Husqvarna ST224?? Fill me in good or bad - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 Old 02-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

- the single reverse gear is annoyingly slow (probably specíd by a lawyer). Itís useful, tho, in certain circumstances, but just not as effective as it could be.
On most machines, you can increase your reverse speed somewhat by adjusting the drive control (gear select) mechanism. If you adjust it so that the forward speeds are all a little slower, this should speed up reverse.

I did this on mine (different brand) to slow down Forward 1, to make it better for creeping into snowbanks. Getting a quicker reverse was a nice side-benefit.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 02-05-2019, 02:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by arienskids View Post
the husqvarnas are junk. everything is controlled by cheap thin cables, the metal is thin and flimsy, the newer ones have entirely plastic dashboards that crack, and most pg them rattle like mad even new from the box because they are so flimsy

If you get a chance, take look at the 300 Series Husqvarna snowblower line.

You won't find them at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Husqvarna ST 324P
post #23 of 42 Old 02-05-2019, 05:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCat in Bend View Post
If you get a chance, take look at the 300 Series Husqvarna snowblower line.

You won't find them at Home Depot or Lowe's.
Yep!… My favorite model is the ST 330T … I could say that it's my "dream machine"!.

Claude.

2014 HUSQVARNA ST327T
2004 MURRAY BRUTE 10HP 29"
1975 LAWN BOY 8HP 26"

Last edited by toofastforyou; 02-05-2019 at 08:57 PM.
post #24 of 42 Old 02-06-2019, 12:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
Yep!Ö My favorite model is the ST 330T Ö I could say that it's my "dream machine"!

Was chatting with a Husky dealer to the south a few weeks ago. He had a two-year-old (new) 330T on sale. It had been updated to fix the issues that had plagued this model. He claimed that Husqvarna was going to be re-releasing an improved 330T later this year or next. We shall see!

Wounded 30-inch Mastercraft (MTD) circa 96
17 ST330P Husky
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks [email protected] thanked for this post
Likes [email protected] liked this post
post #25 of 42 Old 02-10-2019, 03:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 3
Hi! Great forum. Used as I researched a replacement for my 35 year old Ariens that I windowed the block on. So 1st post for me:

Just picked a Husky ST224 from Lowes. They did not have a display model -- so I found some of this out after assembling. In addition to the below from a prior post, I have no separate "on/off" switch. The only way to turn unit off is by using plastic key. I'll probably wire in a kill switch. So as it sits today, this and the lack of an extended rear drain port are inconsistent with even the 360/expanded views you can find at the Lowes site. The lack of a separate switch is also inconsistent with what the paper and online manuals illustrate. Not really something worth returning, however still a bit disappointing for a $800.00 unit. Overall I like it --- If you are ready to accept the simple truth that there is no way anything on the market today is near the quality of the past. Maybe Honda, however for me -- not willing to pay the premium. I elected this one over the Craftsman 600 and Troy-Bilt 2460. For me the metal chute and top controls swayed me. Worth a $200 premium? To each their own I guess.

The below prior posted experiences hold true for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
-edited

On the Positive side:
+ starts every time with a single or second pull
+ it’s powerful and throws snow a long way
+ compact size
+ easy to maneuver — the steering controls work well and are very helpful.
+ the controls ‘deck’ is well laid out and works well

On the negative side:
- my model does not have an oil filler tube; you have to fill it thru the dipstick holder on either side of the engine (there are two). (I’ve seen other models with a vertical oil filler tube.)
- my model has no oil drain port; you have to drain the oil by sucking it up from either of the dipstick ports. (I’ve seen other models with a drain port at the back of the engine.)
- the single reverse gear is annoyingly slow

On the “Meh” side:
* I cannot detect any heat in the hand grips (and I don’t really care).
* I can’t say I’ve made use of the headlights, but their time may come!
Hope this helps someone as this forum as a whole helped me!

Last edited by jhix; 02-10-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: gramar
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes [email protected] liked this post
post #26 of 42 Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhix View Post
Just picked a Husky ST224 from Lowes. They did not have a display model -- so I found some of this out after assembling. In addition to the below from a prior post, I have no separate "on/off" switch. The only way to turn unit off is by using plastic key. I'll probably wire in a kill switch. So as it sits today, this and the lack of an extended rear drain port are inconsistent with even the 360/expanded views you can find at the Lowes site. The lack of a separate switch is also inconsistent with what the paper and online manuals illustrate. Not really something worth returning, however still a bit disappointing for a $800.00 unit.

