Weight of Homelite/Jacobsen Imperial SNO 826? - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 08-23-2019, 12:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 118
Likes (Received): 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwerblower View Post
Seems like a weird question, but I need to transport this thrower 40+ miles twice on a snow day.

I don't have a truck or own a trailer (not like I'd want to trailer anything on a highway with deep enough snow to require a 26" thrower), but I do have a 500lb capacity hitch basket on an AWD vehicle with dedicated snow tires and 350lbs of tongue weight on a 2" hitch.

How heavy are these old throwers? I'm guessing close to 200 lbs, it's a whole lot of steel and cast iron, plus the tecumseh 8hp engine.

Is driving this thing around on my trailer basket a sensible thing to do? It would save me a ton of manual labor if I could.

Thanks
The 350lb tongue weight will be multiplied the further you are away from the tongue, or receiver of it. The basket and weight will be located a few feet back from the receiver, which may equate to around 500 or more pounds at the receiver.
Also it will equate to over 500 lbs weight on the rear axle due to the leverage factor. Now think of the rear axle as a pivot point. You will have the added weight over the rear axle and tires, but you will have just the opposite over your front axle and wheels, meaning your front axle weight will be lighter because of the leverage/pivoting effect of the rear axle. Just like a "See-Saw".
You will have less weight and traction on your front/steering tires, meaning it will steer differently, and if you are on snowy roads, you will have less steering traction which can be dangerous if you loose your steering and front braking traction. The traction you may gain on the rear axle will be negated by the loss of traction on your front axle.
You would be better and safer to put the weight in the bed of a pick-up truck and place it towards the front of the bed for even weight distribution and traction on all wheels. Then cover the snowblower with a tarp and secure the cover so it doesn't come off and it will be protected somewhat from the elements while transporting it.
Pulling a trailer in the snow is not too much fun, especially if you are not experienced with that in the snow. You have the added weight of the trailer and the handling of it in the snow, trying to brake, start out, turn and back up with it, the loss of fuel mileage, when the trailer is much more heavier than the cargo weight of a snowblower, and if you can even get the trailer rented in such short notice due to a sudden snow storm.
In your case, I don't think it would be worth it to go and buy a trailer just for hauling your snowblower around. Who knows how many times you will need it, we can't always guarantee the weather predictions, and the cost of the trailer, registration and insurance, you wonder if it would be worth it if it may not be used. Plus pulling a trailer in the snow is a whole different world driving than just driving a vehicle without a trailer.

Last edited by ST1100A; 08-23-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 08-23-2019, 11:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
Not to beat a dead horse...but a nice 2 stage blower can be has for $300 or less.....just buy one and park it at the other place. I have one at my Mother's, and Girlfriends.....BTW I got a truck , trailer and ramps..but why go through all of that when you know you will have to transport multiple time????
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #13 of 15 Old 08-23-2019, 11:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 118
Likes (Received): 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
Not to beat a dead horse...but a nice 2 stage blower can be has for $300 or less.....just buy one and park it at the other place. I have one at my Mother's, and Girlfriends.....BTW I got a truck , trailer and ramps..but why go through all of that when you know you will have to transport multiple time????
Basically he'd be better off getting a second machine. He'd have to maintain both of them, but they would only be doing half the work as just one machine would be doing maintaining both places, plus the extra work of hauling the machine around. So that would be a lot less work and wear on the two machines, compared to using just one for both places.
I would say that would be a lot easier having two machines, one at each place, than hauling one around all the time in bad weather.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-31-2019, 09:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I'm going to suggest having 2 machines, because... Those baskets are not too tight in the hitch and will sway quite a bit when driving; with over 200 lbs there, any adjustment in drive lines will not feel too great when the basket essentially whips the 200 lbs...most likely you'll feel cery uncomfortable. If you're in heavy snow, you can easily loose your rear traction.

2. If you insist on transporting the machine, (I assume you are using an SUV here with that tiungue weight), you might consider loading it in the back. The weight will be closer to center on your rear, and the ride will be less precarious. Keep in mind you might have to leave your hatch up, which may be a bit cold, but the ride, traction, and steering will be better than hanging the weight off your hitch.

I loaded a Husqvarna 28" blower in a mid sized Mazda CX-5 (drove the sucker on some ramps into the car). There were tie down inside, and the machine stayed put for the 60 mile ride home.

If you still insist on using the basket, don't forget to cover with a tarp to keep it clean.

Best option in end, like others have notes is to keep a machine at each pkace.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 Old 08-31-2019, 10:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 168
40+ miles seems like quite the drive on a snowday. if you have to take your blower with you each time i would maybe even suggest finding something a bit smaller. i was using a my little ariens 5/20 for snow removal just because it is light enough for me to load into the back of my suv by myself. i would maybe guess it weighs about 100lbs. pretty easy to load/unload. anything bigger would be more difficult unless your pretty strong.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page