Weight of Homelite/Jacobsen Imperial SNO 826? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-20-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Weight of Homelite/Jacobsen Imperial SNO 826?

Seems like a weird question, but I need to transport this thrower 40+ miles twice on a snow day.

I don't have a truck or own a trailer (not like I'd want to trailer anything on a highway with deep enough snow to require a 26" thrower), but I do have a 500lb capacity hitch basket on an AWD vehicle with dedicated snow tires and 350lbs of tongue weight on a 2" hitch.

How heavy are these old throwers? I'm guessing close to 200 lbs, it's a whole lot of steel and cast iron, plus the tecumseh 8hp engine.

Is driving this thing around on my trailer basket a sensible thing to do? It would save me a ton of manual labor if I could.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 07:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 16
any scrap/"recycling" yards in your town? check in at the scale house and ask if they can weigh your vehicle w & w/o the machine in the basket - also, seems to me someone on this site will have the answer from a spec page on that machine
consideration w/driving it in the basket is be sure it's secure in the basket (amazing what "falls" out of people's vehicles.. snowblowers, gas grills, beds... all seen on the road) and what if any damage is going to done to the machine while it's riding back there

good luck
post #3 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 10:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 105
Likes (Given): 73
Likes (Received): 112
Garage
If you have a bathroom scale, set the bucket on the scale and lift on the handles so the machine is vertical and read the scale. Perhaps a protective cover to prevent damage to the scale. Best to drain carb and fuel tank first. Oil should not be a problem.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 11:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 215
I would guess 250 max. Maybe you can Google it.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 12:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
How about buying another used blower and keep it at the other place.....
post #6 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
My 24" Ariens Pro is about 270 lbs, from the manual. Given the wider bucket, and the fact that it's probably older than mine, I'd guess more like 250 vs 200, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was more.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 15 Old 08-22-2019, 03:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 118
Likes (Received): 64
Do yourself a big favor and get a pick-up truck to put it in for transporting it that far.
When you see all of the crap that will get on it from the road that will end up on your snowblower, you will be shocked, like salt, snow slush, ice and any other dirt and crap.
You will have some damage and ice build up, and it will be ruined in a hurry. The electrical system can get flooded out, and controls flooded and frozen, plus any road salt will be all over it and cause rust.
If it would ever fall off of your basket and do damage to anyone else's property, your insurance might not cover it unless you have "Cargo Insurance" coverage.
Whatever kind of "Road Spray" that will end up on it may cause some damage and headaches for you with the amount of mileage travel you want to do with it. Otherwise you would want to seal it up inside a water tight container mounted on your basket to transport it that distance.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-22-2019, 02:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Rent a closed trailer from U-Haul and buy some hold down straps from tractor supply.
This will be easier to deal with and the snow mule will be dry and the V belts will not be
all wet from the slop on the road.

At worst you can purchase a new 4 cycle toro single stage snow pup to haul back and forth
as it will be easy to transport. All you will need to do is drain the gas out of it before you load
it in the trunk before you leave and once more before you come back home.

It may be less costly to rent a closed trailer for a weekend.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I interpreted the question as being for a recurring situation. Moving it twice, on the occasions that it snows, to use the same machine for 2 properties. Not just doing this as a one-time thing.

If I misinterpreted, please let me know. But I think renting a trailer for each storm would get prohibitive.

I do certainly see a benefit to keeping the machine clean, dry, and free of salt spray!

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 15 Old 08-22-2019, 09:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwerblower View Post
Seems like a weird question, but I need to transport this thrower 40+ miles twice on a snow day.
Even cheaper than even a decent used 4WD pickup is to simply buy another snow blower, used or even new, and it'll give you a lot fewer headaches and maintenance work to do than doing that drive several times during the winter. Your profile says you live in Michigan to I'll take the liberty of assuming you get a fair bit of snow there.

I've never even been to Michigan, let alone in the snow, but even here in West Virginia driving 80+ miles round trip in the snow is not something I'd willingly do very often. Any chance you could just hire someone to do the snow clearing at the other location? That might be yet another option that is easier, cheaper, and a lot less stressful than driving to and from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page