Husqvarna ST224?? Fill me in good or bad - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 Old 02-03-2019, 05:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I purchased an st224 locally for great price, come to find out it was an Amazon returned unit but still in the crate unfired and unassembled, I uncrated, assembled, added oil, fuel and fired right up......literally used just twice that season......I was SO disappointed with the poly skids I searched and found armorskids , this simple mod was a night and day change in ease of operation and -0- jarring stops from sidewalk cracks etc. The st224 easily cleared my 3 wide x 50 ft drive. Handwarmers not even close to impressive as say snowmobile handwarmers . It handles well considering solid axle and armorskids, great traction. Threw snow as expected and where I wanted it to go, additionally I clear a spot in the backyard for the dogs, no problem. Are there better machines sure, but not for the same $$$ . I sold it Nov 2018 in perfect condition for what I had into it, only because I ran into a used toro 826 oxe hd for only $400 whaaaaaaat....yep. Orange was flawless for me but red is a completely different level. checkout consumer reports or movingsnow.com for more info. Good Luck

NWI Busted Knuckle (Garage)
Installing ArmorSkids has been the best mod made to any of my machines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 Old 02-03-2019, 05:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 243
Likes (Received): 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Owned my Husqvarna ST224 for two years and the unit failed, no guarantee, I had to get rid of it to a lawn equipment dealer. The unit just no longer worked, a lawn expert, tried every solution, but the unit just no longer would run. Never buy the ST224 at Lowes, they will not repair it and they will not guarantee this model.

Please define "failed" and include pics if need be.

Maybe the machine is defective

But maybe it is inoperable due to operator error, lack of maintenance, or both

Until you do this you're just bashing the machine unfairly here and not helping anybody

Fill us in.

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #13 of 42 Old 02-03-2019, 06:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 120
Quote:
Owned my Husqvarna ST224 for two years and the unit failed, no guarantee, I had to get rid of it to a lawn equipment dealer.
I have to agree with tdipaul on this. What, exactly, does "failed" mean? It won't start? The engine fell off or exploded into tiny pieces? The snowblower turned to dust or evaporated into thin air?

You're trashing the brand but give no reason to.
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #14 of 42 Old 02-04-2019, 03:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midskier View Post
I purchased an st224 locally for great price, come to find out it was an Amazon returned unit but still in the crate unfired and unassembled...

How does an Amazon return become a product for local dealer?

Wounded 30-inch Mastercraft (MTD) circa 96
17 ST330P Husky
post #15 of 42 Old 02-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 302
Likes (Received): 133
I have been using a ST 224P for 3 winters and had no problems. No snow this winter so have not used it yet. The only thing I do not like is the single speed in reverse. way to slow

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #16 of 42 Old 02-04-2019, 12:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 243
Likes (Received): 285
I PM'd [email protected] with the same verbiage in my post above

Hopefully he responds with some good info.

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
post #17 of 42 Old 02-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky78 View Post
Hello,

I was at lowes today and saw this 24" Husky on display. I got to say it looked nice. The tires were large, controls worked well, same LCT 208 CC engine the Ariens has, 5 year warranty, etc. Not that I would ever buy from the big box store but It made me think I should go to a dealer and find out more. I did a little looking online and it sounds like they reworked these models last year and the reviews I saw are positive. I also found reviews for their olderr models that were not impressive. Never owned a Husky, Toro or Ariens product. I have owned MTD equipment before and I have experrienced junk before, not looking to go there again. But looking at this thing with no bias negative or positive it looked very good. Thanks again for the help....JB
I bought a 224P (the P means it has steering) after a lot of research. It has features I was looking for (24Ē, two-stage, well laid out controls, steering, heated grips, headlights, electric start) and was highly rated by CR. Iíve used it several times and am on the whole happy with it. My model has a couple design points that are different from other Husqvarna models I have seen online and in stores (see below) and I donít know if itís older or newer than the others.

On the Positive side:
+ starts every time with a single or second pull (Iíve never had to use the electric start)
+ itís powerful and throws snow a long way
+ compact size
+ easy to maneuver ó the steering controls work well and are very helpful.
+ the controls Ďdeckí is well laid out and works well (except see below re auger drive interlock).

On the negative side:
- my model does not have an oil filler tube; you have to fill it thru the dipstick holder on either side of the engine (there are two). (Iíve seen other models with a vertical oil filler tube.)
- my model has no oil drain port; you have to drain the oil by sucking it up from either of the dipstick ports. (Iíve seen other models with a drain port at the back of the engine.)
- the auger drive control has on occasion stuck in ON, even if the machineís drive is not engaged. (I think the interlock mechanism that lets you keep the auger spinning when the drive is engaged seems to be too tenacious.)
- the single reverse gear is annoyingly slow (probably specíd by a lawyer). Itís useful, tho, in certain circumstances, but just not as effective as it could be.

On the ďMehĒ side:
* I cannot detect any heat in the hand grips (and I donít really care).
* I canít say Iíve made use of the headlights, but their time may come!

On the whole, I would recommend it, especially the P version.
post #18 of 42 Old 02-04-2019, 11:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 49
Quote:
- my model has no oil drain port; you have to drain the oil by sucking it up from either of the dipstick ports. (I’ve seen other models with a drain port at the back of the engine.)

That's odd. The engine section of the parts list for the ST224P shows the drains tube at the rear. There's also a drain plug on the left side.

https://www.husqvarna.com/ddocdownlo...49_2018-03.pdf

Wounded 30-inch Mastercraft (MTD) circa 96
17 ST330P Husky

Last edited by SnowH8ter; 02-04-2019 at 11:33 PM.
post #19 of 42 Old 02-04-2019, 11:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 34
the husqvarnas are junk. everything is controlled by cheap thin cables, the metal is thin and flimsy, the newer ones have entirely plastic dashboards that crack, and most pg them rattle like mad even new from the box because they are so flimsy
Likes ST1100A liked this post
post #20 of 42 Old 02-05-2019, 07:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arienskids View Post
the husqvarnas are junk. everything is controlled by cheap thin cables, the metal is thin and flimsy, the newer ones have entirely plastic dashboards that crack, and most pg them rattle like mad even new from the box because they are so flimsy
Judging by your nickname, you're probably biased towards Ariens and think that everything else is junk… Not everyone can afford a Honda or Ariens you know…

Claude.

2014 HUSQVARNA ST327T
2004 MURRAY BRUTE 10HP 29"
1975 LAWN BOY 8HP 26"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page