LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-19-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 7
New member with st227

Took delivery two weeks ago and finally got about six inches of wet lake effects snow. Very pleased with it, starts easy, smooth running and never plugged up.

I have to get used to the controls. My old (1989) MTD has the drive control on the right and the Husqvarna has it on the left! Going to take some practice! I do love the chute controls.

Nother sure why but Husqvarna does not seem very popular on this forum? I have had good luck with their chain saws and commercial sewing machines plus they offer good value. Purchased from local dealer not box store.

Padraig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-19-2015, 06:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1619
Likes (Received): 570
hello Padraig, welcome to SBF and congrats!! its good to know that husky is making some decent equipment other than chain saws and commercial sewing machines, for awhile they were letting other manufacture their products and giving the brand a bad rep

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 15 Old 12-19-2015, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
to the forum Padraig

Glad you got a chance to try her out. Guess you need to keep a rock in your left hand for a couple weeks to remind you which hand is the drive hand.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-19-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, we will see how it holds up. I am in Western NY and we tend to get some good snow falls. I don't have a huge drive way but usually do a few of my elderly neighbors. If the snow gets too high I also do around the inside of the fence so it is not too tempting for the Irish Wolfhounds.

Padraig
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #5 of 15 Old 12-19-2015, 11:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 43
Another ST227

Padraig--

I bought the same ST227, and have about six hours on it so far. Mostly pretty heavy wet snow, and it's worked fine. The oil was changed after the first hour of use. The whole thing inside and out got a couple coats of paint sealant so it doesn't clog even with heart-attack quality barely-snow. Otherwise just followed all the set-up instructions that came with it.

At six hours, the front skid shoes are showing more wear than I expected. I have some plastic stock in the workshop so I made what I hope are better skid shoes. That's really all I've needed to do, beyond regular adjustments for the wear on the old shoes.

Oh, I took the prcaution of adding Sta-Bil to the gas, based on the Husqy recommendation. Took just a couple weeks to go through most of the two-gallon can in the six hours of use; Preservative not needed for that can, but still doing it so I don't have to drain the tank on it after each use.

Overall I'm more than satisfied. If it can throw the soggy stuff as it has, it should have no problems with the colder stuff.

Enjoy your new machine, and share back things you learn about it.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-20-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Dr bob.

Six hours.....wow this was our first decent snow fall. After the next use I will switch to Mobil One. I run synthetic oil in everything from lawn mower to 560 hp boat engine. I will keep an eye on the skids and maybe get a pair as spares. I was going to put a coat of wax on the machine but have not done it yet.

What paint sealant to you use and where and how do you apply it?

Padraig
post #7 of 15 Old 12-20-2015, 11:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 278
Likes (Received): 146
Hi Pagdraig welcome to the forum. Husqvarna does come up on the forum from time to time and I think it's gaining in popularity since leaving the old AYP days behind. Here is a link to a recent thread:https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...324p-soon.html

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #8 of 15 Old 12-20-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Hi Pagdraig welcome to the forum. Husqvarna does come up on the forum from time to time and I think it's gaining in popularity since leaving the old AYP days behind. Here is a link to a recent thread:https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...324p-soon.html
All I can say is, WOW!

Padraig
post #9 of 15 Old 12-28-2015, 10:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Hi all. First post after using my new st227 for the first time. After using an MTD 26" 8hp 1995 model, this thing seems like a beast in terms of how well it chews through and how far it throws snow. It is opposite control wise to the old MTD, but I'm getting used to it. I like the power steering. It does makes a quick squealing noise when the auger first kicks in if snow is in the chute, like the belt may be slipping a little, not sure if that's normal. Overall I like it and was glad that it didn't clog even with the wet heavy snow we had here in northern Illinois today.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Padraig liked this post
post #10 of 15 Old 12-28-2015, 10:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy View Post
Hi all. First post after using my new st227 for the first time. After using an MTD 26" 8hp 1995 model, this thing seems like a beast in terms of how well it chews through and how far it throws snow. It is opposite control wise to the old MTD, but I'm getting used to it. I like the power steering. It does makes a quick squealing noise when the auger first kicks in if snow is in the chute, like the belt may be slipping a little, not sure if that's normal. Overall I like it and was glad that it didn't clog even with the wet heavy snow we had here in northern Illinois today.
Sounds like you had the same MTD that I used to have the model 640F mine was a workhorse that served me well for many years, sold it about 2 years ago and switched to Ariens. Getting used to the controls on the opposite side after so many years takes some getting used to. Glad to hear you are happy with your Husky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page