LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 Old 10-25-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 51
ST227P Running Blog

Coming into the third snow season for our no-longer-new ST227P, I decided to give it its own thread. Previously, info was piggybacked on the https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...me-issues.html here.

Picking up where we left off last spring with storage prep, I decided yesterday to pull the cover off, blow the dust off and do the pre-season ritual stuff to it. Temps in the low 70's, seemed a perfect time to do everything, vs. on a frozen morning with inches of snow accumulating.

-- Retreated all the painted parts with paint sealant. I use a pro equivalent of Mequiars NXT 2.0 sealant, same stuff that protects the paint on the cars. It may help some with abrasion damage, but for sure it helps keep snow slush ice fro sticking. I do the impellers too.

-- Topped up the air in the tires. I'd max'd the pressure at 20 PSI in the spring, but it had drifted down to about 10 PSI over the summer. Between uses the machine sits on a little 4-wheel mover's dolly so the tires didn't "go flat" -- there's no weight on them. the dolly, incidentally, makes moving it around a LOT easier, keeps the scraper and shoes off the floor (no rust from sitting in water...), and was <$10 at the neighborhood Harbor Freight store.

-- Removed the spark plug (was finger tight) and cycled the engine a few times with the pull starter cord. This clears any remaining ATF and fogging oil from the cylinder. Plug is back in and tight, with teh wire reconnected.

-- Fill the tank with fresh treated fuel. the LCT manual for the engine recommends running the system out of fuel (fuel valve off) after each use. With treated fuel they say it's OK to leave fuel in the carburetor. Turns out that Sta-Bil is cheap enough to just dose the gas can at fill-up and never worry about it.

-- Check the oil level. It was just filled with fresh oil prior to storage in the spring, so this is a formality. Double-cautious, just in case the oil was stolen from it over the summer. Or I forgot to refill. Cheap and easy insurance. Oil level is good.

-- Drum roll... How quickly will it start? Last fall during the same effort, it started on the soft pull when I was trying to roll it up towards compression. This year it didn't. It actually took a full starting pull to bring it to life this time. Either the engine or the owner must be getting tired with age or something. Note that I've never considered using the electric-start capability. It starts so easily with the rope, why bother getting out and recoiling an extension cord for the electric start? I guess it works...

-- Let it run and warm up some, listening for funny noises, looking for leaks. None noted, so closed teh fuel shut-off, let the engine run to stall. Let it cool off, rechecked the oil level out of habit, rolled it onto its dolly, then rolled it all back to it's spot by the workbay door. Cover is folded and stored away.

I'm trying to decide if I should treat myself to a matching-orange balaclava this year. Neoprene or knit? Toughest decision so far.

Next duty: clean and wax the snow shovels.

New Husqy ST227P for 2014-15 snow season.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.

Last edited by dr bob; 10-25-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 10-26-2017, 09:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 3
dr. bob,

always a pleasure reading your informative posts. likewise, I will get my st227p ready for its maiden voyage this winter this week while the weather is nice in Redmond. Who knows, my golf buddy bought a new Troy Bilt from Lowes a few weeks ago. Maybe with our combined maidens, there will be little snow compared to last year. That will be wishful thinking. Anyway, I put a new leading edge (steel bar) on my snow shovel (Costco) that I bought in 2005, our first winter here. It looks stout and mean. I will delegate to walkways only instead of my driveway.

I'll keep posting on how the Husky performs. I followed your postings last winter and got the Harbor Freight dolly to store the unit. So easy to move.

Thanks again.
post #3 of 71 Old 11-01-2017, 12:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 5
dr bob, can I ask what size (LxW) the Harbor Freight dolly you use to set the machine on is?

We don't have Harbor Freight in Canada, but I'm about to pickup a snowblower in a couple days (Either an ST227P or ST230P it's beginning to look like), and really like the idea of setting it on the furniture dolly when not in use. Just want to make sure whatever I pickup is the right size!

Thanks in advance
post #4 of 71 Old 11-01-2017, 09:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by litteringand View Post
dr bob, can I ask what size (LxW) the Harbor Freight dolly you use to set the machine on is?

We don't have Harbor Freight in Canada, but I'm about to pickup a snowblower in a couple days (Either an ST227P or ST230P it's beginning to look like), and really like the idea of setting it on the furniture dolly when not in use. Just want to make sure whatever I pickup is the right size!

Thanks in advance
The dolly is 18"x12" for $7.99 US. a larger size is 30"x18"

The smaller size works perfectly for the ST227p.

Good Luck and welcome.

Check out other dr.bob postings.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks litteringand thanked for this post
Likes litteringand liked this post
post #5 of 71 Old 11-01-2017, 11:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesdog2 View Post
The dolly is 18"x12" for $7.99 US. a larger size is 30"x18"

The smaller size works perfectly for the ST227p.

Good Luck and welcome.

