LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-03-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 51
Big Husky @ Work

Workín on a pile that accumulates from shoveling repeated, light snowfalls. Chewed it up like a hungry, ummÖ Husky.

The fuel tank strainer on this engine is a nuisance. It incorporates a rather robust flange where it seats in the fuel tank. The flange is perpendicular to the fuel tank opening. It works quite well at deflecting (splashing) fuel up and out of the tank. Minor detail but a beveled profile on this piece would have solved this in a pinch. Perhaps it can be modifiedÖ

Managed to run the beast out of petrol today after almost two hrs of run time. Not too bad as regards endurance and given the fuel capacity of the tank. A little lament though cuz I could run the old MTD for well over three hrs on a tank but then the fuel tank on the old girl held about 40 percent more than the tank on this LCT engine.

This Husky has proved to be the only redeeming part of this latest and hated round of winter.

Wounded 30-inch Mastercraft (MTD) circa 96
17 ST330P Husky
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2019, 10:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 19
Thanks for the update, and fuel filler neck critique. How do you like the front bias with regards to weight compared to your former Mastercraft? Do you find yourself "driving" it or still lifting for direction?

2014 Simplicity 1226L 1695660
2019 Ariens Professional 21 SSRC 938025 - Returned to Dealer
2008 Ariens 924DLE 921004 - Sold
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
I just learned the hard, and very wet & smelly way, about that gas tank screen last night. Horrible design. Nothing like a gas shower to get ya goin' before dinner.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2019, 08:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
fuel strainer

that fuel strainer should pull right out. It does help prevent any debris falling in the tank, but there is also a small filter on the petcock at the bottom of the tank, you should be good just pulling the strainer.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-03-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by shallowwatersailor View Post
How do you like the front bias with regards to weight compared to your former Mastercraft? Do you find yourself "driving" it or still lifting for direction?

The old Mastercraft tips the scales at 200 lbs and change Ė it is relatively light for a 10-horse, 30-inch blower. In fact, depending on conditions, Iíd frequently just pull the Mastercraft when backing as opposed to shifting into a reverse gear. The Husky weighs in at 280 lbs and much of that weight is biased forward of the axles. I canít throw it around like the Mastercraft but thatís mostly a moot point given the functionality of the steering and hydro trans on the Husky. There are a few exceptions. The junk Iím plowing through in the image is akin to EOD stuff. The Huskyís steering becomes mostly ineffective once ya get the bucket buried in it and so requires some muscle finesse to alter direction. However, the larger auger and impeller on the Husky allows me to bore through the pile in about half the time it would take me with the Mastercraft. What a beast!

Iíve got the metal skids installed on the Husky and they tend to dig in to anything but smooth concrete or asphalt. This doesnít surprise me given all the weight at the business end. As such Iíve put in an order for a set of ARMORskids. The Mastercraft was so light on the front that the OE skids lasted for 20 yrs and hundreds of hrs! I did wear them right down through the skid surface though... and then some!

17 ST330P Husky
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks shallowwatersailor thanked for this post
post #6 of 6 Old 01-03-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmand View Post
that fuel strainer should pull right out.

Indeed it does. Removes quite easily and I've done just that. All the spouts on my fuel/jerry cans have screens aka flame arrestors that are cleaned and inspected regularly. Besides, I've been pouring gas into power equipment without strainers for decades (not gonna say how many ) without a single issue that I can recall.

17 ST330P Husky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in