Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
New guy, old snow blower :)

Hi all
I just was given a older Jacobsen 8hp 30" unit by my neighbor
Its all cmplete,but i suspect it may need an engine
That part is okay, but before i spend the money, i want to make sure the rest if the machine is ok, as well as understand some more about how it works(gear box,clutch??? ,etc)
I am a mechanic/engine builder and do alot of my own fabrication so im not too worried about the work but more about how it works.
I was thinking of restoring it and had a few questions, and hoped there was somebody on here who was familiar with these units
Thanks
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-13-2015, 01:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Most engines are connected to other parts by belts. Usually the control handles tighten or loosen the belts and that is how the clutch works. A few old designs did use chains and centrifugal clutches though.

Most snow blowers use a fiction disc for the drive wheels. Very simply design that doesn't really break. Generally you just need to clean things up and then maybe a new rubber wheel and a couple bearings.

Some older ones did have gear drive transmissions though. Best just to pull the bottom cover off and have a peek.

The front auger gearbox is the issue. Make sure the gears are good and everything spins properly. Some old ones have the augers rust to the shaft which then means the gears break instead of the shear pins when people hit stuff. That can be expensive to fix.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-13-2015, 05:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 26 Old 08-13-2015, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Most engines are connected to other parts by belts. Usually the control handles tighten or loosen the belts and that is how the clutch works. A few old designs did use chains and centrifugal clutches though.

Most snow blowers use a fiction disc for the drive wheels. Very simply design that doesn't really break. Generally you just need to clean things up and then maybe a new rubber wheel and a couple bearings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHH_Tcufx4

Some older ones did have gear drive transmissions though. Best just to pull the bottom cover off and have a peek.

The front auger gearbox is the issue. Make sure the gears are good and everything spins properly. Some old ones have the augers rust to the shaft which then means the gears break instead of the shear pins when people hit stuff. That can be expensive to fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwb2LBnt5ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFOVWb_QP5k
Thanks for.the reply. Tonight after dinner i went out and removed the incorrect Auger to shaft bolts and made sure everything spins freely.
Next was figuring out why the gear lever felt frozen . I figured out that the shaft the Friction wheel rides/ slides across ,was a little rusted and the grease was old,dirt caked. After some brake clean, and a light sanding , and some fresh grease, it shifts like a champ.
So next up is trying to free up the motor. If i am unsuccesful , does anyone make a replacement 1" shaft , 8hp motor thats comparable to the origjnal Techcumsa ??
Thanks again.
Im liking this site already. Hahahahha
post #5 of 26 Old 08-14-2015, 02:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevdos View Post
Thanks for.the reply. Tonight after dinner i went out and removed the incorrect Auger to shaft bolts and made sure everything spins freely.
Next was figuring out why the gear lever felt frozen . I figured out that the shaft the Friction wheel rides/ slides across ,was a little rusted and the grease was old,dirt caked. After some brake clean, and a light sanding , and some fresh grease, it shifts like a champ.
So next up is trying to free up the motor. If i am unsuccesful , does anyone make a replacement 1" shaft , 8hp motor thats comparable to the origjnal Techcumsa ??
Thanks again.
Im liking this site already. Hahahahha
I would suggest repowering with a Honda Clone. Easy starting the 212cc Predator engine compares well in power to the original 8hp flathead engine. I should know since I replaced an 8hp Briggs flathead with a Harbor Freight Predator 212cc and it more than holds it own compared to the old engine. If you want even more Power you can get the 301cc Predator and it would easily out perform the old engine.

Last edited by GustoGuy; 08-14-2015 at 02:29 AM.
post #6 of 26 Old 08-14-2015, 06:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
Since this is a 30" blower with a 1" output shaft I would look for an 11 to 13hp engine to replace it.

While you could use a harbor freight 6.5hp engine and change the pulley to accommodate the 3/4" shaft or use a bushing I think that the 6.5 is just too small for a 30" machine.

If you could find a used Honda gx340 or a gx390 they would make a great replacement

Harbor freight used to sell an 11hp gx340 clone engine (which i have on a 26" machine) that would have been ideal for this application but it is no longer available.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
I love "new guy, old snow blower". That pretty much describes most of us here.

I've fallen and I can't get up !!

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #8 of 26 Old 08-14-2015, 03:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
[QU ofOTE=CarlB;660857]Since this is a 30" blower with a 1" output shaft I would look for an 11 to 13hp engine to replace it.

While you could use a harbor freight 6.5hp engine and change the pulley to accommodate the 3/4" shaft or use a bushing I think that the 6.5 is just too small for a 30" machine.

If you could find a used Honda gx340 or a gx390 they would make a great replacement

Harbor freight used to sell an 11hp gx340 clone engine (which i have on a 26" machine) that would have been ideal for this application but it is no longer available.[/QUOTE]

Wow only 8 horses on as Big of a machine as 30 inches. The 301cc Predator would probably work well. I replaced an 8hp on a 26 inch wide machine and the 212cc Predator was just as capable
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #9 of 26 Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
Both my Ariens 32"s are relatively small hp, 7 & 8 hp. It gets the job done but it's so much nicer to have more torque. Ran the 1332 Toro last year but didn't have any snow to actually load it down. I'm looking forward to that first 2'+ EOD and enjoy following the hungry PowerShift walking through it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0256.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	54217  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-07-2015 at 06:32 PM.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-14-2015, 07:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1620
Likes (Received): 570
if I could I would go with the 301cc predator motor on the jake unless like me you need electric start

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page