Disappointing? I think ya understated that. I'd be livid if a retailer (Big Box or otherwise) sold me a product that they've clearly misrepresented via their advertising (no on/off switch, no oil drain tube, no oil filler tube)! Just a WAG but I suspect that these BB retailers have made a deal with the manufacturer to supply them with watered down product that they then offer as an equivalent to that which is sold at a dedicated product retailer. And they'll probably keep doing it unless the consumer takes the product back and instructs the retailer to park it where the sun don't shine! Wiring in an on/off switch is no biggy, but having to perform that on a new machine that was supposed to have an on/off switch to begin with, and empties yer pockets of nearly a grand ($)... I don't get it.

17 ST330P Husky
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GeekOnTheHill, ST1100A liked this post
post #27 of 42 Old 02-11-2019, 04:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Post Definitely confusing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowH8ter View Post
That's odd. The engine section of the parts list for the ST224P shows the drains tube at the rear. There's also a drain plug on the left side.

https://www.husqvarna.com/ddocdownlo...49_2018-03.pdf
Thatís the exact same document I have and the correct product number, but my actual machine does not have either of the components shown in the parts list as 47 (oil fill tube) and 55 (oil drain tube). I took photos at a Loweís of other versions of the 224, which do have these two parts. I attach a couple of photos of my unit that shows the absence of the drain tube. (I donít have a photo of the back of my machine to show the absence of the oil fill tube.)

(I also donít have an On/Off switch - part 21? - and have to pull the key out to stop the engine.)

Pretty sketchy to distribute variations of a product with no up-front indication of missing design elements, imho.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9DC993E-2727-4E23-AA7C-DC2DB794DDCB.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	153357   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF285A7A-C84B-4CFD-A856-64AFAA912B0F.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	153359   Click image for larger version

Name:	92B0C55A-FCFF-4E6C-9EE3-321C146E474E.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	153361   Click image for larger version

Name:	D59E56F1-158B-45F1-A5AF-A4116C5D0EA4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	153363   Click image for larger version

Name:	2538D434-56F6-428C-B3CA-92AA68C93C2D.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	153365  

post #28 of 42 Old 02-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
https://www.husqvarna.com/ddocdownlo...49_2018-03.pdf[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
On most machines, you can increase your reverse speed somewhat by adjusting the drive control (gear select) mechanism. If you adjust it so that the forward speeds are all a little slower, this should speed up reverse.

I did this on mine (different brand) to slow down Forward 1, to make it better for creeping into snowbanks. Getting a quicker reverse was a nice side-benefit.
That sounds like a worthwhile adjustment to make ... I’ll take a look in the manual to locate the gear select mechanism. Cheers!

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-11-2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Ref to second quote only
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks HooDude thanked for this post
post #29 of 42 Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 3
Received a response from husky customer care. Not sure what is meant by "new frame design". Yes. I understated my dissatisfaction... Buyer beware/Caveat Emptor is a requirement these days. Trust no one. Pretty sad. Planning to install the drain tube referenced on the side/near wheel. I think it'll work there. Otherwise will end up just pump/vac it out.

[email protected]

Husqvarna: Product issue

Response By Email (Jared) (02/11/2019 04:14 PM)
The new engines that come on these unit do not come with the toggle stop switch or the drain tube. I will be unable to send you the switch as this unit was designed to turn off and on with the key. As for the oil drain tube, the tubes were removed because part of the new frame design interfered with the tube's location. I will ship a new tube out to you but I will not be able to guarantee that it will fit your unit.

You can expect the drain tube in about 3-5 business days.

Thank you,
Jared W
Husqvarna Customer Care
Customer By CSS Web (John xxx) (02/10/2019 12:51 PM)
Hello -

I purchased a ST224 from Lowe's this weekend. There was no display, so I purchased primarily from what I reviewed on line.

Upon unboxing I discovered that my snowblower does NOT have a "run/stop" "on/off" (P/N 532424957) switch on the motor. This switch is referenced in the quick start/feature guide as well as manual. There is also not an Extended Oil Drain tube on the motor (P/N 532432686). Please consider sending me these parts along with the proper cover assembly (P/N 532436561). It's also a shame you've eliminated the oil dipstick tube from this model.
post #30 of 42 Old 02-11-2019, 11:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhix View Post
The new engines that come on these unit do not come with the toggle stop switch or the drain tube. I will be unable to send you the switch as this unit was designed to turn off and on with the key. As for the oil drain tube, the tubes were removed because part of the new frame design interfered with the tube's location. I will ship a new tube out to you but I will not be able to guarantee that it will fit your unit.

So what's different about the frame that would preclude installation of the oil drain tube? And why would they send it to you if it won't fit?

Apparently some LCT snow engines come with something they call an "optional combined engine run/stop and safety key switch." Is that what you have?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CombinedKey.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	153397  

17 ST330P Husky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page