post #1 of 15 Old 01-13-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 6
Husqvarna ST330T review

Review of the new ST330T bought from my local husky dealer

I have got to use the machine 3 times so far, 2 fluffy snows (20 cm each) and 1 wet heavy snow that I just finished clearing a few minutes ago(25 cm). Driveway is about 220' long with a small driveway by the house and the longer portion goes to the garage. Also have to clear a large area in front of the garage (40'x40') and an area for the dogs to run and play (30'x30')

Can't say anything bad about this machine yet. Chews through the snow like butter and having the track drive with the multiple bucket options has been excellent on my long uneven gravel driveway. Hydro transmission has been super smooth and it's nice to just hit the knob with my thumb as I'm walking along to adjust the speed accordingly. The trigger assisted steering has been excellent so far; the machine turns on a dime and you don't need to throw the machine around to turn it. Heated grips are very nice; I have yet to wear gloves while using the machine. All controls have moved effortlessly and no problems yet.

My previous experience is on a 25 year old Honda hs828 track model that still works like a top...but no comparison between the 2 in terms of operator comfort and cutting through the snow. That being said who knows if the Husqvarna will be in my garage 25 years from now? But with proper maintancnce hopefully it is!

Only complaint so far would be id like to have a faster reverse speed; but again that's me used to the Honda and just throwing it around to move it faster. Oh, the drift cutters seemed to loosen up a bit with all the vibrations so I just took the off and if needed I'll put them back on for a huge snowfall.

All in all very pleased so far with the machine, last year I had to wait hours or sometimes a day to get the plow guy to come buy and he could barely make it up the driveway and of course he left a lot for me to shovel, no more of that nonsense!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1452696164192.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	71962   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1452696205187.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	71970  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-13-2016, 01:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Nice review. I'm thinking about an ST327p wheel drive. I'm curious why you chose Husqvarna vs getting another Honda? There seems to be a lot of plastic on the control unit of the Husky which I'm not too happy with. Any comments?
post #3 of 15 Old 01-13-2016, 02:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 498
Likes (Received): 222
Fishstick, don't let that plastic shroud throw you. Situated directly below that shroud is a sturdy metal plate that all the controls are fastened to. I had my shroud off recently to play around with different springs for the controls. Believe me, it's one beefy metal panel.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #4 of 15 Old 01-13-2016, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 54
Weldy. What's the bottle underneath the control panel, right next to the ignition key.
Is that Hydro Fluid Bottle ?

------

Disregard. Downloaded the manual. It is Hydro.
Must be different tranny.

I think when I looked at the trans. on the 324, the gearcase used ~grease~ and not oil

Last edited by mobiledynamics; 01-13-2016 at 05:46 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-13-2016, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick487 View Post
Nice review. I'm thinking about an ST327p wheel drive. I'm curious why you chose Husqvarna vs getting another Honda? There seems to be a lot of plastic on the control unit of the Husky which I'm not too happy with. Any comments?
The Honda is my fathers, I would loved to have gone with a Honda but they had no financing offers here and husqvarna had 0% for 36 months. Also with the Honda you had to buy sight unseen and the dealer has not been great to deal with in the past.

I was happy with the redesign of the ST330T this year and I liked it specs on paper and how I felt standing behind it. The old Honda was a few inches shorter and hard on the back (I'm 6'4"), I assume the new ones are taller but again dealers didn't have any in when I was looking. As of right now I don't mind the plastic, all the components underneath are heavy duty.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks! I have the opposite problem. Dealers will get the hss928 Honda on the showroom floor but no one will stock a higher model Husky, like the ST327p, because they claim they don't sell enough of them. It's irritating I can't see it before I would buy. I like both models, just want to be sure the HUsky would be worth the $1k savings over the Honda. I'd rather have a manual chute adjuster like on the Husky. One thing the Husky has on the lower models that I found at Lowes is the chute adjuster is little plastic notches the chute goes into when moving left or right. I worry about this plastic breaking over time. It seems the higher model Huskys like yours or the ST327p doesn't have those notches, are they metal? Can you take a close up pic of this area? Thanks
post #7 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 12:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Fishstick, FWIW, I hemmed and hawed at this a couple months ago. Considered the HSS, SHO and the Husq. was the last on the radar. Blind brand aside, I wanted 2 things, POWER in a 24 bucket width, and Hydro. Between the 3, all of them seemed liked a compromise. SHO had power but no Hydro. Honda and Husq seemed par for the course on Hydro and Power.

Currently own a SS Honda 621.
Prior to this current home, I had both the 621 and 928.

FWIW, I went with the Husq. Bought is sight unseen....It had the Hydro, the Power Steering and I was only planning to use this for my EOD and 1 area where I have some stonework. The rest would be the 621. The price as well, well, I got a steal of a price and could have bought TWO 324P or a single 724AWD

If there was a Honda dealer I found within a 70 mile radius that I liked, that might have been a different story. In my area, most of the Honda dealers are motorsports dealers who just happen to sell snowblowers during the season. The OPE oriented dealer sold honda, mainly generators. He would order me one, but they preferred to have Orange on their floor.

I'm not sure how dealer service is important to you. If you're mechanical, it may not of consideration.

If you are not wrench prolifieric, maybe it's something to weigh in on.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 02:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 498
Likes (Received): 222
Here is a picture of the chute control. I played around with different springs for the detent and posted them on another thread. You can see it's all metal where you were concerned. If the manufacturer date is where I think it is on this part, it's been around for a while with virtually no wear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SD532501.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	72065  

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #9 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 03:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Here is a picture of the chute control. I played around with different springs for the detent and posted them on another thread. You can see it's all metal where you were concerned. If the manufacturer date is where I think it is on this part, it's been around for a while with virtually no wear.
Thanks for the picture. I'm assuming these are the metal notches below the chute adjuster handle?

Take a look at the attached photo of a lower model Husky. Notice the plastic notices the chute adjuster handle goes into, they are all plastic. It doesn't appear the higher model Huskys, like the ST327P or 324P have these, and that the notices are metal like in the picture you showed.

Mobiledynamics - are the steering release handles metal or plastic?

Thanks for all your input guys. Very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	961-93-00-96_13980_feature2[1].jpg
Views:	66
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	72073  
post #10 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 03:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The steering levers are metal.

FWIW, and I have not seen the 200 (belly) of it but I have played with it @ Lowes. It is a night/day difference in terms of smoothness on the chute controls though. The 200 series I would say is ~silky smooth~ engaging in between the notches. The 300, it does require a bit of ~hand force~ to engage the chute.

In the ideal world, I would want how it feels on the 200 series.

Zavie hasn posted his testing/findings as well in that big ongoing thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page