LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-12-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Power chute switch update?

Hello all first post. I guess there's a forum for everything! I have a 1330SE blower and the L+R switch for the chute is acting up. I can take it apart and bend the contacts back into shape but in time I'll have to do it again and again until it breaks. I understand there is an update switch P/N B11687904 to replace the 1737378YP. Other than the obvious assumption that this is a better switch can anybody give me any information to convince me I need to spend $58 bucks on it?
Thanks
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-12-2017, 06:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
aboard GMJim!

Yes even snowblowers enjoy their own forum.

Someone familiar with John Deere blowers should be weighing in soon. Good luck with your chute issue.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 Old 02-12-2017, 09:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 83
GEvening men, Although I'm not a J/D guy, those switches are simoly double pole/double throw automotive style switches. I use Cole-Hersee switches as replacements. They are not fancy, or expensive, until it gets the green and yellow label. Snapper uses something similar, as well as Simplicity I believe. The draw back with the C/H switches, that I use anyway, is they don't have the fancy label on them. They are a frequent source of troubles, as well as the connectors, as evidenced by the updated harness with it? I'll get hold of the number that I deal with and post it. But again, a wiring update is apparently needeed and is noty contained in the box, as they are not J/D specific.

GLuck, Jay
post #4 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 06:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry Guys, Unfortunately, i have all my switches in a big box......None of my DP/DT switches are in their original packaging. I did a quick online search, and found a better C/H switch, Marine style, priced reasonably priced thru an eBay seller. It appears from the pic, that the terminals on the back are laid out different than your original switches and what I have in stock. But looking at that J/D Bulletin, looks suspiciously similar......I'll look into the C/H matching connector, so it could be a matched set. These are Marine duty switches and will be well suited for these conditions. Here is the what I just found on a quick search:

Cole Hersee-Cole Hersee - Rocker Switch, DPDT Mom On-Off-Mom On - M-58031-09-BX-M-58031-09-BX

M-58031-09 - M-58031 Marine Series - Rocker Switches from Switches - Littelfuse

I'll report back with the matching connector. But the part number is the important starting point.

GLuck, Jay
post #5 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I don't really want to use aftermarket switches on this machine. It's four years old but is in like new condition and if the aftermarket switch doesn't fit in the bracket properly I would need to modify it to fit. Maybe later when it has a little rust and a few dents I might go that route but not yet. I'll check these out and see if one fits. I was just wondering if the updated switch was worth doing?

Thanks for the links!

Last edited by GMJim; 02-13-2017 at 10:23 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 09:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 283
It looks to me as if the harness is simply an adapter due to a change in the spade orientation scheme between the old and the new switch. I think Jay is correct and the fancy silk-screened drawing on the switch is where most of the money is going. Locating the switch without instructions printed and the JD markup would be 1/3 the price if you found the original part number.
I understand your desire to keep it looking like new. There must have been enough issues with the first switch that they switched vendors and had to make an adapter.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 09:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 283
Forgot to attach the photo all of us have been referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JD switch.PNG
Views:	162
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	99962  
post #8 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 10:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJim View Post
I don't really want to use aftermarket switches on this machine. It's four years old but is in like new condition and if the aftermarket switch doesn't fit in the bracket properly I would need to modify it to fit. Maybe later when it has a little rust and a few dents I might go that route but not yet. I was just wondering if the updated switch was worth doing?
If you want your chute to work when needed, then its worth doing. Not much good if you can't put snow where you want it. Don't use the same switch you have now, as you already know it has a limited life span, unless you just got a bad one. If JD has upgraded to a different switch, and you want to spend to money, might as well. It a matter of pay JD or save a few bucks.

Aftermarket switch measurements are usually given, so just measure yours and compare. Should be able to find one that fits perfect. maybe the graphic wont be there, but as long as you get the switch in the mount oriented correctly, left will be left and right will be right.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #9 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
It looks to me as if the harness is simply an adapter due to a change in the spade orientation scheme between the old and the new switch. I think Jay is correct and the fancy silk-screened drawing on the switch is where most of the money is going. Locating the switch without instructions printed and the JD markup would be 1/3 the price if you found the original part number.
I understand your desire to keep it looking like new. There must have been enough issues with the first switch that they switched vendors and had to make an adapter.
I'm going to check out the Cole Hersee switch Jay found and then check the machine to see if it will fit in the bracket properly. If it fits I'll rewire it if I have to as well. I don't really care about the printing especially at the price difference.
Thanks.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-14-2017, 12:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
J/D doesn't make snowblowers......They are made by another company to their spex and painted J/D Green. The said manufacture's don't make switches, they have said switches painted/silk screened to their spex. I understand your devotion to the brand, and sympathize with you. As has been pointed out, the J/D switches are available through many outlets. I merely suggested a company that more than likely makes that J/D switch, at a cheaper cost, which is what I thought the original question was. It is a standard sized Automotive/Truck dimensioned switch. Very Very Common. If the visuals are that important, then I would switch the lever with the pictures on it. Should be fairly easy, as you have stated you have already had them apart.
As for my customers, they prefer the savings and willfully do without the OEM button (although i can swap it). I also would not use the adapter harness.....just more unprotected connections to go awry. I would cut off the OEM plug, solder on the correct terminals to the blunt cut ends, secure them to the switch, and pot them in a waterproof coating. It will look factory, and outlast the machine. I warranty my electrical work for the life of the machine.
Originality costs money, I guess the question becomes, "How Original do you want it?"......Purely speculation on my part, But I'm guessing NOT $58 worth

GLuck, Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in