Your thoughts on the fuel shut off - ST224 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 19
Your thoughts on the fuel shut off - ST224

I got a question for you guys that are familiar with the fuel control on these LCT engines.

Earlier on in the day my neighbour was asking about my new snowblower so I was showing him the starting procedure where you have to open the fuel valve, put the key in, etc. etc. but I didn't start it. What I didn't do when we were done is turn the fuel off. A couple of hours later I went out to show my wife the new machine (she was away and hadn't seen it yet). This time I started it but noticed a few drips of gas right after I had pushed the primer bulb.

So my question to you guys is does the fuel HAVE to be turned off each time the engine is shut down, or is the valve just there for maintenance purposes, or storage, or some kind of redundant safety feature like the key? I know the manual says to shut it off as it does in my Honda mower manual but I've never shut the fuel off in the 25 years I've owned it and never had a leak. This is the first snow blower I've owned that had a primer bulb so I'm wondering if leaving the gas on and pressing the primer would cause gas to drip from some where. It only dripped a few times right after pressing the bulb and didn't drip while the engine was running.

I don't want to take it in to the dealer if it was just user error. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 07:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 54
It's there to run the carb dry.

You're over-priming it, hence the fuel drip
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks BullFrog thanked for this post
post #3 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 07:20 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 582
Garage
very normal to see a drip or two of fuel after priming, but i would make shutting off the fuel valve after use a to do thing. jmo
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks BullFrog, Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #4 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 07:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 166
The only time I use the fuel shut off on my LCT engine is when I am traveling with the unit and during off season storage as another member above stated: to close the fuel line then run the carb dry.

With this engine you shouldn't have to press the primer bulb more than 3X when starting a cold engine. If fuel is leaking after just 3X's I would have the dealer look at it. If you are pressing it 5-10X's which is not necessary, fuel leaking out would be expected.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 07:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
The fuel valve is also a safety device like you stated.

If the float leaks then gas can either leak out of the carb where the primer leak is or run down through the engine and fill the oil sump. Gas running all over the floor is bad for the garage and gas running all down the oil is bad for the engine.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #6 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 19
The bulb was pressed 3x as per the owners manual. So what you guys are saying is the bulb is there to fill the carb bowl if it's empty, but otherwise if the fuel valve is left open there's no need to press the primer bulb because the carb bowl is full already and just use the choke?
post #7 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 07:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
The bulb was pressed 3x as per the owners manual. So what you guys are saying is the bulb is there to fill the carb bowl if it's empty, but otherwise if the fuel valve is left open there's no need to press the primer bulb because the carb bowl is full already and just use the choke?
In general the primer bulb pushes air into the carb. The sudden extra air pressure pushes fuel up the main jet. Too much fuel will end up dripping. Ever see the coke/mentos videos online? It works kind of like that.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #8 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 08:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
So my question to you guys is does the fuel HAVE to be turned off each time the engine is shut down, or is the valve just there for maintenance purposes, or storage, or some kind of redundant safety feature like the key? I know the manual says to shut it off as it does in my Honda mower manual but I've never shut the fuel off in the 25 years I've owned it and never had a leak. This is the first snow blower I've owned that had a primer bulb so I'm wondering if leaving the gas on and pressing the primer would cause gas to drip from some where. It only dripped a few times right after pressing the bulb and didn't drip while the engine was running.
First, its foremost task is to relieve the small pressure of gas to the carb float pin during storage so the full gas tank content would not empty itself in oil crankcase and yes also for draining carb but there are two train of thoughts on this which in my opinion mosltly every one in the far past never did the drain the carb thing with nasty results but that is only my opinion.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #9 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 08:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 166
Quote:
Yes that is correct and each time you start the engine you would repeat the process.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 08:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
Yes that is correct and each time you start the engine you would repeat the process.
I tend to disagree with you Cardo for when the engine is as cold as outside temps one would use the primer and not when engine is warm. Please read also Shryp's response.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page