Husqvarna ST224 Speed Select Cable Not Working - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Husqvarna ST224 Speed Select Cable Not Working

Hi,

I was recently gifted a new ST224. I believe it was one of the ones pre-assembled at Lowe's, potentially on display. Everything seems to be in good working order except one thing: the speed select cable does nothing. Following it all the way to where it ends reveals it is not actually moving the cable at all. The first obvious solution would be to tighten it, but out of all of the cables on the machine, that is the ONLY cable without the adjuster on it. If you take a look at http://www.snowblowersatjacks.com/Im...24P-manual.pdf and go to page 18 figure 23, it is clear each cable has an adjuster. For whatever reason my speed select cable does not at all. I looked everywhere.

As it stands right now I think it's stuck in gear 1. I can manually move the piece of metal the cable is connected to, but I have to take the cover off. Since this was gifted to me about a month ago I don't know what my return options are. Should I order a new cable? Should I try exchanging it at the store?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-05-2017, 06:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 38
Garage
I guess I'd start at the Lowe's where it was originally purchased - they should have the model/serial number on file, I would think. They need to make it right for you.

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

2018 Ariens Platinum SHO Track 28
post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrago1026 View Post
Hi,

I was recently gifted a new ST224. I believe it was one of the ones pre-assembled at Lowe's, potentially on display. Since this was gifted to me about a month ago I don't know what my return options are.
Thanks!
Ser

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2017, 10:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
If you know who purchased it and if they used their credit card they can find it in their system.

If they paid cash it may be hard. You would have to know the day they purchased it or have the sales slip.

Sounds like it may be a frozen cable. The box stores do not repair anything at the store. They contract out to a local repair shop. You may have to wait a while for that to happen. I you can get them to order a new cable and put it on your self , you may be able to get running faster.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
post #5 of 7 Old 12-06-2017, 08:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
I doubt Lowes (or any big box store) would know much, other than that you purchased a machine there.

They probably don't track serial numbers. I have bought 2 snowblowers and various other yard equipment from big box stores and I don't recall them ever recording the serial number.

You may have to search out local dealer service, if you cannot figure it out. I have a Husqvarna ST224 at my summer house and can take a look at the cabling along with a few pictures, in the next few days, if that will help?

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2017, 10:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
I just re read your post and I missed that you want to exchange it. They wont exchange it for something that is easily fixable like a bad cable, spring, etc. They will want to have their local repair shop fix it. Now if a connecting rod blew threw the side of the engine, that would be different. It sound like your problem is not expensive to repair, although we don't really know what the issue it. It just sounds it.

Your best option is to see if they will order you the new part and put it on yourself. If you can take some pictures of it and are confident of the problem, see if they will do it. If you can't get that to work, you may have to leave it with them and wait about 2 weeks. I find their customer service to be pretty cooperative. I am sure this varies greatly by location.

If they want to see the machine and the part is cheap you may just want to bite the bullet and order it yourself . It removes that hassle of bringing the machine anywhere.

If you are not confident of what the problem is, you are sorta stuck leaving it with them to resolve. I am sure they will take care of it. You just will have to wait and hope you don't need the machine in the meantime.

I doubt them being able to track the serial number to who bought is going to be a deal breaker. If it is, they would have a record of that. If you have the sales slip they will not be able to argue with you. I bet you don't need it, unless it was a cash sale.

I hope this helps!

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 12-06-2017 at 10:31 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2017, 11:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 280
Likes (Received): 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrago1026 View Post
Hi,

I was recently gifted a new ST224. I believe it was one of the ones pre-assembled at Lowe's, potentially on display. Everything seems to be in good working order except one thing: the speed select cable does nothing. Following it all the way to where it ends reveals it is not actually moving the cable at all. For whatever reason my speed select cable does not at all.

Thanks!
I would put the machine into the service position and take off the bottom cover. See what's happening inside. From your description of the problem I can't figure if you cannot move the speed lever at all or if you can move the lever and nothing happens.
If the traction motion lever is miss adjusted and the rubber traction wheel inside the unit is not off of the friction wheel it will be difficult to move the speed cable\lever.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Toro-8-2-4 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page