a few squirts of ATF and a bit of fogging oil. The belts sill look fine, tracking true, nothing to get even a little excited about.

There is a bit of noise coming from the little planetary gear cases on the wheel-drive shaft. I don't remember them making much noise in the past, but now when I roll the machine it it's more noise than I remember. The little gear cases don't appear to be serviceable (yet...), but it would seem that a bit of grease inside would be a Good Thing. Anybody have any experience with these? They are cheap enough to replace as PM, just want to know if I just didn't notice the noises before or if others have experience with them.

A bit of cleaning and a coat of paint sealant and she'll get covered for the summer nap.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
post #25 of 64 Old 09-06-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Darn thing is still sitting on the little roller dolly, covered and waiting peacefully. It's September but still in the 80's, plus the fuel in the gas can is from last winter. It's StaBil'd but I just haven't been using enough other power equipment this year to use up that last gas. Will probably end up in one of the cars this month, and some fresh will go into the cans for a pre-season start-up sometime in the next month or so.

I really should wait until the relatively ethanol-free pump premium shows up for winter here. Maybe I'm just itchin' to make some noise in the driveway or something.

---

Over the winter we swapped in new neighbors next door on both sides. California mid-coast transplants on one side, 60'ish and he 80'ish. He started a discussion today about leveling up some of the sections of his driveway. I mentioned that it's pretty important to get that done so a snowblower will work there. Eyebrows rolled up -- We don't get any real snow here, do we? Hey, maybe we won't get much this year, you can never tell. After the previous winter and the one before that and the one before that, there's always the chance we'll be as light as last year. Tiny chance, based on history. But it could happen. I've been leveling the brick pavingstone ribbons in the shared driveway apron, so at least the last twenty feet of his will be cleared when I do mine.

Other-side neighbor just returned home after some serious lung-cancer surgery. Guessing he won't be doing a lot of shoveling or pushing this year either. He was here starting in early January, from Detroit by way of about 30 years in Florida. Enough snow to clear with the machine a couple times, but nothing serious really. He's talking about getting a push-blade for his riding mower.

Gonna be a fun season in the neighborhood. I can hardly wait!

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #26 of 64 Old 09-07-2018, 08:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 84
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 301
Likes (Received): 133
Sounds like you could be a very busy boy on a snow day. Have fun I know I do.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD

Last edited by Hanky; 09-12-2018 at 06:45 PM.
post #27 of 64 Old 09-12-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
There's still plenty of house chores to take care of prior to getting any real snow. Gutters need to be cleared of pine needles, but I usually save that for after the first serious fall rainstorm. "Fall rainstorm" of any size has yet to happen here though; All the good rain has been in other parts of the country. If that trend continues we'll be snow-free and in a serious drought condition come spring. Last night there were predictions of scattered rain possible in the local mountains, with temps at the ski area in the mid twenties overnight. I exercised the German touring car yesterday with a cruise through the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway tour that includes the ski area. I was watching clouds and temps for hail (bad on aluminum cars...) but there was nothing. Just a few clouds.

Poured the last of the last-winter stored gas can fuel into the pressure washer, so it's soon time to go get fresh stuff for the coming winter. Cans are ready, dosed with Sta-Bil, just need an excuse to carry them over to the gas station. We don't commute (lazy semi-retired white-hairs) so getting gas only happens every month or two for the "regular" cars. Temps will peak in the 60's today, and are still just above freezing over night.

I know that if I decide to finish the pre-season prep on the machine now, it won't snow until after Christmas. I may have to revert to last season's magic methods, including polishing the cars' undercarriages and waxing the suspension again. It's like "spring cleaning" on steroids, and usually lures some wet weather out into the open. I'm leaving the winter survival gear in storage for another month or so before stocking the cars for the season. Doing our little part to get some rain and snow here a bit sooner.

The machine watches out the door, hoping for some playtime soon.

Last edited by dr bob; 09-13-2018 at 08:49 PM.
post #28 of 64 Old 09-29-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
New from-California neighbor wandered over yesterday, and chuckled (laughed!) at the idea that the machine gets waxed inside and out to keep snow and ice from building up. It still looks brand new under the cover. Laugh while you can monkey-man!

----

The gutters are cleaned. Foam winter plugs will go in the basement vents in the next week or two, as we get overnights closer to freezing. The summer car is still out, and will get used until the state decides to start using deicer on the roads here. Typically that's been late November to mid-December, so there's still some touring time. If we weren't ready, it would probably snow next week.

post #29 of 64 Old 11-26-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Dismal Operator Failure

For those who have been following my spellbinding Ownership saga, I have news to report... Read on at your own risk!

We managed to get less than an inch of snow at the end of a rainy period over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. I'd been trying to induce snow for a while now by not pulling the machine out and un-hibernating it. But with a little snow dusting fused to the driveway, it was all the inspiration I needed. I put fresh fuel in it after spinning it a couple times by hand with the plug out, so it would clear any remaining ATF or fogging oil left from the spring prep. Then fuel on, two pushes on the primer bulb, just off lowest throttle position, one click from full choke. Same drill as any normal use. It usually starts on the first full compression pull on the starter handle, but this time - nothing. More pulls and more nothing. Key is in it OK. A couple more pushes on the primer pump. A couple more pulls and a couple more nothings. Check the plug wire, and it's fully seated and OK.

Then notice that the rocker is in [headslap] the "off" position. I never leave it in the off position, as it always gets run until the float bowl is empty. Switch to run, and it starts on the next pull. This time no choke, so the fuel already sucked in there will have a chance to burn. I turned the fuel off after it ran at a little above idle for a few minutes. Verified that it motates and the auger spins when appropriate levers are squeezed. All is OK now. Lesson learned though. Check the switch.

---

Cover is off, dust removed, tank is full, everything is ready. Just need snow. And a handy and obvious switch for activating the operator brain. Stand by for Season 4 episodes due to air in the next month or so.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Hanky liked this post
post #30 of 64 Old 11-26-2018, 04:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 84
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 301
Likes (Received): 133
Your not the first person to do that, or will you be the last.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page