LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-29-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
Question 200 vs 300 vs older series

i have been following all the posts here and have some questions. Correct me if I'm wrong but the older series pre 2014 were a lighter duty machine that had either some design or quality issues. From the sounds of it the 200 series was a good first year, sounds like they had a few manufacturing glitches but should be a good unit this year. Also I have been reading all the posts about the 300 series and if the machine is that much better (sounds like it is) I'm fine paying the money for the better unit. I see the warranty on these units are great, the motors are the same Ariens uses so no real issues expected one over the other there. The hydro transmission is a hydro gear sst and looking at the new Honda HSS724AW they have the exact same hydro gear. I found it looking up Honda parts they are the same, look it up, if you Honda guys are in disbelief,I was shocked . With that said the 300 series look to be a solid machine. The motor is solid, the hydro is solid, the cast iron gear case and case iron impeller have a 10 year warranty. So I'm trying to understand why this machine isn't wildly popular being $1,000 less than a Honda. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Ducky; 10-04-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes WeldyWeldyFace liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-30-2015, 05:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 10
Thumbs up

I'm with you on this Duck, the Husqvarna has a lot going for it in my opinion.
Lct engine, good track record, same as Ariens engine 5 year warranty 2 years better than Ariens. The Hydro, I looked it up and your correct, the Honda HSS models use the same Hydro Gear unit the Husqvarna does, that make me even happier with my purchase. The gear case is cast iron with a 10 year warranty, double anyone else's warranty. The impeller is cast iron, the only machine with a cast impeller instead of sheet metal. It has a 10 year warranty also. It also is a 4 blade instead of a 3 blade like others. However the Ariens machines use a 14" diameter unit vs this being a 12" but with another blade (shovel) it should perform at the same level as the Ariens. The other advantage is rotating mass. It is heavy so once turning at speed it should carry more momentum and give the engine more torque. It has covered ball bearings on the first stage auger and the auger looks more aggressive than anyone else's. I am biased because I just got this machine. I read your other posts. I see your looking at basically the same machines I did. I think any will do the job. If I didn't go Husqvarna I would have done the Toro, I think it's a solid machine, plastic works great, hope it holds up, it must because I don't see people with issues. The auto turn on the Ariens in my opinion after using my neighbors is their only problem. His is a pain, turns when you don't want it to, then your stuck with one wheel drive. Not for me but there's a lot of them out there so use your best judgement. I have not run my machine so I don't really know how it will do. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by Sparky78; 09-30-2015 at 05:48 AM.
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #3 of 15 Old 10-03-2015, 09:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 5
It is MOPAR or no-car for me, but I know other brands are fine vehicles also. Same with snowblowers. I buy Husqvarna, GT tractor, snowblower, chainsaws,roto-tiller,leaf blowers,etc. you get the picture. Have always been happy with the products or I wouldn't buy them. Everyone has their opinions and that is awesome, this is America! Please just don't tell me that my stuff is junk, because I can prove otherwise!![lol] If this sounds like some ornry rant it's not. This forum is great and peoples experience and opinions help others. Just have to decide what is right for you. Do your homework, check out the forum, and get your wallet out!!!
Likes VorJoshigan liked this post
post #4 of 15 Old 10-03-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmag View Post
It is MOPAR or no-car for me, but I know other brands are fine vehicles also. Same with snowblowers. I buy Husqvarna, GT tractor, snowblower, chainsaws,roto-tiller,leaf blowers,etc. you get the picture. Have always been happy with the products or I wouldn't buy them. Everyone has their opinions and that is awesome, this is America! Please just don't tell me that my stuff is junk, because I can prove otherwise!![lol] If this sounds like some ornry rant it's not. This forum is great and peoples experience and opinions help others. Just have to decide what is right for you. Do your homework, check out the forum, and get your wallet out!!!
Hi maxmag, I understand what your saying. I used to be the same way. I have just come to belive at some level they all could improve. I don't feel a Husqvarna is a bad rig or I spoke poor of it. I am looking at them and may own one if I can ever find one. That has me more worried than anything, I have see the Powermax HD and the Platinum machines. Never a 300 series. Maybe I should take the hint. But I own a ram 2500 with a Cummins. Not because they sell the most, I feel the motor is the best option. Either way I am trying to get this purchase done in the next few weeks.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-04-2015, 06:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 348
Likes (Received): 161
I'm not surprised at all about hydro as [email protected] mentioned that Honda had sourced out a US supplier for it. I think Sparky78 made an excellent choice in machines and I think that it's the best of both worlds, a quality machine and a bargain price.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #6 of 15 Old 10-04-2015, 08:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 578
so are you going to purchase a 300 series husy ducky

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #7 of 15 Old 10-04-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
so are you going to purchase a 300 series husy ducky
Still waffling back and forth. It changes minute to minute. Going out next weekend to look. I'm so confused at this point I may get a nice shovel. I way overthink these decisions. My wife made the comment yesterday if you don't make a decision soon she would leave me. Obviously joking but she tends to be a reality check for me. When I look at the Ariens I liked it, auto turn scares me however. When I look at the Toro I like it, but the plastic scares me. When I look at the Husqvarna it looks great on paper but I can't find one to look at. That bothers me, let's me know no one uses that machine. So how about that! Nothing solved. More questions. I seriously hope to have made a decision next week. Stay tuned
post #8 of 15 Old 10-04-2015, 10:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 5
Ducky, I bet you will have a blast with which ever one you choose. I used to use my atv with a plow. Snow blower is WAY more fun.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-04-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was at Lowes today getting a few things and swung thru the snowblowers. They have the ST224 on sale for $699.00. Open a Lowes card and get another 10 percent off or like me if you have one take another 5 percent off. That's now down to either $629.10 or $664.05. Tempting. Don't think I will do it but that seams like a very good number on those units. Plus Husqvarna has a $50 dollar mail in rebate on this machine. Now your down to $579.10 or $614.05 depending on if you are getting a new Lowes card. If you want a 224 this is probably as good as it gets.

Last edited by Ducky; 10-04-2015 at 11:32 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-05-2015, 05:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 578
are you over near the west coast of michigan

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page