JD 2018 44" snowblower belt tension problems. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-11-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
JD 2018 44" snowblower belt tension problems.

Hi everyone:
This year I bought a JD E130 with the 44" snowblower. My dealer put the blower together for me so that all I had to do this fall is install it. With a lot of time and effort I have it installed.After installing I noticed that the main auger turned at a very very slow rate while the second stage was just flying around. Going through the manual again I read that it was a "low tension system" and not to worry.
Yesterday I finally got to use the new blower. It didn't blow much snow but worked great as a snowplow, with an occasional short burst of blowing.
Today after reading the manual again, I did a visual check and the belt was certainly loose in the engage position. I can increase the belt tension by pulling the tension arm towards the front of the tractor. I feel this might remedy the problem. I cannot find any way to make the tension arm make that last little bit of travel on its' own.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you can give me.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Bompa

Last edited by Bompa; 11-11-2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Wrong wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-11-2018, 11:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Hello Bompa,

Since you have been saddled with the Canadian RAD JUNK like I was:

Check to make sure that you have both springs in the same hole on the tensioner arm. One spring on one side and the other spring on the opposing side to tension the driven belt. Their manuals SUCK and do a very poor job of illustrating things.

JD had a service bulletin that I only found out about from another JD dealer that showed that many of the 2 stage units were shipped short of parts from RAD, GRRRR, JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your dealer is a good dealer you can ask if these snow blower have had service bulletins sent out about these models.

If they are thorough they will look and be honest with you.

These people need to bring back single stage snow throwers soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by leonz; 11-11-2018 at 11:37 AM. Reason: stuff/spelling and punctuation corrections
post #3 of 8 Old 11-11-2018, 12:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 99
My son has an earlier model JD 140 with the 2 stage 44" blower and it works very well. Since your unit is new then your dealer can help with the belt tension question. A few pictures of your setup from different angles will help him see what is wrong. Attached is a pic of his blower, the drive for the blower is engaged all the time so just the electric clutch operates the drive belt from the tractor to the blower unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JD snowblower attachment.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	148363  

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 8 Old 11-11-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
My son has an earlier model JD 140 with the 2 stage 44" blower and it works very well. Since your unit is new then your dealer can help with the belt tension question. A few pictures of your setup from different angles will help him see what is wrong. Attached is a pic of his blower, the drive for the blower is engaged all the time so just the electric clutch operates the drive belt from the tractor to the blower unit.
Thanks but my model is the same as Spanky's.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-11-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
Hello Bompa,

Since you have been saddled with the Canadian RAD JUNK like I was:

Check to make sure that you have both springs in the same hole on the tensioner arm. One spring on one side and the other spring on the opposing side to tension the driven belt. Their manuals SUCK and do a very poor job of illustrating things.

JD had a service bulletin that I only found out about from another JD dealer that showed that many of the 2 stage units were shipped short of parts from RAD, GRRRR, JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your dealer is a good dealer you can ask if these snow blower have had service bulletins sent out about these models.

If they are thorough they will look and be honest with you.

These people need to bring back single stage snow throwers soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Just took a look and there is only one hole on each side of the tension arm.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Yes the two springs share the same hole.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
You might also try https://www.mytractorforum.com/forum.php or https://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/ The tractor forum might have more JD guys familiar with that models operation.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-30-2018, 05:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Angry Spring into action

I found with my 2007 44" had the same issue, I put in a heavier spring on the tensioner arm and the slippage stopped. The flat top likes to collect snow which kills your arm if you have the manual lift arm, poor design on many fronts but when they are working well they'll throw snow into the next county..PS coat the parts that contact the snow with Johnson's paste wax, buy the drift plates or make your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in