LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Husky 14527/Canadian Craftsman Review!

Well this summer I screwed up my shoulder in a motorcycle accident and as winter approached I was afraid of shoveling snow. I live on the west coast of Canada a couple hours above Seattle and we don't normally get tons of snow but when we do it's usually a wet mess.

Like anything else when I started looking at the idea of buying a snowblower I started researching the **** out of it over the internet and visiting every dealer that had stock. I already have a bunch of Husky power equipment and figured if they were similar to the other top tier vendors I would choose them since they hadn't let me down yet(except for during the summer when my Husky dirt bike pitched me off for no good reason).
Also the Husky dealer treats me well and parts are a couple blocks away. I looked at every brand machine I could and I was completely blown away by the wide range of quality and features from within the same price range!
I looked at a Toro, Husky, Troy-bilt, Simplicity, John Deere, Ariens, and others.
I narrowed it down between an Ariens, John Deere 1332 and the Husky 14527. I was ready to buy the Husky mainly due to brand loyalty and it seemed to have more features per dollar. At the last second I found a post on e OPE forum that said some of the sears products in Canada were actually re-branded Husqvarna products. I found that in the Craftsman line in Canada there were some crappy re-branded products selling for more money than the Husky re-branded ones. I was blown away. I ended up buying a Craftsman version of the husky 14527 and it was identical right down to the picture in the Catalog the blower was actually Orange with photo shopped stickers. The craftsman model was over $600 less than the best good-guy deal I could sqeeze out of my Husky dealer. A week later, the husky dealer called me when he was down to his last 14527(I buy at least a machine a year from him) and I reluctantly told him what I had done. He was very interested and asked me to bring it down, He went over the whole machine for me and did a PDI check and he was very impressed with my find.

Then after all this talk of the worst winter in 55 years it sat in my garage for almost two months of rain, then it hit! I know this is nothing like you guys get but we got about 12 inches over night, of really wet cement. I waited like a kid on Christmas for 6am then I fired it up. I really cant give an experienced review of how this blower performed but I was blown away. It was taking this almost unshovel-able mess and tossing it a respectable 25 ft onto my lawn.
I was able to clear two large driveways, another 120ft of road and 250ft of sidewalk faster than a neighbor could shovel 20 ft of sidewalk. Like I said before snowblowers aren't really all that common around here but for the last week I have had a steady visit of people that saw me that early morning and are running out to get one.

So far I am really happy with my machine as I learn to maneuver it and operate all these knobs ect. I have realized the operation can be a bit of an art.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, once I grew tired and wet I went to work and watched my webcam from the warm office as the rest of the neighborhood shoveled for hours!

2010 Craftsman 27"14.5 ft-lbs
Basically a Red Husky 14527
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Man, sorry to hear about your shoulder, but then, you wouldn't have had the kid on Christmas excitement over a new snowblower, and we wouldn't had gotten your outstanding review. Glad to hear your dealer was impressed. That had to make you feel pretty darn good! Thanks Zeddy.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The only thing I forgot to add was that in the heavy stuff the front end likes to lift. I was going to add or make the front weight kit. How much weight does it add?

My dealer is pretty cool, mist would turn up their nose when going to any kind of a box store.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
How big is the impeller?

Bast regards,
Butch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Engine
Engine Briggs & Stratton Endurance
Gross Torque 14.5 lb-ft
Cylinder displacement 18.61 cu.inch / 305 cm³
Drive system
Drive System Gear drive
Tyre size (rear) 16 x 7 "
Capacity
Blower type Two-stage
Working Width 27 inch / 60.96 cm
Intake Height 23 inch / 58.42 cm
Auger diameter 30.5 cm / 12 "
Impeller Diameter 12 inch
Product Features
Electric start
Power steering
Progressive Stamped Auger
Heavy Duty Auger Housing
Hand Warmers
Headlight Halogen
Remote Chute Rotation
Remote Deflector
Premium Grade Cables
Drift cutter
High Speed Impeller
Heavy Duty Skids
Weight Bar
Single Hand Interlock
Auger Ball Bearings
Deflector Extension

post #6 of 8 Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Wow! Don't get in front of that thing when it is working!
Nice machine.

Bast regards,
Butch

post #7 of 8 Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
You should not really need any wieght just try going a bit slower and pull up on the handles just a bit to keepthe nose down, mine does that sometimes and that is what I do.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, I too purchased a Husqvarna built Craftsman because the prices of the Husqvarna at the dealer were much higher. Mine is the 52993, all of the features like yours but mine has the Hydrostatic transmission, it is 27 inch with the Briggs 305 14.5 torque motor also the same as yours. I have had mine for 2 months and we have had 7 different storms ranging from 20 cm (12 inches) to over 50 cm (20 inches) When we got the 50 cm storm , the snow plow had gone by before I got outside. My hydrostatic equipped machine would go directly through the hard packed snow left by the snowplow without stopping. I am impressed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page