JD 826 (1983) MISC Engine Diagnosis Questions - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-09-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
JD 826 (1983) MISC Engine Diagnosis Questions

I have been experiencing a few issues with my 1983 JD 826, which is in really nice condition. I am hoping someone can provide some insight on what might be causing these items and how to resolve them:
1) There are two long bolts that hold the muffler on. These keep working themselves out. Any ideas on how to get them to stop doing that? Loctite maybe?
2) I sometimes clear a friendís driveway a few houses down. I will drive the snow blower over there in top gear (auger not engaged), do the driveway, then drive it back in top gear. Last time, on the way back, the snow blower would go for a bit, then the engine would stumble (like if the choke on), then go for a bit and stumble. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I did not check to see if the muffler was lose. Last time it was lose the engine had some issues running.
3) There is a spot on the muffler that sometimes get red hot. Is this normal?

Any help is much appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-09-2018, 04:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 292
The muffler should have a thing sliver of metal that bridges both bolts. The edges of that piece of metal gets bent up against the bolts to prevent them from backing out. Locking washers should do the trick as well. Locktite can work, but I usually don’t use it on exhaust bolts.

Can’t be totally sure about the stumbling but a red hot exhaust is usually a sign of running lean. Out of spec valve lash leaves the exhaust valve open during the powerstroke exhausting the hottest combustion gases and possibly causing the glowing muffler as well. Incorrect valve lash is a big performance reducer and typically is accompanied by popping and sparks out of the muffler.

I would check your compression with a gage and see what your numbers are. If it’s low, add a little bit of oil to the cylinder and check again. The number shouldn’t go up much if the valve lash is out.

Side note, A drastic increase in compression after adding oil to the cylinder is indicative of bad rings.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-09-2018 at 05:02 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Long bolts in exhaust. Best thing is pick up a piece of metal to lock the bolts in place. Most small engine places should have them or you can make something out of a strong can.
https://www.milfordpower.com/651002-...t-p/651002.htm I think this is the one you'd need.

Stumbling when transporting. Are you tipping it back when this is happening ?? If so might be tipping it too far and it's running out or low on gas in the carb bowl.

Not sure about the red spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l200.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	131034  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-09-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page