post #21 of 48 Old 12-11-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by db9938 View Post
You know, with it's weight, you might be able to configure a sulky with a seat, of sorts. Maybe a barstool with some small skis?

Might get a few laughs from the neighbors.
I get plenty o' that anyway... Actually I think it's you guys lookin' for a chuckle...

If the Hill were flat and level it might be a fun idea to play around with. As it is I can see myself coming uncoupled and passing the Main Unit on the way down while recalculating the speed of light... a$$ up in a drift at the bottom while the augers churn steadily closer... no thanks.

Tried something like that once already on the 'Bota, once is enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Yanmar Ronin; 12-11-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 Old 12-17-2015, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Speaking of flat and level... all that just about brings us up to this season, my third with the Yanmar; the first two she's given me no surprises. Nothing broke, not even a shear pin (bent a couple, not from ingesting anything just wear). Doesn't use any oil, starts every time. Makes a lot of snow go away. Had some fun out under the stars more than once... that made me decide last season to upgrade the original light, which was quite dim by today's standards.

Amazon find, sold as a 'Hella' but I wasn't the only one to complain, evidently there was a mix-up somewhere. Not a real bad light for $10, but definitely not Hella quality. Stuck with it for the second season, and it was an improvement on the original. Also required installation of a switch, as the one for the stock unit was on the light itself.

Removed the rubber plug where the choke went on the gas-powered models and stuck it there. 20mm hole, 12mm switch... never was real happy with how I had to rig it, and there was clearance issues with some of the under-the-panel lever action, too close for comfort. Vowed to take care of that for season three, and also check into what seemed to be some oil leaking from the left side of the auger gearbox at the end of season two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 48 Old 12-18-2015, 09:40 AM
wdb

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 69
Wild idea: LED light bar mounted across the top of the auger housing.
post #24 of 48 Old 12-18-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Once again overkill, but I like the way you think. Actually considered that, but a bit too much... also decided it would be too low, especially when Big snow, they'd be blocked.

What I found thanks to posts in the LED thread was these

...for the upgrade to LED front light, and also

...for a rear light and possible chute light.

Finally got around to some install a week or two ago, very pleased with the results. For now, one 18w headlight mounted on the original bracket:

The included bolt fit the stock threads just right, included nut added as an additional locknut, because, why not.

And one 10w for the rear, mounted via a fortuitously placed factory threaded hole/welded inner nut, which would support the chute control shaft bushing bracket on a manually operated unit. Just sitting there empty...

...waiting for some purpose in life.

The light's hardware (M6) bolted right in, and again I was able to get an additional lock nut on the other side. That also provided a nice place to ground the unit so I only had to run a power wire up to the lighting connector.

Previously mentioned Result:

Do Like.

The auger oil issue turned out to be... a non-issue, what happened was I mistook a drip for Niagara and put in way too much oil. Got an owner's manual in the interim so armed with Information I drained and refilled the box to the correct level, and it's not seeping now so that's gtg I think. Have fresh seals in hand, just in case.

She got a fresh battery too this month, since I found a nice Hitachi on sale; the old one was of unknown age/history and was reluctant to take a full charge when I first pulled it. Been nursing it a bit and it seems pretty fair now, I'll find a home for it somewhere that doesn't require emergency duty at o'dark:30.

Well that about brings this all up-to-date, sorry for the repeats for those who have seen in t'other thread... everything from here on out should be new content... Hopefully we get a nice dumping on so I can grab some action shots and Play.

post #25 of 48 Old 12-18-2015, 07:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 36
WOW, great light output.......seriously!!!

In examining the Amazon link, I noticed some very interesting details....to me.

Scroll down and follow:

Product Information>Technical Details>Origin>Andorra

Huh....say what......Andorra????
I guess its an example of our global sales market.......?

I've been in Andorra........its one road on a mountain top perched between France and Spain......with hotels, restaurants, bars, and shops that catered to snow skiing. Other that that.....there wasn't much there....but that was 43 years ago. Maybe things have changed.

Anyway.......great lighting!

2003 Toro 826 LE Power Max
1978 Yardman Snowbird 31600-9 (5hp x 24")

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
post #26 of 48 Old 12-18-2015, 07:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
Hmm, you could add one of those other lights to the end of the chute, the black section. Then you could illuminate where you are throwing it, or have a remote controlled spot light.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #27 of 48 Old 12-18-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Probably have to be lower down, on the main chute; I think they'd be subject to a little too much action/vibration up there. Would be cool to have it 'track' but some creative aiming might do the trick too. Or maybe a smaller/lighter light... hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztnoo View Post
WOW, great light output.......seriously!!!

Product Information>Technical Details>Origin>Andorra

Huh....say what......Andorra????
I guess its an example of our global sales market.......?

I've been in Andorra........its one road on a mountain top perched between France and Spain......with hotels, restaurants, bars, and shops that catered to snow skiing. Other that that.....there wasn't much there....but that was 43 years ago. Maybe things have changed.

Anyway.......great lighting!
Thanks... reasonable too, not much not to like so far. We'll see how they hold up...

Re. Andorra... Typo? Or maybe the Chinese have made a copy of that too...

post #28 of 48 Old 12-20-2015, 01:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
Hey what are friends for? ....

But to put you up to ridiculous ideas.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #29 of 48 Old 12-20-2015, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
When I was six years old I built a snowblower from Legos.

Today, a city of 350,000 people still uses it to clear their streets.

If you google "Hold my beer and watch this" my picture appears.

And making "ridiculous" become "reality" is a process I have patented. Several times.

So be careful what you wish for... you just might get it.

Not the bar stool on skis though... holy crap...

Chute light definite probability.

Please standby//

post #30 of 48 Old 12-22-2015, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Oh yeah the switch...

Camera not wanting to cooperate tonight...

Perfect @20mm, just had to file an index slot, nice and shallow so no more interference worries. Lit when lights on, option to be lit when key on just by switching two wires. Rated 15a at 12v so plenty of capacity.

Not waterproof... not thinking it's going to be an immediate problem but I found one of identical physical and electrical dimensions equipped with a boot on the 'zon just in case, red light though. Might swap it when it comes, we'll see.

Previous post just kidding... that google beer guy is totally someone else.

Steady on//

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page