LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-25-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 32
ST-224 Wrong Gearbox Grease

A dopey friend of mine who thinks he knows everything "did me a favor" while he was staying over for a few days and added some white lithium chassis grease to the gearbox of my ST-224 because he "thought it looked low."

The manual states to use only Ronex ED #1 grease.

Should I take the thing apart and clean it out? And where does one find Ronex ED #1 grease or a suitable alternative? No one around here has ever heard of the stuff.

He says he only used "about how much toothpaste you'd use to brush your teeth," if that means anything.

Thanks,

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-26-2018, 06:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
It's fine just leave it and don't lose any sleep over it.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks GeekOnTheHill thanked for this post
post #3 of 7 Old 10-26-2018, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
It's fine just leave it and don't lose any sleep over it.
Thanks!

Incidentally, the way I discovered this was when someone noticed that one of the dust caps on the gearbox was "missing" in this picture:

It wasn't "missing." It was just stuck into an unused hole that goes through the top of the gearbox housing (which was also greased -- he greased an empty hole) instead of into the grease port. I didn't even notice when I sprayed the fluid film all over everything and took the picture.

I'm a little curious as to why that hole is there. It's not a missing bolt because the parts diagram also shows the empty hole. I guess it's either for some mounting or attachment that my snowblower doesn't have, or it has something to do with the manufacturing process (like maybe a robotic finger goes through it on the assembly line).

Whatever the reason, it's now been greased.

Richard
post #4 of 7 Old 10-26-2018, 05:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
if it was a through hole on top it was for a support bracket for some models.
u sure could use the rubber impeller mod, u got a nice gap between the housing and impeller

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #5 of 7 Old 10-26-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
if it was a through hole on top it was for a support bracket for some models.
u sure could use the rubber impeller mod, u got a nice gap between the housing and impeller
I've thought about that. Let me ask you a question, if you don't mind.

I have a gravel driveway, and the gap between the impeller and the housing is both a blessing and a curse. Even though I have the skids set high, once in a while a piece of gravel gets stuck in there. Sometimes they can be a pain to dislodge, but usually they aren't. I either grab them with a Vise Grip or knock them out with a big screwdriver and a hammer.

On the other hand, most pieces of gravel are smaller than the gap, so they just kind of collect at the bottom until I tip the machine over and dump them out when I'm done clearing snow. I suppose they're swirling around in the housing while I'm working and then fall to the bottom when I'm done.

Would the impeller mod make things better or worse with regard to the gravel?

Thanks.

Richard
post #6 of 7 Old 10-26-2018, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
it would keep the housing clean as it would wipe /push everything through it. but watch out where ur pointing the chute as the rocks are projectiles now.

other than blowing snow farther another plus is i dont get my impeller frozen stuck to the housing anymore as the rubber keeps the housing clear of everything and i make sure its clear of snow b4 turning it off, i keep my blower outside.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks GeekOnTheHill thanked for this post
post #7 of 7 Old 10-26-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
it would keep the housing clean as it would wipe /push everything through it. but watch out where ur pointing the chute as the rocks are projectiles now.

other than blowing snow farther another plus is i dont get my impeller frozen stuck to the housing anymore as the rubber keeps the housing clear of everything and i make sure its clear of snow b4 turning it off, i keep my blower outside.
Okay, thanks. I'll give it some thought.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page