Check out other dr.bob postings.
Thank you! Not sure if he posted that info already and I missed it, but much appreciated
post #6 of 71 Old 11-03-2017, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry guys I'm a couple days behind. A neighbor's 70-ish wife had knee surgery and needed a ramp and some handrails installed before the hospital would release her to come home. That rolled into doing some emergency plumbing for them when I saw a puddle of water in the garage. While I was there assembled his new little single-stage snow-flinger that had arrived in a box on a brown truck.

Anyway... The dolly dimensions shared already are correct. I just tilt in back onto the handles, slide the dolly under the front, then a pull while holding the dolly with one foot. Leaves the tires off the floor, also the scraper and the bottom of the bucket are out of the melt-off water after use. I dosed the swivel bearings and the axles/wheels with some spray lithium grease so it all goes a little smoother. Makes the machine really easy to move around the workbay when needed. Easy one-person on and off the dolly too.

I'm sure that other sizes/brands of snowblower could use a similar dolly. It's rated for a lot more than what the ST227P weighs, so worth a shot. If I had a tracked machine this would be a day saver.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.

Last edited by dr bob; 12-21-2017 at 08:34 PM.
post #7 of 71 Old 11-03-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
For those playing along at home in the US, here's a link to the little Harbor Freight furniture dolly. 1000lb Capacity, mine isn't showing any signs of failure after a couple years of snowblower duty.

They are very regularly on coupon sale for $8.

A quick search for the same item at Canadian Tire and Princess Auto finds listings for a larger version; There's nothing matching the 12x18" Harbor Freight version. It looks like PA and CT have a lot of the same "bargain" imported pieces that H-F carries in the US. The pictures of the larger version are identical to the pictures of H-F's larger version.

Meanwhile, the carpeted 12"-wide dolly section fits nicely between the tires and under the center section. At 18" long, it ends up with the front end just behind the scraper bar, supporting the impeller barrel.

Last edited by dr bob; 11-03-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks litteringand thanked for this post
Likes litteringand liked this post
post #8 of 71 Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Second Start Up (after initial start in March 2017/brand new-then stored).

Successful Start. Fresh fuel, checked oil level from first drain/refill with Mobil 1 5w-30 after I got it new in March.

Here's a tip that maybe helpful regarding spark plug seating. After I followed dr bob's posting on hand tightening plug for storage, I removed the 4x 10mm heat shield(muffler) bolts for easier access to the plug. I just didn't want to take the chance and cross thread the plug into the head. Worked well, easy to access the plug.

Moment of truth. Turned on all systems (choke, run switch on, fuel flow, red key insert) and pulled twice. First pull, pops, second pull, started. Not bad for a novice. The ST227P is on the dolly from Harbor Freight and I checked the transmission gears and auger. All operating normally.

So hopefully, a little tip on the heat shield will help others in not having a plug cross thread. I'll post after the first use. Ha, I bought a second snow shovel for my grandsons as they were fighting over the only one they had last winter. Now they have two. No snowblower in their future until they go through some life experiences.
post #9 of 71 Old 11-04-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesdog2 View Post
Second Start Up (after initial start in March 2017/brand new-then stored).

Successful Start. Fresh fuel, checked oil level from first drain/refill with Mobil 1 5w-30 after I got it new in March.

Here's a tip that maybe helpful regarding spark plug seating. After I followed dr bob's posting on hand tightening plug for storage, I removed the 4x 10mm heat shield(muffler) bolts for easier access to the plug. I just didn't want to take the chance and cross thread the plug into the head. Worked well, easy to access the plug.

Moment of truth. Turned on all systems (choke, run switch on, fuel flow, red key insert) and pulled twice. First pull, pops, second pull, started. Not bad for a novice. The ST227P is on the dolly from Harbor Freight and I checked the transmission gears and auger. All operating normally.
That should delay winter here by at least two weeks. Snow comes earlier the times we aren't prepared.

Quote:
Ha, I bought a second snow shovel for my grandsons as they were fighting over the only one they had last winter. Now they have two. No snowblower in their future until they go through some life experiences.
Nothing like having the kids hand-shovel the EOD frozen slush pile as a critical step towards adulthood. I can remember when those piles were well over my head. Of course I was in kindergarten at the time...

----

Out today doing yard and garden prep for winter. Needles and cones... Cleaned gutters again yesterday. K was in Salem yesterday and came over the pass last evening. Clear for most of the ride, snow on the sides, road wet. It's coming. I can feel it.

post #10 of 71 Old 11-07-2017, 01:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bob View Post
For those playing along at home in the US, here's a link to the little Harbor Freight furniture dolly. 1000lb Capacity, mine isn't showing any signs of failure after a couple years of snowblower duty.

They are very regularly on coupon sale for $8.

A quick search for the same item at Canadian Tire and Princess Auto finds listings for a larger version; There's nothing matching the 12x18" Harbor Freight version. It looks like PA and CT have a lot of the same "bargain" imported pieces that H-F carries in the US. The pictures of the larger version are identical to the pictures of H-F's larger version.

Meanwhile, the carpeted 12"-wide dolly section fits nicely between the tires and under the center section. At 18" long, it ends up with the front end just behind the scraper bar, supporting the impeller barrel.
That is some *excellent* information, thank you for that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page