Consumer Reports beating up on Husqvarna? Meaningful data? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-03-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 23
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Consumer Reports beating up on Husqvarna? Meaningful data?

See below. So I noticed consumer reports rated snowblower Brands in a recent magazine. The higher the percentage the more problems reported by owners. Honda had the lowest reported problems and Husqvarna the highest. Hopefully the amount of machines surveyed for each brand is the same. I wish I knew what model of blowers were most represented as well as the specific problem reported. This would factor out stale gas, user error. Interesting that Troy Bilt, which is and MTD brand came in second place. WTH? I like the Husqvarna 300 series blowers, but now I'm wafting based on this data. Any '"real" Husqvarna snowblower owners care to comment on the reliability of their machines? Newer 300 series ones in particular. I realize there is a lot of ways this data could be interpreted, but it's something. Seriously, though, Troy Bilt?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1454552565445.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	77457   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1454552588510.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	77465   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1454552610190.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	77473  
Fishstick487 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 02-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
micah68kj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: S. C. Pa. 39.755928, -77.577766
Posts: 4,880
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 911
I personally don't take much stock in CR. It's MY OPINION only. I can't give a compelling reason why other than I simply don't believe them. I certainly wouldn't be guided to buy or not buy using their research and reports.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
micah68kj is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #3 of 31 Old 02-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Hanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Princeton B.C. Canada
Posts: 990
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 306
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
I personally don't take much stock in CR. It's MY OPINION only. I can't give a compelling reason why other than I simply don't believe them. I certainly wouldn't be guided to buy or not buy using their research and reports.
My 10 to 12 hrs, this winter with a 224 P I was impressed with this little guy.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
Hanky is online now  
post #4 of 31 Old 02-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Cardo111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,052
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Good thread and it raises some interesting points. MTD products often get a bad wrap here, however there are many members here that have had good experiences with their Cub Cadets or Craftsman machines. Generally Consumer Reports states that differences of less than 5% in reliability ratings are insignificant. The rating they post for Husqvarna is disturbing. Their 300 series machines seem to be much better built than their 200 series offerings. I have one of their chainsaws and was unimpressed with their customer support relative to Ariens who does set a very high bar in terms of customer support.

Regarding Consumer Reports testing methodology I am not a 100% confident in the wet saw dust being an accurate way to test a snowblower, I do know that manufacturers use the method when snow is unavailable. They rated the Ariens Deluxe 28 with the small for size 254cc engine as excellent on the plow pile and I felt it was underpowered almost to the point of stalling when I owned one, I ended up selling it for a more powerful unit that I am very happy with. Ratings will give you some info but not the whole picture, read a lot of reviews be leary of any that are too positive or too negative., get behind any machine you plan on buying to see how it will handle for you and your stature and find a dealer you can trust.

Best of luck on your search!
Cardo111 is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Hanky, Grunt, Rob711, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #5 of 31 Old 02-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 56
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
I looked long and hard before getting my ST324P this year. Now I will say we haven't had much snow so I have limited use so far. But I will say it has performed perfectly fine. I looked at Ariens and after talking to a few people that had the auto turn I decided it wasn't for me. Catch something on the edge of the bucket and she will want to turn. Other than that no one complained about Ariens. Toro dosent make a HD in a 24". Then I looked at Honda. Too much money. Can't justify the cost. Then came Husqvarna. I did some research and liked what I saw. The machine I have shares the same 254 cc LCT engine that Ariens uses. The hydrostatic drive is a hydro gear SST. This is the same unit Honda uses. That's no BS, if Honda uses the same thing I guess I won't worry about that. It uses ball bearings on the auger shaft not bushings. The gear box is cast iron. It has the only 4 blade impeller that is also cast iron. I have high hopes for it and so far it has done what I ask, starts easy, runs great, transmission is smooth, blows the snow like a champ. Hope this helps. As far as consumer reports I would stake everything on their opinion.

Last edited by Ducky; 02-03-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Ducky is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Hanky liked this post
post #6 of 31 Old 02-03-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 23
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Yes, I agree with the 5% thing. So if you factor this in, then all the Brands rank similar while Hudqvarna is still the outlier in the 20% range. It's a little concerning, but again without knowing specifics with regards to the problems, it's hard to assess the Husqvarna brand
Fishstick487 is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 02-03-2016, 11:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,175
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
My impressions, they portray some of their models with reversed augers in their webpage(that would not work) as being correct. I could not buy one.....

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
db9938 is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 02-04-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 23
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
I looked long and hard before getting my ST324P this year. Now I will say we haven't had much snow so I have limited use so far. But I will say it has performed perfectly fine. I looked at Ariens and after talking to a few people that had the auto turn I decided it wasn't for me. Catch something on the edge of the bucket and she will want to turn. Other than that no one complained about Ariens. Toro dosent make a HD in a 24". Then I looked at Honda. Too much money. Can't justify the cost. Then came Husqvarna. I did some research and liked what I saw. The machine I have shares the same 254 cc LCT engine that Ariens uses. The hydrostatic drive is a hydro gear SST. This is the same unit Honda uses. That's no BS, if Honda uses the same thing I guess I won't worry about that. It uses ball bearings on the auger shaft not bushings. The gear box is cast iron. It has the only 4 blade impeller that is also cast iron. I have high hopes for it and so far it has done what I ask, starts easy, runs great, transmission is smooth, blows the snow like a champ. Hope this helps. As far as consumer reports I would stake everything on their opinion.

Ducky, everything you said is precisely how I feel as well with respect to the Ariens and Honda machines and the Hydro. If I was going with a friction disk machine I would probably go Toro,. However the Toro Loncin engine bothers me. I seem to have much more trust in parts sourcing the LCT engine vs the Loncin on the Toros over the long run. Maybe the Toro dealers have access to engine diagrams/parts schedule for the Loncins, but I can't find any on the consumer end. This bothers me to my core. LCT shows all internal parts and associated part #'s.

Regardless I feel like I'd be happiest with a hydro st327p, but I'm a maniac and will read hundreds of posts and forums to support a decision. I will get there someday. Ps, I'm the weirdo that doesnt care for Hondas electric chute and would have preferred something as slick or similar to Toro quick stick, or left electric as option.

Fishstick
Fishstick487 is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 02-04-2016, 01:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,175
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
If parts sourceablity is an issue, I would definitely focus on that as a priority. Regardless of brand, you have to live with it.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
db9938 is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 02-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New jersey
Posts: 53
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick487 View Post
Ducky, everything you said is precisely how I feel as well with respect to the Ariens and Honda machines and the Hydro. If I was going with a friction disk machine I would probably go Toro,. However the Toro Loncin engine bothers me. I seem to have much more trust in parts sourcing the LCT engine vs the Loncin on the Toros over the long run. Maybe the Toro dealers have access to engine diagrams/parts schedule for the Loncins, but I can't find any on the consumer end. This bothers me to my core. LCT shows all internal parts and associated part #'s.

Regardless I feel like I'd be happiest with a hydro st327p, but I'm a maniac and will read hundreds of posts and forums to support a decision. I will get there someday. Ps, I'm the weirdo that doesnt care for Hondas electric chute and would have preferred something as slick or similar to Toro quick stick, or left electric as option.

Fishstick
I researched non stop for days. My wife was ready to leave me haha. Came to the conclusion that the st324p was the best machine for me . The weight off my shoulders is gone. It gets delivered to me today from snowblower direct.com. I'm 100% certain CR did not base there ratings of the newer 300 series. From what I've read the 300's are built like tanks.
Forcefed4door is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome