ST227P Running Blog - Page 7 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 64 Old 03-29-2019, 03:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dr Bob, I've been watching your thread on the ST227P with interest, particularly the latter posts on lubrication of the gears. On looking at the owner's manual (115 68 34-27 Rev. 3), page 14 has this:

TRACTION DRIVE SYSTEM
DO NOT lubricate the drive components inside the snow
thrower. The sprockets, hex shafts, drive disc and friction
wheel require no lubrication. The bearings and bushings
are lifetime lubricated and require no maintenance.
CAUTION: Any lubricating of the above components
can cause contamination of the friction
wheel and damage to the drive system of your
snow thrower.

It would seem that your findings are contrary to what the manual says. I got mine in February 2018; would that have changed things vs your 2015 machine? Perhaps the mfg has learned from mistakes, improved quality control?

Another question: if I do get into checking lubrication of the planetary gear bearings, for ease of access is it ok to tilt the machine up onto the front of the bucket, or would I be asking for trouble by putting the engine 90 degrees out of horizontal and having fluids dribble out the wrong places?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 03-30-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 43
Hi Dick --

I looked at the manual recommendations for no lubrication on drive pieces in the box, and then looked at the chewed up steering shaft and the fragments of roller bearing rollers that had locked up the planetary box. Their idea of "lifetime lubrication" for the bearings was the same as "none". Maybe their "lifetime" expectancy is a lot shorter than mine for these pieces. It was a tough decision (not...) to replace the bearings, pack them with heavy grease, and reassemble. I agree that you don't want anything to contaminate the friction disk and the rubber tire on the drive wheel, so of course you'll want to use some good sense and not add globs of grease where they will get thrown around on the drive disk. The dry needle bearings were inside the planetary reduction box, three in each one. There are no seals of any kind to keep grease in the bearings or housings so this will likely turn into an annual exercise at least for me. Meanwhile, looking at the parts sheet, the rubber tire for the friction drive is about $7, so a new one came this week (finally...) with the rest of the new and spare drive parts. I'll be getting into the project in the next few weeks, as soon as spring really launches and the machine is ready to be put away for the summer.

Maybe of interest: I dropped the drive box cover for a peeky after about 4 hours of use on the greased bearings. No traces of grease on anything except the cover itself and the case flanges it fastens to, all below the drive gears. Nothing anywhere near the friction disk or the tire. The difference in noise and smoothness is pretty impressive, by the way. Having the reduction boxes working is essential, while the telltale noise reduction is icing on the cake really.

Plan is to run the video cameras when I take the box apart this time. Hopefully someone will find it useful, and save themselves the annoyance of the bearing failure over less than an ounce of synthetic CV joint grease.

Husqy ST227P for 2015 snow season.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jesdog2 thanked for this post
post #63 of 64 Old 03-30-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Carrying the "lifetime" theme a little further, the only lubricated and sealed bearings in the drive section are the two ball bearings that carry the steering shaft. You can see the bearings from the outside of the case on either side, above where the main wheel axles pass through the housing. These bearings were all but frozen up, so they were replaced with new as part of the band-aid session for the planetary units' dry needle bearings. Bearings were cheap (under $15/pr on Amazon with the needle bearings), so there's an extra set in the spares box for the time I find them even a little grumbly. They come off the shaft when the needle bearings get serviced, so easy to check and easy to just replace when needed.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
post #64 of 64 Old 04-11-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Tempting the Snow Gods (!)

Tempting the snow gods, yesterday I took the opportunity to get started on end-of-season pre-storage prep. I drained the tank and the carburetor bowl, but put off the next parts of the protocol when I saw winter storm warnings go up for the Cascades an hour north of us. I was inspired by the main forums thread here https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...reakdowns.html where I listed all the stuff I do. It wan't a big list, but it's important. Draining the fuel is pretty easy, after you remove the small bolts that hold the carburetor and muffler covers. Total time less than 10 minutes, cheap insurance against corrosion and other fuel system problems related to keeping old ethanol-laced fuel in the engine all summer and fall. It's an easy first step on the way to off-season storage. I was told by mrs dr bob that there will be no more of this kind of activity for at least another few weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page