LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
JD 826 with no spark

I inherited an old JD 826 with a serial number in the 55XXXX range. It has run great for 30 years or so and this year it doesn't have a spark. I have narrowed it down to the ignition module. I want to test it to make sure though since the dealer charges $96 or so and that is a nice chunk of change to drop on a hunch. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Are you sure it isn't just the points and condensor?

http://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy7...s?query=points
post #3 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I would have thought of the points as well but according to JD this model is solid and has no points. The parts catalog only lists the "module" which I think is the ignition module.
post #4 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Points or not

Assuming you're planning on doing some checking or testing, I'm assuming you have some tools. Regardless of whether it's points or solid state, I'd guess you're going to have to remove the flywheel cover before proceeding, so why not do it now and find out for sure? About 4-5 bolts and you should be able to pull the flywheel cover and know for sure.

You can also look for things like broken wires etc at the same time.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have already pulled the covers off and checked the fly wheel and the wires, all of that seems fine. The only thing that appears wrong is that there is rust on the coil.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
THE BINFORD 5000 IN MY GALLERY WAS GIVEN TO ME BECAUSE SPARK-WISE IT WAS DEADER THAN 4 O'CLOCK. I CLEANED AND RE-SET THE POINTS (YOU DON'T HAVE) AND SANDED THE MAGNETO CONTACTS (does a solid state unit have these?).

THE SPARK FAILURE ON THIS UNIT OCCURRED UNDER THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES AS YOUR MACHINE.....NO SPARK WHEN TRYING TO GET IT READY FOR SEASON.

I THINK YOU ARE GETTING HOSED ON THE PRICE OF THE IGNITION MODULE. THE FELLAS IN THIS FORUM (most more knowledgeable than me) CAN STEER YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.......JACK'S SMALL ENGINE SUPPLY, CHICAGO LAWNMOWER, AND MANY OTHERS.

CAPTAINCONSUMER
post #7 of 18 Old 11-01-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
You are probably right on the price point Captain. I heard that the rust on the coil could cause a problem, would that be the issue?
post #8 of 18 Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
You could try cleaning the rust off and see if that does the trick first. If not, I'd recommend finding the part number and doing a search for the lowest price out there. You usually have to take shipping into account along with the cost of the part.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
No spark

If you pull the flywheel and it looks like this then you have points & condensor.

If this is what it looks like, it's not too difficult to trace with a few simple tools.
Pull the cover off the points and remove the wire from it. Check it with an ohm meter and see if it mades and breaks contact as you rotate the crankshaft.
If you clean up the plates on the magneto coil or flywheel I don't recommend using steel wool. Use something like a scotchbrite pad instead. You won't leave any steel fibers to be attracted to the magnets.
Use a known good sparkplug and ground it and turn the motor over and see if you're getting spark.

I've had a couple with no spark. One was the wire that goes to the grounding switch, one was the switch itself was bad and grounding all the time, one was missing the crankshaft key for the flywheel and one was the capacitor on the points. Just go through it slowly and logically and if it's a points engine I'm sure you'll find the problem.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I can try to pull the flywheel, but according to JD my blower is solid state. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page